Game 6 Recap: Cubs 3, Astros 2
pitched 7 relatively strong innings with 7 Ks and 2 ER. His worst
trouble came in the first, which began with runners at 2nd and 3rd
before Erstad struck out and Lee flew into a 7-2 DP, with Soriano
nailing Bourn at the plate. Cubs pitchers didn't allow a walk,
and Zambrano cruised through the middle third of the game with 9
straight outs. No one reached base against Marmol or Wood in the
8th and 9th
finally made an out, and even that was a lined shot that might have
cleared the wall on another day. His go-ahead home run off of
Villarreal was hit about as hard as a person can hit a ball.
Everything is getting smokback up the middle of the field.
throw home in the top of the first was perfect. He also hit one out,
just scraping over the basket in the left field wall to give the Cubs a
2-1 lead. Hopefully it's the start of better days ahead.
- Am I the only person who didn't know that Z likes to pitch with the blue Cubs uniforms? Heh.
is singing the Anthem, he totally swallowed the word "perilous." How do
you elongate every single syllable, as this guy is doing, and then
swallow "perilous" ? Meh.
- 2-2 count to Bourn, who rolls one to DeRosa's left for a single into right, leading off the game
- Len tells us Z has given up 7 SB in 22 attempts in the last three years, total.
- But Bourn doesn't get a chance to test Z, as Pence hits a double
inside the LF line. Runners on 2 and 3, no out, and the fearsom
Lance Berkman up. Except no, it's the fearsome Darin
Erstad. Oh cripes, I can't write that with a straight face.
Darin Erstad is up, lol.
- Darin Erstad is down, swinging. Some slow breaking pitch, 71 mph. Thanks, Cecil Cooper.
- Lee hits a fly ball to medium depth in left. Can hear Len
getting excited about the pending test of Bourn's speed vs. Soriano's
arm. Soriano throws a perfect one-hopper to the plate, at a point
that allows Blanco to perfectly block off the plate. Nails Bourn,
with ease. Zambrano, backing up behind Blanco, pumps his fist in
excitement. Gets out of a 2 and 3, no outs jam with no runs
- Soriano rolls out to Blum at third. Got a nice ovation, at least, as he came to the plate
- Johnson K's, swinging.
- Lee lines one right over Bourn's head. Double to center.
- Camera pans to a huge collection of water bottles behind Z in the
dugout. BJB starts singing "99 bottles of water on the wall..."
- Ramirez walks.
- Nice ovation for Fukudome
- Mighty Kosuke At the Bat
- If I didn't know better, Mighty Kosuke gives a mild glare at a very generous called strike 2
- and Mighty Kosuke has struck out.
Inning 2- Top
- Z has a 20 and 2/3 scoreless inning streak, going back to last year?!?!
- Tejada taps to Z, one out.
- Blum whiffs on a 69mph curve. Blum came closer to hitting
the pitch on his backswing than he did on his foreswing, as he was at
least a couple feet out in front of it.
- Tomas Perez, still alive, pulls one into right for a single.
- Towles with an easy fly to left, inning over.
Inning 2 - Bottom
- DeRosa singles through the hole to left.
- DeRosa runs as Theriot grounds to third. Blum throws to
second, and DeRosa beats the throw. Theriot beats the relay to
first as well, everybody safe. Ugly fielding work by both Blum
and Perez on the play. That's what you get for having the name
- Blanco lines one sharply to right. Bases loaded for Z!
- Z takes a Babe Ruth style uppercut swing, but weakly rolls into a 4-6-3 DP. Run scores, at least. Runner to third.
- Soriano strikes out on three pitches.
Inning 3 - Top
- Backe bloops one towards the shallow RF line, drops
in. Fukudome overplays it a bit, and it squirts past him.
Backe takes second.
- Bourn bounces out to DeRosa, Backe advances
- Some nobodies from Budweiser who are confusing themselves for
celebrities show up in the booth and waste all of our time. Go
away. I'm missing the Lord of The Rings on TNT to listen to THIS?
- Pence flies to shallow right, and Fukudome throws a perfect one-hopper to Blanco. Backe holds at third base.
- These budweiser douchebags continue their promotional work.
I'm watching Lord of the Rings. The little munchin guys are
battling some huge CGI monster in some dwarf dungeon somewhere.
- I'm told Erstad lined one to Center, letting Backe score.
But the Bud guys are still yacking, so I'm watching the little dwarfs
and wizards and whatnot on TNT. Oh, go big effininate looking
Elf-man! Kill the CGI Beast!
- And according to Parachat, Erstad is out stealing second on a nice throw by Blanco, and a questionable tag.
Inning 3 - Bottom
- Johnson pops out to center. Pie could have done that.
- Lee not happy with a strike two call on a slow curve, outside corner.
- Lee hits one hard to dead center, again, but Bourn catches it on
the warning track. Wind is blowing in, holds it up. Lee's 6
straight ABs with a hit comes to an end. But he still looks
totally locked in
- Ramirez follows it up with a little blooper that drops perfectly
between CF, RF and 2B. BJB comments on the lack of justice in
baseball. Somewhere, Voros McCracken is smiling.
- Fukudome laces one to center, forcing Bourn to retreat and make a
leaping twisting catch. Bourn has struggled to get good reads on
several hard hit line-drives at him. (Not that it's easy to do,
but it's happening with regularity...)
Inning 4 - Top
- Carlos Lee singles sharply to left.
- Tejada hits one
up the middle. Theriot grabs in in front of second, decides
against trying to shovel the ball against his momentum, and just throws
to first for one out. Lee to second.
- Pence pops to Theriot.
- BJB ripping the DH, on this the 35th anniversary of its introduction. Go Bob!
- Tomas Perez with an ugly swing at strike 3, inning over.
Inning 4 - Bottom
- DeRosa pops to shallow center. Bourn, running in hard
and looking into the sun, has the ball bounce off the heel of his
glove. DeRosa on, at first.
- BJB and Len discussing Bob's career as a leadoff hitter. So glad I can listen to my first WGN broadcast, here.
- Theriot K's, Blanco flies out to left, and it's up to Z.
- And Z K's swinging. What a boring inning. Backe with 4 hits, a BB and 5 Ks through four IP
Inning 5 - Top
- Towles K's swinging at a fastball. Z's fastball has
rarely broken 90 mph this game, going with a lot more off-speed stuff.
- Backe taps back to Z.
- Bourn flies out to left. Z suddenly cruising. Six hits, zero walks, 4 Ks through 5.
Inning 5 - Bottom
- Soriano leads off the bottom of the sixth by swatting a
hanging curve ball into the basket of the left-field well. Just barely
enough to get out. 2-1 Cubs.
- Johnson rolls out to Blum. Pie could have done that.
- Lee walks.
- Didn't realize it until Len says so, but Hart's win yesterday was his first in the majors. Congrats!
- Ramirez inside-outs one to right, through the 1B hole. Nice hitting, runners on 1 and 2, one out
- Kosuke at the bat.
- Fukudome walks. Bases loaded for DeRosa
- DeRosa K's, way out in front of a breaking pitch
- Theriot up, bases loaded and two outs.
- 2-2 count, Theriot reaches a bit for one, rolls slowly to Tejada, out at first. So much for that inning.
- It's the Foster Kids ad!
Inning 6 - Top
- Pence chops to Lee, wide of the bag. Flips to Z to beat Pence by a step
whiffs, the ball goes to the backstop, riccochettes right back to
Blanco, who throws to first to just get Erstad, and without Lee getting
clobbered, either. Well executed and also lucky play
- Carlos Lee flies deep to the well in left. 9 straight for Zambrano.
Inning 6 - Bottom.
- Blanco flies to straight-away center.
- Zambrano whiffs. For a second, thinks about splitting the
bat over his leg, but decides better of it. Z then goes back to
the bench and discusses the virtues of a well diversified
portfolio. Ah, maturity.
- Soriano pops to Perez.
Inning 7 - Top
- Z hangs a slider over the heart of the plate on an 0-2
count, and Tejada crushes it deep into the bleachers behind the well in
left. 2-2 game.
- After a long battle, Blum K's on a full-count fastball, looking. Blum not happy about it, but pretty clearly a strike.
- Perez taps back to Zambrano for an easy out.
- Bob Dernier into the booth, looks like he could still play OF.
- Towles blown away on a fastball, inning over.
- Dernier not the greatest singer, but tries his best. Sort of truncates all of his words, very clipped manner.
Inning 7 - Bottom
- Oscar Villarreal in.
- Johnson with a lazy fly to right. Pie could have done that.
- Lee demolishes a baseball way up the bleachers to
left-center. Solo HR. He's just hitting everything right on
the screws. 3-2 Cubs.
- Ramirez k's.
- Kosuke at the bat.
- Fukudome squirts one to third, easy out.
Inning 8 - Top
- Marmol and Pie both in, Z and Johnson out.
- Cruz Jr. up to hit.
- Cruz flies to shallow left
- Weird play. On a 3-2 count, Bourn checks his swing, things
it's ball four and that he held up, and runs to first. Blanco
things it was either a called or swinging strike three, and fires it
around the horn. Finally, home plate ump appeals to third base
ump, who says Bourn swung. Strikeout. Third base ump puts
up the left hand in a big old "Stop" sign, telling the managers to not
bother arguing the call.
- Pence K's looking at a fastball on the outside corner.
Makes a gesture at the outside corner, not happy at the call. Runge's
been a bit inconsistent with the balls and strikes, more to the
annoyance of the Astros than the Cubs.
Inning 8 - Bottom
- Borkowski in to pitch, DeRosa up
- DeRosa rolls out to third.
- Theriot breaks his bat in half hitting one to Erstad's
right. Erstad flubs it and Theriot beats the throw to
first. Ruled a hit. Somehow
- Blanco ends the inning on a 5-4-3 DP
Inning 9 - Top
- Wood in, to face Erstad, LEe, Tejada
- Erstad with an easy come-backer to Wood. One out.
- Lee grounds easily to Ramirez. Two out.
- "Ker-Ree" chant starts
- Wood reaching 95 mph on the gun, as he goes 1-2 on Tejada
- Tejada K's swinging on a nice slider that drops straight down. Game over!
- Cue the foster kids ad!
- The Anthem
- Manny's fine catch in the Jays/Sox game
- Will we ever see Pie again?
- Can Fukudome play CF?
- CT Steve gets tenure. I die a little more, inside.
- "Pie uncorks some pretty foul balls." Thanks, Aaron.
- NCAA pools. Oh, is there anything more exciting than listening to peoples' triumphs and tragedies with their brackets.
- How's Murton doing in AAA?
- Tony Stewart: Why nascar isn't a sport.
- Starts to our fantasy baseball seasons
- Discussing the renovated inflield
- and 69 mph breaking pitches.
- Soriano's hop-catches
- The "seeing eye" term
- Enjoying the botched 5-4-3 DP
- Urging Blanco to bunt the runners over for Z.
- Actually following the top of the third inning
- Griping about the Budweiser guys.
- Mocking Darin Erstad
- OMG, it's Johann
- Johann gripes about the quality of the paint-work in parachat
- And tells us that Lee is his "dreamboat queen."
- If Zambrano were a RPG character, punching Barrett would improve his life-bar
- Commenting on BJB's commentary on the DH
- Ripping on Dusty
- Andy discovers the "float" button.
- Andy is floating.
- Rob's girls are peeing.
- Johann and Me are cooking and eating
- CT Steve is never doing anything, ever again.
- Tax returns spent on picking off Cubs.
- Carlos rick rolls parachat. Jerk.
- Question of parachat so far: What would have happened to Len on the show "OZ"? Thanks, aaron.
- General discussion of len and bob.
- Johann leaves us to get back to his house, family and child. I die a little further, inside.
- Duck season?
- Rabbit season!
- Did the Devil abandon the Devil Rays?
- Chad begs us to laugh at a "joke"
- Bands Chad Hates.
- SNL skits.
- Watching games with Al.
- God Bless Desipio
- We love Dernier's voice.
- Big cheers for Lee
- Clay Aiken, Neil Diamond and Barry Manilow
- Bands that will give you 1992-cred.
- The weird Bourn strike three call
- WGN graphics
- Weather girls
- Corner Gas and other fine WGN programming.
- Is Crunch a terrorist?
- Fantasy talk.
- Cubs beards
- Cubs record in games I recap: 2-0
You read it..... you can't Un-read it!
Hey, whatta bout me?
....and Theo thought EJax, Sveum and Ricky were good ideas. Win some, lose some.
I thought he was better than Archer?
/f u Hendry
The Padres signed RHP Trey McNutt to a minor league contract...
Yeah, she's a good egg. The whole superdelegate thing is shady as fuck though.
the perks of being a
big fundraisermodel representative citizen.
honestly, though...the dnc could do worse and she's involved in all kinds of dem party stuff.
I didn't realize Laura Ricketts is a superdelegate.
pretty much...also agree that it wouldn't surprise me to see him land with the cubs, too.
the trade to free up room for him would be interesting.
holy crap...j.mejia got busted AGAIN for PEDs.
3rd time...lifetime ban.
oddly...or not...fowler's been strongly linked to the O's lately.
The Cubs have claimed C.J. Riefenhauser LHP on waivers from the Orioles. Edgar Olmos was again DFA.