Today in Cubs History: 12-19

12-19-2003 - Traded Wilton Chavez to the Montreal Expos. Received Jose Macias. 12-19-2000 - Signed Todd Hundley as a free agent. Think this is bad? Tomorrow isn't any better.

Comments

Dodgers on the rampage--they just signed Kenny Lofton.

they gonna sign a 4/5 pitcher and some bullpen help to go with their bats?

Definitely Da Bears!!!

Why is it that the two articles I've seen talking about how much the Cubs want Jones are both from Min? If there's really that much interest, why isn't Chitown reporting it? Otherwise, is it just straight rumor/bs/spin/generating buzz that really isn't there for a guy that used to play there?? (It would help in his negotiations with KC for sure)

12-19-2003 - Traded Wilton Chavez to the Montreal Expos. Received Jose Macias.

12-19-2000 - Signed Todd Hundley as a free agent.

A dark day indeed.

*** Dodgers on the rampage--they just signed Kenny Lofton. ***

When your big-market team finishes fourth in your division, it calls for drastic measures. Oh, wait...

If you want to do Lee, I suggest opening with 3 years and 35 mil with 5 mil up front. I'd go as high as 41 mil with 7 mil up front. (In our case, since it's win now, I'd do 10 mil deferred instead of the signing bonus.) So, he gets his 9.5 in 6; in 7, 8 an 9 he gets 12 then we pay him 3.33 for the next three. Rebuild or reload, I don't freaking care. Lock Lee though the early thirties or look stupid.

Nothing, nothing, nothing, nothing could be worse than Todd Hundley and Jose Macias. We'll see tomorrow.

12/20/02 Cubs sign LHP Shawn Estes to one-year contract.

yuck.

• Oh my! Cards down 2-1 to Reds in the bottom of the 9th -- get a leadoff triple -- and don't score!

billybucks 32 min 53 sec ago view
  • Gameday has stopped at the top of the 8th inning. Google tells me it ended up 8-4 Pirates but I can't get further detail. Guess I'll have to wait until the Cubs' website updates...

JoePepitone 1 hour 37 min ago view
  • Attaboy!

billybucks 1 hour 52 min ago view
  • Phil, thanks for posting. Where do find the schedule? I have a condo in Surprise, yet I drove to Mesa and Tempe looking for a game today! Thanks!

rvimpeny 1 hour 53 min ago view
  • Dear Baseball Gods--
    My trip to Chicago has nothing whatsoever to do with the Cubs. In actuality, I am a Red Sox fan.
    Sincerely,
    CTSteve

CTSteve 1 hour 54 min ago view
  • Well, if Strop had to give up a run...at least he hit Sean Rodriguez to do it.

• strop...stawwwp.

jaso has a cycle and 5 rbis...pit leads by 4.

• have a nice bowl of pizza soup deep dish pizza...or a leisurely walk around the notorious south-side (bring money)...shopping at one of the walmart supercenters...waiting in line to waste $20 at willis tower...

seriously, though...it's chicago, a lot to do. have a dog for lunch, a great dinner, and catch some local comedy.

• Strange, because he really seemed to have the Pirates number last year.

Bummer for Jake -- I think this is the first time all year his ERA has been over 3.00, and that will be his number for the year.

• Jinx remover -- your trip doesn't have to be for a baseball game -- lots of stuff to do here in town.

• Guess they could always try to White Sox (and Bears...sob) approach: Never Rebuild! Seems to work pretty well for them.

• 3rd time this season he's given up 6+ runs to PIT...only team he's given up 6+ runs to this season.

7 runs is the most he's given up since august 6th in colorado...in 2014.

• Over 100 pitches, only the 5th.

Brick 3 hours 46 sec ago view
  • coghlan out...got his cleats stuck in the wall attempting a play (failed, but looked great doing it). walking off on his own, precautionary/day-to-day looking stuff...hopefully not worse.

also, jake arrieta is literally worse than hitler. 1-5, bottom 5. ...make that 1-6, bottom 5. ...make that 1-7, bottom 5.

• Coghlan crashes into wall and comes up limping, looks like left knee or ankle. Leaves game...

Arrieta inspiring no confidence yet again.

• from a sun-times article that I won't link to so you don't have to bear the ad-loading that will crush your browser

When he left Boston after nine years as general manager, Epstein said he believed in the philosophy espoused by legendary football coach Bill Walsh: essentially that 10 years is a natural shelf life for a high-stress job.