TCR Friday Notes

- I wanted to once again thank everyone who took the time and hit to their bank accounts to donate during our April pledge drive. I have to say, some of you went well beyond the call of duty and while I would happily thank each of the 35 individuals that did contribute, but most of you I only know by your usernames on here and I don't want to give away your super-secret identities. But I will acknowledge the six who contributed $50 or more that helped us to our final tally of...... $912.30. Holy Cow!

UPDATE: Last second donation in, make it 36 total for $942.30.

4 $50 Donations from:

Mr. Whipple

DC Tom

Jumbo

(I don't know the username) Buzz Music Inc.

$51 Donation (someone's a Price is Right Fan)

Tony S.

The Big Giver after the jump...

For his $75 Donation he'll receive a Cubs DVD Legend Set (Drumroll please)...

Chad

Sure it was more of a tax for all the headaches Chad's given to us in the past, but we'll take it. We kid...we kid. Thanks a bunch there Chad who also gets some love on the lower left sidebar for his coining of the term "Cubbery".

Tony S. will get a free sponsorship for a year of our Cubs 40-man roster page and I'll figure out something for the four who gave $50 each. I was going to give the the third place finisher a free sponsorship of our Depth Chart page, but you all deserve something. Thanks again to everyone who supported us and reads us!!!!

- The Cubs did make a roster move today, Kevin Hart has been sent down to Iowa, the duct-taped arm of Chad Fox has been called up from his rehab assignment at Double A and Juan Mateo has been outrighted to Hi-A Daytona. The Cubs did not need the 40-man roster spot cleared by Mateo though, he's just gotten in their proverbial doghouse. It does look like he changed his mind about retiring for the moment.

- Encouraging Thought: The Cubs currently lead the NL in runs scored, batting average, on-base percentage, OPS and are second in walks and slugging percentage.

- Sobering Thought: The Cubs are 6-0 versus the Pittsburgh Pirates; .500 (11-11) versus the rest of the NL.

- I've mentioned this guy's site before (Aaron Shinsano). He's a Cubs scout in Korea working under their Pacific Rim main scout and ex-player Steve Wilson. The link takes you to the latest Korean player signed by the Cubs, 18-yr old "phenom" shorstop Lee Hak-ju.

Enjoy the weekend and remember I'll be continuing the NL Central Smackdown through the weekend and early next week. And I think Ruz might make an appearance on the front page next week as well.

Comments

Guesses for Tony's sponsorship message?

"FIRE HENDRY!!!!!"

different Tony S. than you're thinking of there, carlos.

Gallardo torn his ACL in the collision last night!?

there was no collision. He jumped over RJ and came down really bad on his leg.

did they designate tunbow today also
mlb trade rumors had that

what? and no link to where they got the story?

yes, he was DFA'd.

How has no one else on this board mentioned the Hart-for-Fox move?! I get why they'd send Hart down (don't necessarily agree), but of all people, CHAD FOX is going to be the guy to pitch better than Kevin Hart? I hope someone in that organization knows something I don't about this move...

it was mentioned in the comments of the previous thread before this went up...

fwiw, when Fox has been healty in his career, he's usually pretty darn good, so if we get 2-3 months before his arm explodes again, then I'm all for it.

The bullpen's been mostly ass besides Marmol and Marshall, so any change can't hurt.

Because Juan Mateo was outrighted previously in his career, he has the right to be a free-agent now, or he can defer it until after the season. If he opts to be a free-agent immediately, he forfeits his 2008 "major league" contract and would have to hope to get a similar deal or a better one on the open market. Good luck with that.

So on the advice of his agent, I would expect Mateo to accept the outright assignment to Daytona, where he will be on the same team as his cousin Marcos (acquired from CIN for Buck Coats last September), who was just promoted from Peoria to Daytona after pitching lights-out for the Chiefs.

One Mateo going up, one Mateo coming down. And they get to meet on the sultry sands of Daytona Beach. How romantic!

Submitted by SheffieldCornelia on Fri, 05/02/2008 - 4:21pm.

==========================

SHEFF: I suspect the Cubs had until something like May 1st to add Chad Fox to their 25-man roster or else he had the right to be a FA, which is why they did this. (Same thing happened with Rod Beck in 2003, except the Cubs left Beck at Iowa and then Beck asked for his release and signed with SD and had an outstanding season for the Padres as their closer).

As those of you who read my crap here know, Chad Fox was at Extended Spring Training at Fitch Park last month and he threw the ball very well (no pain, excellent control, low to mid-90's fastball with a plus breaking ball). Now, he might end up getting shelled by MLB hitters, but I would imagine the Cubs want to see what Fox has to offer before casting him aside. If it doesn't work, they release him and bring Hart back, or maybe recall Jose Ascanio from AAA and use him as their 7th inning guy. .

If Fox is 100% or close to 100%, he could be a decent arm out of the pen until something better comes along. He certainly has a lot of MLB experience, that's for sure.

Post deleted.

• bless your heart. *pinches cheeks*

crunch 1 hour 52 sec ago view
  • real shame I missed this week's episode of The Crunch Reporter.

It's highly unusual.

It does matter a little.

It matters much less than you think.

Rob G. 1 hour 3 min ago view
  • four winds field is awesome. it's crazy how minor league parks have "grown up" since the 80s/90s and that park was one of the late-80s models that showed a low-capacity ballpark could look like you're at something other than a highschool baseball game.

• On another topic....I returned to South Bend last night for the 2nd time this season (still haven't tried either the deep-fried mac & cheese sandwich nor "The Porknado", as the drive home is over an hour and that could get ugly), and was pleasantly surprised to find D. Underwood pitching in a rehab start. He looked good -- although, to be fair, these are low-A hitters -- fastball consistently at 94-95 (if the SB scoreboard is to be believed -- several pitches were clocked in the 30s...) and with good location.

• he gains nothing, no advantage, no saving of resources, nothing...there is not a cost/benefit tradeoff...him letting the running game go on around him for others to control isn't gaining him an advantage elsewhere. it's putting him at a disadvantage even if it's not cashed in with a run.

• And out of respect for the rest of TCR, I'm done on this. I'm sure I'm not the only one in the other camp, but time to let it go. (Until the next Lester start. I kid.)

#baseballtalk

Tito 6 hours 33 sec ago view
  • He is putting himself at a disadvanage. But how much of one relative to the rest of his game? He's not Justin Germano -- he's inarguably one of the best SPs in baseball, issue or not. It would be more of thing to discuss ad nauseum if it constantly caused him to give up runs and lose games. But it doesn't.

#baseballtalk

Tito 6 hours 10 min ago view
  • shouting down my points about lester with "well, it didn't hurt" is like saying it doesn't matter if a guy starts out walking 3 guys every inning as long it's followed by a K and a double play.

it's like elevating ERA and wins to a high level while ignoring what it took to get there.

• I'm asking how much it has hurt Lester and the Cubs this year. Do you have that answer?

I legitimately don't recall you answering that quesion, apart from the condescending silliness you just posted. So if you did answer specifically about the impact of Lester's issue, I'd like to re-read it. Thanks.

#baseballtalk

Tito 6 hours 29 min ago view
  • if runner = on base and pitcher = j.lester then lead = large

if lead = large then probability of extra base on following hit > average of mean

okay, enough of that silliness...

...you can read more on the thread i copy/pasted this from the last time you decided you needed to talk to me about me.

• Thank you for your answer.

#baseballtalk

Tito 6 hours 39 min ago view
  • bless your heart.

• I don't recall you answering my question about quantifying how it has hurt Lester and the Cubs this season, apart from one guy scoring on a sac fly. Can you direct me to your answer? Thanks.

#baseballtalk

Tito 6 hours 45 min ago view
  • Lester's personal catcher has an .809 OPS.

#baseballtalk

Tito 6 hours 48 min ago view
  • we already has this asinine discussion. you didn't like the answer. there's already an answer above you can apply about how a guy goes from 1st base to home on a sac fly that included him stealing 3rd while lester watched from the mound. the fact that the cubs bats, 100% independent of that situation, scored some runs invalidates it as an issue to you. i find that stupid. we will not get anywhere with this. you know we will not get anywhere with this...because we already had this asinine discussion.

#circularlogic

• it's not about SB...it never was.

jake arrieta being slow to the plate isn't comparable to jon lester not throwing to any base. how the runners read off arrieta isn't anything similar to what a runner is reading off lester.

maybe arrieta could use a personal catcher solely to control his running game...but i doubt it's that important.