TCR Friday Notes
- I wanted to once again thank everyone who took the time and hit to their bank accounts to donate during our April pledge drive. I have to say, some of you went well beyond the call of duty and while I would happily thank each of the 35 individuals that did contribute, but most of you I only know by your usernames on here and I don't want to give away your super-secret identities. But I will acknowledge the six who contributed $50 or more that helped us to our final tally of...... $912.30. Holy Cow!
UPDATE: Last second donation in, make it 36 total for $942.30.
4 $50 Donations from:
(I don't know the username) Buzz Music Inc.
$51 Donation (someone's a Price is Right Fan)
The Big Giver after the jump...
For his $75 Donation he'll receive a Cubs DVD Legend Set (Drumroll please)...
Sure it was more of a tax for all the headaches Chad's given to us in the past, but we'll take it. We kid...we kid. Thanks a bunch there Chad who also gets some love on the lower left sidebar for his coining of the term "Cubbery".
Tony S. will get a free sponsorship for a year of our Cubs 40-man roster page and I'll figure out something for the four who gave $50 each. I was going to give the the third place finisher a free sponsorship of our Depth Chart page, but you all deserve something. Thanks again to everyone who supported us and reads us!!!!
- The Cubs did make a roster move today, Kevin Hart has been sent down to Iowa, the duct-taped arm of Chad Fox has been called up from his rehab assignment at Double A and Juan Mateo has been outrighted to Hi-A Daytona. The Cubs did not need the 40-man roster spot cleared by Mateo though, he's just gotten in their proverbial doghouse. It does look like he changed his mind about retiring for the moment.
- Encouraging Thought: The Cubs currently lead the NL in runs scored, batting average, on-base percentage, OPS and are second in walks and slugging percentage.
- Sobering Thought: The Cubs are 6-0 versus the Pittsburgh Pirates; .500 (11-11) versus the rest of the NL.
- I've mentioned this guy's site before (Aaron Shinsano). He's a Cubs scout in Korea working under their Pacific Rim main scout and ex-player Steve Wilson. The link takes you to the latest Korean player signed by the Cubs, 18-yr old "phenom" shorstop Lee Hak-ju.
Enjoy the weekend and remember I'll be continuing the NL Central Smackdown through the weekend and early next week. And I think Ruz might make an appearance on the front page next week as well.
I love winning! It's, like, better than losing?
You lollygag the ball around the infield. You lollygag your way down to first. You lollygag in and out of the dugout. You know what that makes you? Larry!
Its too bad Warren didnt get to pitch. He would have saved us.
Whoa -- that Contreras play in the 8th looked too much like a "Schwarber" -- nearly crashed into the wall going full speed, with Heyward doing the same.
New rule: if you are a catcher playing LF, and find yourself sprinting after a fly ball in the gap -- stop, let the CF go after it and get ready to play it off the wall.
Cubs have no spark and no life. Pretty boring to watch these days.
I thought trips to Miami were supposed to be fun. This one sucked.
The bottom half of the bullpen now turns close games into blowout losses. Not good.
Once Fowler went to the DL, the team went into the tank. Wonder if he'll get any love this offseason? Probably not.
6IP, 2ER. The last one scored because of another botched Zobrist DP turn.
And now, a bad throw by KB. Sloppy.
What is it with Hammel always starting well and sucking after a couple months?
Ahhh...sad. Lke a few of you here, I saw him play during the '69-'71 seasons. He was the "hot Zobrist" for the club in August/September of '69 while everyone else was fizzling out...
I predict: "They will play hard and if they give the same effort every day, they'll win a lot of games."
OK, boys -- find a way to win today.
There's some BA is missing too, here's all signing bonus BA doesn't have some:
-6 Hockin $241,000 (slot price), 7 Cruz $75,000 (saved $110,00), 8 Ridlings $120,000 (saved $53,800), 9 Robinson $30,000 (saved $132,300), so far the Cubs have saved an extra $297,100
Zobrist (2B), Hayward (CF), Bryant (3B), Rizzo, Contreras (LF), Montero, Russell, Coghlan (RF), Hammel
Also -- despite losing 6 of their last 10, the Cubs picked up a game on both STL and PIT during that period. Weird, given that they swept PIT and were swept by STL.
Also, I'd like to know if there are numbers to back up my suspicion that there are a lot more fast starts than late June romps. This seems like a time where everybody not named Willson Contreras is looking a little tired and/or banged up a bit.
For once, the Cubs got off to a fast start. Seems like I've been waiting for that for 50 years.Everybody is really gunning for this team, too. It's their playoffs.