This Little Piggy Went to Iowa

Sean Marshall was supposed to start for the Iowa Cubs tonight against Albuquerque in Des Moines. Instead he's on his way to Pittsburgh, exchanging roster spots with Carmen Pignatiello. Apparently Lou Piniella huffed and puffed and blew 'Piggy' back to the minors after the southpaw showed his appreciation for making the big club by walking both hitters he faced in Monday's 10-8 torture tilt.

Comments

Boo. But oh well... he will be back at some point.

Not sure that I am a fan of wasting Marshall in the bullpen though.

Sorry guys. I see this news was posted earlier deep in the comments beneath the Billy Buck post. I was hoping to watch Marshall tonight. Gallagher is supposed to throw tomorrow, but the weather forecast is not good. Pretty short leash they had 'Piggy' on...

Strange move -- Marshall in the pen only diminishes his value, either to the Cubs or to someone else.

I'm not Sean is the the right guy for the job. I think his struggles in relief this spring proved that.

I've always thought it to be a general rule that soft tossing left-handers don't make good relievers. Of course there are exceptions to that, so maybe he'll do OK. I'm not particularly optimistic about it, though.

Cedeno starting tonight @ SS

Hope the fans in the first few rows in the RF boxes pay attention, one of his throws could give 'em a facial if they're not looking.

Yeah, boo. Piggy may have been terrible, but Marshall won't be appreciably better and his value, and much higher upside, are hurt by going back to the pen.

Way to go, Piniella! Sending Piggy down to Iowa after a few brief outings will surely teach him not to suck next time he gets called up. Clearly he wasn't aware that he was supposed to try to get outs.

And Marshall in the bullpen makes all sorts of sense.

I'm trying out sarcasm today.

• Good gravy, was that a much-appreciated top of the first.

Transmission 14 min 31 sec ago view
  • That's a good analogy, bb...  Nice to see tonight's game start with a 104 yard kickoff return TD.

Transmission 16 min 51 sec ago view
  • Grichuk won the game last night but a decent CF would have caught that drive by Ross. Good Cubbery!

Cubster 17 min 5 sec ago view
  • this game is WAY better than last night.

6 run 1st for the cubs...

crunch 19 min 2 sec ago view
  • Very bizarre game -- as you say, both Cubs pitchers were dominant until the one fatal pitch. It was like watching the Bears defense shut down a team, and then lose on 2 punt returns. Some better hitting with RISP would be a good idea, too.

billybucks 1 hour 46 min ago view
  • Trouble Boys, the Replacements bio, is a great option. I'm sure Chad loved it.

Tito 3 hours 2 min ago view
  • Amen Brick. What's the point of following early-season games if you can't over-react to them? What, we should be reading books now?

• "Weren't the National considered a near lock last year?"

No, I think you're thinking of Radiohead, The 1975, or Bowie's last album.

Although The National's Greatful Dead tribute is pretty cool.

• I don't think they're any kind of lock, though I do expect they'll make the playoffs.

It's not like I'm glad they've gone 4-8. I just don't think it's time to be all that worried -- just like I didn't think they were going to keep playing .730 ball.

Tito 3 hours 32 min ago view
  • vegas isn't a fan of the game because of how erratic and unpredictable it is.

SF has recently won 3 world series many thought they weren't supposed to win...BOS won a world series recently that they weren't even supposed to be in the playoffs for...favored teams with huge wins have seen 1st round exists...fun times.

• I think they'll be ok too. But having watched this team since the mid-60s, I never think it's time to conclude, well, thank god the drought is over. I've seen/heard way too many people who follow the Cubs say glad we're finally going to win the Series this year. Please. Weren't the National considered a near lock last year?

BobbyD 3 hours 52 min ago view
  • Best record in baseball and largest division lead.

I'm jumping right now!

Tito 4 hours 8 min ago view
  • Can we please stop pointing out how ridiculous it is to panic and start panicking in earnest?

Brick 5 hours 32 min ago view
  • ,571 winning percentage in May.

I think they're gonna be OK.

Tito 6 hours 55 min ago view
  • RAISIN: All I know is that Oscar de la Cruz is still shut down, and I don't know what his prognosis is, or what the plan is going forward.

Arizona Phil 9 hours 14 min ago view
  • Remember just two weeks ago, when "all" they had to do was play .500 ball the rest of the season and coast into the playoffs?

BobbyD 9 hours 16 min ago view