Today in Cubs History: 12-19

12-19-2003 - Traded Wilton Chavez to the Montreal Expos. Received Jose Macias. 12-19-2000 - Signed Todd Hundley as a free agent. Think this is bad? Tomorrow isn't any better.

Comments

Dodgers on the rampage--they just signed Kenny Lofton.

they gonna sign a 4/5 pitcher and some bullpen help to go with their bats?

Definitely Da Bears!!!

Why is it that the two articles I've seen talking about how much the Cubs want Jones are both from Min? If there's really that much interest, why isn't Chitown reporting it? Otherwise, is it just straight rumor/bs/spin/generating buzz that really isn't there for a guy that used to play there?? (It would help in his negotiations with KC for sure)

12-19-2003 - Traded Wilton Chavez to the Montreal Expos. Received Jose Macias.

12-19-2000 - Signed Todd Hundley as a free agent.

A dark day indeed.

*** Dodgers on the rampage--they just signed Kenny Lofton. ***

When your big-market team finishes fourth in your division, it calls for drastic measures. Oh, wait...

If you want to do Lee, I suggest opening with 3 years and 35 mil with 5 mil up front. I'd go as high as 41 mil with 7 mil up front. (In our case, since it's win now, I'd do 10 mil deferred instead of the signing bonus.) So, he gets his 9.5 in 6; in 7, 8 an 9 he gets 12 then we pay him 3.33 for the next three. Rebuild or reload, I don't freaking care. Lock Lee though the early thirties or look stupid.

Nothing, nothing, nothing, nothing could be worse than Todd Hundley and Jose Macias. We'll see tomorrow.

12/20/02 Cubs sign LHP Shawn Estes to one-year contract.

yuck.

• I don't hate Coghlan as a PHer but he's leading off today which is as bad as Austin Jackson doing so last year. He doesn't even have the speed.

johann 37 min 36 sec ago view
  • TLS has options. He will be up again in Sept, and maybe earlier.

Rob Richardson 48 min 18 sec ago view
  • Very odd -- TLS .308/.419 in July (in 26 AB). Strange move for a team struggling to score runs. Hard to imagine Coghlan doing better than that. Maybe they like Coghlan better as a PH?

billybucks 58 min 43 sec ago view
  • Sorry to nitpick -- but the first game wasn't a save.

billybucks 1 hour 13 min ago view
  • Wow La Stella sent to Iowa and Coghlan brought up. I'm not a huge Stella fan but he has been hitting lately and is to me better than Coghlan. Neither are good defensively but I guess Coghlan can play the outfield allowing Bryant to stay at 3rd more where he's better.

johann 1 hour 14 min ago view
  • Not 2nd to last but Cubs are definitely bottom of the pack in the 2nd half in oWAR and wRC+. #1 in dWAR though which is certainly a good sign for the playoffs.

johann 1 hour 20 min ago view
  • I was going to say that you wouldn't want Heyward to achieve Soriano's OBP--.317 with the Cubs--but now I see that he's already done that. Pitchers have lost their fear of him.

Oh, well, at least Chapman seems to be as good as advertised.

VirginiaPhil 1 hour 28 min ago view
  • Thanks to E-man and Quiet Man for the link on Chapman in a previous post. It's funny because I never really noticed Chapman's delivery until I saw him doing it in a blue uniform. Two saves in a Cubs uniform already. I hope they don't need him today, despite that smooth delivery.

Old and Blue 1 hour 30 min ago view
  • Cubs are middle of the pack in average, 5th in OPS, 2nd in walks, 4th in runs scored in MLB. Their runs scored ranks 17th in the MLB in July.

Boston, leading everything, continues to rake in July.

Old and Blue 1 hour 33 min ago view
  • Lester has given up one run or fewer in 11 starts this year. So I'd answer yes. Three of his last four starts were duds, yes. Not worried about him at all. Arrieta is concerning, to be sure. I look it at as, what he was doing was historic, so the regression was bound to happen. He showed in his start against the Mets that he's still capable, and I'd bet on him regaining his form.

Tito 2 hours 29 min ago view
  • marlins getting a.cashner and c.rea from SD

• This is not an attack...But In what stat are the Cubs second from last in MLB, in hitting? I don't see this.

Dusty Baylor 3 hours 42 min ago view
  • How odd the stats:

Cubs 1st in pitching in MLB

2nd to last in hitting.

In May they were 1st in both.

• trevor clifton (high-A) could be interesting in a couple seasons...could even become a high/middle rotation guy. he's got a lot of pluses in his pitching except control.

eric leal's (high-A) progression through the minors should be worth watching even if only projects to be an mid/end-rotation starter.

we also gotta keep a long-distance eye on guys like jose paulino (ss-A) and preston morrison (A).

• As Johnny Bach used to say when it was time for the MJ Bulls to crank up the defensive pressure: "Release the Dobermans!", and Jordan, Pippen, Rodman and Harper would just suffocate the other team.

I'd love to add Carl Jr. to that group - he's got the stuff.

• Historically, the Moneyball guys have been great at identifying productive hitters. Not so much with pitchers.