Kerry 20K Viewing Party Plus Other Odds and Ends
We've been meaning to do this most of the offseason, but I think we've finally settled on a date. So Sunday, February 22nd at 9PM CST, we're going to gather in Parachat and watch the Kerry Wood 20K game. We know a lot of you own the Chicago Cubs DVD set and that's what most of us will be watching. I believe they showed the game on MLB Network recently, so maybe you Tivo'd it. Considering we normally have people watching from various different feeds during the season, we'll figure out how to sync it up to everyone's satsifaction. If you don't have access to the game and want to partake in the festivities, drop a note in the comments and I think we can work out something.
So come join us and get your Parachat fix on, Transmission will be doing one of his game recaps. I believe it's Oscar night as well, so that should give us some good material as well.
UPDATE: One of our dear readers points out that you can purchase the game from Itunes for about $2.
More fun after the jump...
- In terrifying news, Robbie Alomar Jr. is being sued by his ex-girlfriend for forcing unprotected sex upon her while having AIDS. You have to suspect of a woman deciding trying to cash in for $15M just a few months after they broke up, but the AIDS angle is probaby true since it would be easy enough to prove and I can't imagine a lawyer would take on the case if it wasn't.
Best wishes to Alomar's health, one of the great second basemen of all-time.
- I updated the TCR Free Agent Frenzy contest with the signings of Bobby Abreu, Adam Dunn and Ben Sheets being off the table. It's currently a tie between Real Neal and cincykid. There are 3 possible outcomes assuming no one signs Ben Sheets before March 1st (I'm using that as the cutoff since I really can't imagine a scenario where Sheets would sign before the draft and a team would cough up draft picks).
If Manny Ramirez signs with the Dodgers, cincykid wins...
If with the Angels, Real Neal wins...
If with the Yankees, Tito wins...
If with anyone else, it's a tie between Neal and cincykid...
In case of a tie, I'll figure out something with the prize(s).
- Fangraphs and Mitchel Lichtman try to look at a first basemen's scoop ability. Derrek Lee is curiously nowhere to be found. If I understand the WOWY methodology though (without and with you) , it might be tough to get much of an accurate read since Lee plays just about every game. The only real data would be from 2006.
1. Mets--because of the losses in the rotation
2. Giants--because they're not the team they were BUT they maybe have bullshit even-year magic?
3. Cardinals--because rivalry and not making the playoffs hurts them more than losing in the NLDS plus getting eliminated by them in the playoffs would make for horrible sports commentary next throughout next season.
CLE/DET rained out last night already, possible rain-outs in New York (vs. Baltimore), Boston(vs. Toronto) and Philly(vs. Mets) this weekend too.
Not only games involving playoff spots that would need to be played, but any that involve home field advantage.
I got the first one! Second one I'm not even sure what even/odd betting is.
any opponent preference for NLDS?
Mets are down to 1 great pitcher instead of 4. Syndegaard may pitch Sunday which means if Mets win the WC game, he'd be set up for Game 1. There's a chance they clinch a spot by Sunday so he'd pitch the WC and then we'd probably get Colon for Game 1. They've certainly had the hottest bats over the last week and month out of the WC options.
A couple of Cub related puzzles.
Can't teach height and thinness
Hopefully Pirates don't call up A. Lincoln.
j.buchanan going friday...should be...baseball...or something like it.
Wow. I didn't know they could do that.
Nice for Willson, not so much for Addy.
Game is officially called...also officially a tie.
Stats count, no make-up date of course.
Yeah -- seeing the weather -- I hope KB and Rizz are inside, wrapped in blankets and drinking hot chocolate.
rain delay...thanks obama.
Thanks again Phil. We actually were in Mesa and drove around. Hopefully, I am back for some Fall League. If not I have all of spring training (like the smart people who move here!)
What Rob G said. I can't speak for Piittsburgh, but the other end of the state has had absolute crap weather for two days. Perfect day to take it easy.
tarp came off 10 minutes ago...let's do this.