Kerry 20K Viewing Party Plus Other Odds and Ends
We've been meaning to do this most of the offseason, but I think we've finally settled on a date. So Sunday, February 22nd at 9PM CST, we're going to gather in Parachat and watch the Kerry Wood 20K game. We know a lot of you own the Chicago Cubs DVD set and that's what most of us will be watching. I believe they showed the game on MLB Network recently, so maybe you Tivo'd it. Considering we normally have people watching from various different feeds during the season, we'll figure out how to sync it up to everyone's satsifaction. If you don't have access to the game and want to partake in the festivities, drop a note in the comments and I think we can work out something.
So come join us and get your Parachat fix on, Transmission will be doing one of his game recaps. I believe it's Oscar night as well, so that should give us some good material as well.
UPDATE: One of our dear readers points out that you can purchase the game from Itunes for about $2.
More fun after the jump...
- In terrifying news, Robbie Alomar Jr. is being sued by his ex-girlfriend for forcing unprotected sex upon her while having AIDS. You have to suspect of a woman deciding trying to cash in for $15M just a few months after they broke up, but the AIDS angle is probaby true since it would be easy enough to prove and I can't imagine a lawyer would take on the case if it wasn't.
Best wishes to Alomar's health, one of the great second basemen of all-time.
- I updated the TCR Free Agent Frenzy contest with the signings of Bobby Abreu, Adam Dunn and Ben Sheets being off the table. It's currently a tie between Real Neal and cincykid. There are 3 possible outcomes assuming no one signs Ben Sheets before March 1st (I'm using that as the cutoff since I really can't imagine a scenario where Sheets would sign before the draft and a team would cough up draft picks).
If Manny Ramirez signs with the Dodgers, cincykid wins...
If with the Angels, Real Neal wins...
If with the Yankees, Tito wins...
If with anyone else, it's a tie between Neal and cincykid...
In case of a tie, I'll figure out something with the prize(s).
- Fangraphs and Mitchel Lichtman try to look at a first basemen's scoop ability. Derrek Lee is curiously nowhere to be found. If I understand the WOWY methodology though (without and with you) , it might be tough to get much of an accurate read since Lee plays just about every game. The only real data would be from 2006.
Oil Can Boyd now pitching for the Cubs
- The pressure of going for the regular-season wins record is now gone.
- Joe will come up with more wacky dress-up ideas for the team to wear after they lose their next get-away game.
- There is more clarity on Spencer Patton.
- We play the Reds next. They aren't very good.
- We'll have at least a 9 game lead after today.
Other than that, not much -- nasty stretch. Two ugly losses in the last 4 games.
Ugh -- give Lackey a 4-1 lead, you hope for better.
It's a long season. There will be stretches like this. It's Saturday night. Drink copiously but responsibly.
That valuable RBIGIDP.
Someone talk me down here.
I remember AZ PHIL talking about Bour's power during the Hendry era.
Time to scrap the scouting report on Justin Bour and get a new one. Sheesh.
Contreras seems pretty adamant he'll play anywhere Madden wants him to so as long as he stays hot and with all the injuries it'll be pretty nice to have yet another bat Madden can move around.
Rizzo in, Zobrist out, Willson in LF, Montero back and Almora batting 9th ... let's score some runs
Time for Mr. Oh to get some save chances.
Rosenthal does it again! Comes in with a 3-1 lead in the 9th -- double, BB, HR...ballgame.
Very nice win last nice -- could have caved in after the bottom of the first. It would be OK if guys stopped getting hurt, and if SF would lose a few.
Awesome. It wasn't long ago that he was kind of the best prospect coming through the system.
Javy's grunge dive into the stands for the popup was awesome - the hitting into the double play not so much
Third time I've tried to post this (forgive me if it winds up appearing three times)
Junior Lake, batting 9th and playing RF for the Blue Jays...
*That was a fun HALF inning.