This Little Piggy Went to Iowa

Sean Marshall was supposed to start for the Iowa Cubs tonight against Albuquerque in Des Moines. Instead he's on his way to Pittsburgh, exchanging roster spots with Carmen Pignatiello. Apparently Lou Piniella huffed and puffed and blew 'Piggy' back to the minors after the southpaw showed his appreciation for making the big club by walking both hitters he faced in Monday's 10-8 torture tilt.

Comments

Boo. But oh well... he will be back at some point.

Not sure that I am a fan of wasting Marshall in the bullpen though.

Sorry guys. I see this news was posted earlier deep in the comments beneath the Billy Buck post. I was hoping to watch Marshall tonight. Gallagher is supposed to throw tomorrow, but the weather forecast is not good. Pretty short leash they had 'Piggy' on...

Strange move -- Marshall in the pen only diminishes his value, either to the Cubs or to someone else.

I'm not Sean is the the right guy for the job. I think his struggles in relief this spring proved that.

I've always thought it to be a general rule that soft tossing left-handers don't make good relievers. Of course there are exceptions to that, so maybe he'll do OK. I'm not particularly optimistic about it, though.

Cedeno starting tonight @ SS

Hope the fans in the first few rows in the RF boxes pay attention, one of his throws could give 'em a facial if they're not looking.

Yeah, boo. Piggy may have been terrible, but Marshall won't be appreciably better and his value, and much higher upside, are hurt by going back to the pen.

Way to go, Piniella! Sending Piggy down to Iowa after a few brief outings will surely teach him not to suck next time he gets called up. Clearly he wasn't aware that he was supposed to try to get outs.

And Marshall in the bullpen makes all sorts of sense.

I'm trying out sarcasm today.

• he should hit more of those. that would be an ideal outcome. /moneyballs

crunch 46 min 9 sec ago view
  • Russell with 19 RBI in July so far. Grand Slams help.

billybucks 1 hour 27 min ago view
  • ...and Familia with back-to-back blown saves. Blows a one-run lead vs. Rockies today, gets his 2nd consecutive loss.

I am OK with the Mets missing the playoffs and suffering crushing losses at home --- just want them to beat St. Louis.

He played with fire twice agains the Cubs -- unfortunately, the Cubs couldn't stop swinging.

billybucks 1 hour 31 min ago view
  • How about Kyle Farnsworth? I know he was consistently upper 90s.

videographer 3 hours 26 min ago view
  • If he puts up Soriano numbers I will be ecstatic

jacos 5 hours 14 min ago view
  • I think Javy is learning--but he's learning to make contact, not learning to lay off pitches out of the zone. A quick glance at his plate discipline numbers on Fangraphs shows that his contact rate is up, especially his contact rate out of the zone, but his swing rate is up too, especially his swing rate out of the zone.

• I definitely saw ballpark radar guns go up to 102 on Kerry Wood back when he was still a starter, but who knows how accurate they were.

• They've mentioned Henry Rodriguez (2013), Chris Carpenter, and Andrew Cashner as Cubs who have gone 100+. They said Rodriguez was tops at 100.8. Who knows before 2008?

QuietMan 7 hours 25 min ago view
  • Regarding Heyward--

He'll play regardless of what he does, just like Soriano played for seven years before they finally ditched him.

What can they do? All I can think of is they can keep hiring and firing hitting coaches until they find one who can get him to stop hitting balls with the handle of the bat.

(All those broken bats added to his paycheck is just a bit much.)

VirginiaPhil 7 hours 26 min ago view
  • Lester will probably be all right.

I think Arrieta might have added too much muscle preparing for that butt-naked ESPN photo shoot. Pitchers are supposed to be loose, not muscled up.

Seriously.

VirginiaPhil 7 hours 33 min ago view
  • I have basically written off Heyward for this year -- if you are working on major swing changes in late July, you are going to struggle. Hopefully, he can be more productive at the plate next year. It will be interesting to see what they do with him if the Cardinals keep winning and close the gap. Heyward is dead last in the NL in slugging and in the bottom 5 in OPS -- yet still has a positive WAR. Hunh.

• Has anybody in a Cub uniform ever thrown a ball 103 before?

VirginiaPhil 7 hours 40 min ago view
  • He certainly looks better, no doubt, and is a different player than what we saw when he first came up. Full credit to him for changing his approach and saving his career.

But he has zero walks in 35AB since the break, and 10 in 251 AB all year. He does seem to be able to hit some pitches out of the zone, but, a guy with his pop should be drawing more walks. However, it's easy to forget he is still only 23, and probably trying to make an impact to prove he should be an everyday player.

• The usual suspects, Molina and Wong. Gyorko drew a walk with two outs, none on. I recall us (particularly Szczur and Bryant) swinging at everything Familia threw.

VirginiaPhil 7 hours 50 min ago view