TCR Friday Notes
- I wanted to once again thank everyone who took the time and hit to their bank accounts to donate during our April pledge drive. I have to say, some of you went well beyond the call of duty and while I would happily thank each of the 35 individuals that did contribute, but most of you I only know by your usernames on here and I don't want to give away your super-secret identities. But I will acknowledge the six who contributed $50 or more that helped us to our final tally of...... $912.30. Holy Cow!
UPDATE: Last second donation in, make it 36 total for $942.30.
4 $50 Donations from:
(I don't know the username) Buzz Music Inc.
$51 Donation (someone's a Price is Right Fan)
The Big Giver after the jump...
For his $75 Donation he'll receive a Cubs DVD Legend Set (Drumroll please)...
Sure it was more of a tax for all the headaches Chad's given to us in the past, but we'll take it. We kid...we kid. Thanks a bunch there Chad who also gets some love on the lower left sidebar for his coining of the term "Cubbery".
Tony S. will get a free sponsorship for a year of our Cubs 40-man roster page and I'll figure out something for the four who gave $50 each. I was going to give the the third place finisher a free sponsorship of our Depth Chart page, but you all deserve something. Thanks again to everyone who supported us and reads us!!!!
- The Cubs did make a roster move today, Kevin Hart has been sent down to Iowa, the duct-taped arm of Chad Fox has been called up from his rehab assignment at Double A and Juan Mateo has been outrighted to Hi-A Daytona. The Cubs did not need the 40-man roster spot cleared by Mateo though, he's just gotten in their proverbial doghouse. It does look like he changed his mind about retiring for the moment.
- Encouraging Thought: The Cubs currently lead the NL in runs scored, batting average, on-base percentage, OPS and are second in walks and slugging percentage.
- Sobering Thought: The Cubs are 6-0 versus the Pittsburgh Pirates; .500 (11-11) versus the rest of the NL.
- I've mentioned this guy's site before (Aaron Shinsano). He's a Cubs scout in Korea working under their Pacific Rim main scout and ex-player Steve Wilson. The link takes you to the latest Korean player signed by the Cubs, 18-yr old "phenom" shorstop Lee Hak-ju.
Enjoy the weekend and remember I'll be continuing the NL Central Smackdown through the weekend and early next week. And I think Ruz might make an appearance on the front page next week as well.
Was the error scored on Zobrist's third ab ruled correctly? Ron was saying that it was a pretty tough chance for the fielder
Did anybody see that Zobrist strikeout?
That was extremely disappointing.
Strangest win of the year, and one of the sweetest. Twice I thought it was easily in the bag, then after the first 2 hitters in the 9th I thought all was lost. Big game for Grimm, Strop & Rondon. But, man, those Cards can hit for power.
Very satisfying, gut-check win today. The beers on the trip back to Chicago are going to taste fantastic.
It's still very early but this game felt very important to me and probably knocked 2 years off my life. Seemed like every inning was big.
Yes then they moved him two spot then not so much, back batting 7th
This is the exact game that the Cubs would have lost in years past to the Cardinals.
Arrieta starting. Leads of 6-1 and 9-4. You don't expect to have such a sense of relief when they win.
At least the end result was worth the wait.
I guess he's better than what they've had. He started out like the Babe there.
Fair enough, but Castro isn't really very good.
I can just hear Pat Hughes chortling "typical Cubs-Cards game..."
As long as Maddon uses him against RH he is good. Against LH - not so much.
His recent HR's obviously have not been great pitches.
So, let's just say my personal confidence in the guy is not there yet.
not that I'm agreeing with E-Man in anyway here, but Warren's FIP and peripherals are not really good (5.20 FIP/5.19 BB/9/.128 BABIP), although his actual results are a lot better. Well until today...
Trade was also to make room for Zobrist and it'll be a few years before we can really judge it.
Eventually, the Maddon "play everyone everywhere" thing was going to create a problem.