TCR Friday Notes
- I wanted to once again thank everyone who took the time and hit to their bank accounts to donate during our April pledge drive. I have to say, some of you went well beyond the call of duty and while I would happily thank each of the 35 individuals that did contribute, but most of you I only know by your usernames on here and I don't want to give away your super-secret identities. But I will acknowledge the six who contributed $50 or more that helped us to our final tally of...... $912.30. Holy Cow!
UPDATE: Last second donation in, make it 36 total for $942.30.
4 $50 Donations from:
(I don't know the username) Buzz Music Inc.
$51 Donation (someone's a Price is Right Fan)
The Big Giver after the jump...
For his $75 Donation he'll receive a Cubs DVD Legend Set (Drumroll please)...
Sure it was more of a tax for all the headaches Chad's given to us in the past, but we'll take it. We kid...we kid. Thanks a bunch there Chad who also gets some love on the lower left sidebar for his coining of the term "Cubbery".
Tony S. will get a free sponsorship for a year of our Cubs 40-man roster page and I'll figure out something for the four who gave $50 each. I was going to give the the third place finisher a free sponsorship of our Depth Chart page, but you all deserve something. Thanks again to everyone who supported us and reads us!!!!
- The Cubs did make a roster move today, Kevin Hart has been sent down to Iowa, the duct-taped arm of Chad Fox has been called up from his rehab assignment at Double A and Juan Mateo has been outrighted to Hi-A Daytona. The Cubs did not need the 40-man roster spot cleared by Mateo though, he's just gotten in their proverbial doghouse. It does look like he changed his mind about retiring for the moment.
- Encouraging Thought: The Cubs currently lead the NL in runs scored, batting average, on-base percentage, OPS and are second in walks and slugging percentage.
- Sobering Thought: The Cubs are 6-0 versus the Pittsburgh Pirates; .500 (11-11) versus the rest of the NL.
- I've mentioned this guy's site before (Aaron Shinsano). He's a Cubs scout in Korea working under their Pacific Rim main scout and ex-player Steve Wilson. The link takes you to the latest Korean player signed by the Cubs, 18-yr old "phenom" shorstop Lee Hak-ju.
Enjoy the weekend and remember I'll be continuing the NL Central Smackdown through the weekend and early next week. And I think Ruz might make an appearance on the front page next week as well.
Wait...you're flip-flopping again?!
Is this legal? What is the rule here on opining definitively and then changing your mind?
I am not only surprised at your declaration, but Cutler's better 2015 showing. I don't get it - he went through Martz, Turner, Trestman, Kromer, and now Gase...and he is still here! And. he'll be here mext year too.
Happ signs w Jays
Morsi saying Price won't be a Jay
needs more d.beeler and e.jokisch
As an Illinois tax payer I appreciate what they r doing
+ Bankruptcy Court
2 spots left on the 40-man...wonder if they're going to play around in the rule-5 market...
A special after day after Thanksgiving thanks to AZ for his insanely detailed posts on all things roster. I don't know how you keep track of all that stuff - I suspect a chip implant, but whatever it is, it's cool.
...the wrong half.
there's nothing like crapping out of the playoffs with a strong/young cheap team after pinching pennies for years then having theo talk about having to be creative with money to make things work for 2016...but hey, baseball isn't baseball without a farmer's market and beer garden plaza with ice rinks.
they can do both...then again, if you want to look at it from a business point of view, they don't have to do both because the team is expected to be competitive and the merch+tickets+eyes-on-team are going to be at a peak unless they fail badly.
They are trying to bring the facility to the 20th century.
I think they know what they are doing.
With the Cubs adding Pierce Johnson to their roster and not exposing/losing him to the Rule 5 Draft keeps the trade ancestry tree alive that started in 1999 with Tom Gordon and undrafted Adam Morrissey and includes 17 players, the trade tree progressed to involve the Hee Sop Choi for Derrek Lee deal and the famous Aramis Ramirez/Kenny Lofton deal..Pierce Johnson is the compensation pick for Aramis Ramirez in 2012
the Rex brothers?
Yeah, the Rex brothers, Tyrannosaurus and Oedipus