This Little Piggy Went to Iowa

Sean Marshall was supposed to start for the Iowa Cubs tonight against Albuquerque in Des Moines. Instead he's on his way to Pittsburgh, exchanging roster spots with Carmen Pignatiello. Apparently Lou Piniella huffed and puffed and blew 'Piggy' back to the minors after the southpaw showed his appreciation for making the big club by walking both hitters he faced in Monday's 10-8 torture tilt.

Comments

Boo. But oh well... he will be back at some point.

Not sure that I am a fan of wasting Marshall in the bullpen though.

Sorry guys. I see this news was posted earlier deep in the comments beneath the Billy Buck post. I was hoping to watch Marshall tonight. Gallagher is supposed to throw tomorrow, but the weather forecast is not good. Pretty short leash they had 'Piggy' on...

Strange move -- Marshall in the pen only diminishes his value, either to the Cubs or to someone else.

I'm not Sean is the the right guy for the job. I think his struggles in relief this spring proved that.

I've always thought it to be a general rule that soft tossing left-handers don't make good relievers. Of course there are exceptions to that, so maybe he'll do OK. I'm not particularly optimistic about it, though.

Cedeno starting tonight @ SS

Hope the fans in the first few rows in the RF boxes pay attention, one of his throws could give 'em a facial if they're not looking.

Yeah, boo. Piggy may have been terrible, but Marshall won't be appreciably better and his value, and much higher upside, are hurt by going back to the pen.

Way to go, Piniella! Sending Piggy down to Iowa after a few brief outings will surely teach him not to suck next time he gets called up. Clearly he wasn't aware that he was supposed to try to get outs.

And Marshall in the bullpen makes all sorts of sense.

I'm trying out sarcasm today.

• Don't know if Cubs will recover from "spanking" Gordo

jacos 1 hour 11 min ago view
  • 2nd in defensive WAR, NL.

6th in NL in RBI

Go complain about something else, like, "they never play good against the good teams", or some other shit.

• Addy really has trouble breaking through .250 BA -- after his hot streak got him to .251, he has gone 1-for-17.

• Thank goodness for Jansen's 2 WP on Friday -- otherwise this would have been a sweep.

• There seems to be a direct correlation with overconfidence in the Cubs offense against mediocre/young pitchers and really poor offense against mediocre/young pitchers. So, let's fear the Pirate pitchers!

• Rizzo due for a power surge -- one HR in August so far. He truly does hit them in bunches.

• Sometimes I'm not as supportive of Cahill as maybe I should be. There, I said it.

Jackstraw 15 hours 42 min ago view
  • Rough 8th inning all around -- HBP, Cahill error, Javy's poor decision.

Oh well - given that the Cubs didn't look like they were going to score, it's better to lose in 9 innings, save the bullpen and get changed for the PJ trip home.

• Baez still learning

jacos 16 hours 10 min ago view
  • heyward with his 3rd multi-hit game since the all-star break (all in august)...2nd in the past 3 games during his 7 game hitting streak.

he's gone from flirting with a sub-.300 ob% to nearing .310 ob% in 3 games (1 game was just a 1 for 1 pinch hit appearance). all 5 hits in the past 3 games have come in a row...neat.

• stewart with 7Ks through 3ip...of course.

that 10-13 mph difference in his fastball/change is working today...and they're swinging at his crappy slider.

• brock stewart...steven brault...fun times for the cubs hitters vs allegedly competitive teams...maybe.

• Maddon would have started three lefties against the Dodgers, Montgomery, Zastryzny and Lester, except that he doesn't have the juice to do that. No manager does. Maddon has a boss, Epstein (and probably Hoyer, too), who gave him a starting rotation of five guys including Hammel. Maddon was asked yesterday about the starting group for next year and basically said, Not my call, that's why I drive away in my RV in the summer and occasionally check in, etc.

VirginiaPhil 23 hours 39 min ago view
  • video of Maddon.

always nice that he actually tries to honestly answer questions. Does mention that he wanted to give Zastr? a chance in a meaningful spot rather than a mop-up role.

Rob G. 1 day 14 hours ago view
  • from Muskat:

#Cubs Maddon: "I'm not going to make up an excuse for why I did what I did. It has nothing to do with lack of confidence" ... "It was the right thing to do today based on what I saw, what their lineup looked like and Rob Z.'s availability." #Cubs

Rob G. 1 day 14 hours ago view

Hammel not particularly understanding of getting pulled out...as he should. Be curious what Maddon had to say. All I can think of is is keeping arms fresh and maybe wanting to see if Zastr? is worth considering for the playoffs and how he'd do against the Dodgers.

Rob G. 1 day 15 hours ago view