Today in Cubs History: 12-13

12-13-1999 - Traded Richard Negrette to the Baltimore Orioles. Received Augie Ojeda. 12-13-1996 - Signed Kevin Tapani as a free agent. 12-13-1995 - Signed Rob Dibble as a free agent. Not much to mention, today. Tapani won 19 games for the 1998 Cubs, in spite of a 4.85 era. Rob Dibble never made the club, mercifully.

Comments

Kevin Tapani...1998...1-0 over the Braves in Game 2 of the NLDS heading into the 9th. JAVIER F**** LOPEZ.

Lack of bullpen still haunts us.

I seem to remember Jeff Blauser playing a key roll in that 1998 game. I don't remember what it was however. did he get thrown out stealing or make an error?

With the winning run on third and one out, Blauser struck out and "The Dandy Little Glove Man" Mickey Morandini was thrown out trying to steal.

augie..augie..AUGIE...AUGIE...AUGIE...AUGIE...

Nice link on Dibble.

• I suspect the Cubs asked Chris Coghlan if he would accept an Optional Assignment to the minors and he refused (Coghlan has one minor league option left), so either you keep LaStella on the 25 and release Coghlan, or option LaStella to AAA for about a month and have both LaStella and Coghlan available in September-October. (As an Article XIX-A player, Coghlan must give his permission before he can be optioned to the minors, while LaStella has not accrued enough MLB Service Time to refuse an optional assignment).

Arizona Phil 10 min 36 sec ago view
  • Given today's lineup -- maybe they just wanted an extra OF to give Dexter a few days off (i.e. day game after a night game).

billybucks 12 min 46 sec ago view
  • Tommy LaStella has three minor leaue options left so it's no big deal to send him to Iowa, but as of right now he projects to be at 2+124 MLB Service Time by the end of the of the 2016 MLB regular season, which will place him "on the bubble" as far as being eligible for salary arbitration as a "Super Two" post-2016.

But if he spends at least twenty days on optional assignment this season (anything less than twenty days and he will accrue a full season of MLB Service Time), he will not have enough MLB Service Time to have a chance to be a "Super Two."

Arizona Phil 24 min 4 sec ago view
  • this will be his 4th time leading off for the cubs this season...WITH A .500 OB%! HAIL MADDON! THE PLAN (c)2016! HE HAS RISEN! #YOLO #SWAG! KONY 2012!

crunch 31 min 40 sec ago view
  • I don't hate Coghlan as a PHer but he's leading off today which is as bad as Austin Jackson doing so last year. He doesn't even have the speed.

johann 1 hour 20 min ago view
  • TLS has options. He will be up again in Sept, and maybe earlier.

Rob Richardson 1 hour 31 min ago view
  • Very odd -- TLS .308/.419 in July (in 26 AB). Strange move for a team struggling to score runs. Hard to imagine Coghlan doing better than that. Maybe they like Coghlan better as a PH?

billybucks 1 hour 41 min ago view
  • Sorry to nitpick -- but the first game wasn't a save.

billybucks 1 hour 56 min ago view
  • Wow La Stella sent to Iowa and Coghlan brought up. I'm not a huge Stella fan but he has been hitting lately and is to me better than Coghlan. Neither are good defensively but I guess Coghlan can play the outfield allowing Bryant to stay at 3rd more where he's better.

johann 1 hour 57 min ago view
  • Not 2nd to last but Cubs are definitely bottom of the pack in the 2nd half in oWAR and wRC+. #1 in dWAR though which is certainly a good sign for the playoffs.

• I was going to say that you wouldn't want Heyward to achieve Soriano's OBP--.317 with the Cubs--but now I see that he's already done that. Pitchers have lost their fear of him.

Oh, well, at least Chapman seems to be as good as advertised.

VirginiaPhil 2 hours 11 min ago view
  • Thanks to E-man and Quiet Man for the link on Chapman in a previous post. It's funny because I never really noticed Chapman's delivery until I saw him doing it in a blue uniform. Two saves in a Cubs uniform already. I hope they don't need him today, despite that smooth delivery.

• Cubs are middle of the pack in average, 5th in OPS, 2nd in walks, 4th in runs scored in MLB. Their runs scored ranks 17th in the MLB in July.

Boston, leading everything, continues to rake in July.

• Lester has given up one run or fewer in 11 starts this year. So I'd answer yes. Three of his last four starts were duds, yes. Not worried about him at all. Arrieta is concerning, to be sure. I look it at as, what he was doing was historic, so the regression was bound to happen. He showed in his start against the Mets that he's still capable, and I'd bet on him regaining his form.

Tito 3 hours 12 min ago view
  • marlins getting a.cashner and c.rea from SD

• This is not an attack...But In what stat are the Cubs second from last in MLB, in hitting? I don't see this.

Dusty Baylor 4 hours 25 min ago view