TCR Friday Notes
- I wanted to once again thank everyone who took the time and hit to their bank accounts to donate during our April pledge drive. I have to say, some of you went well beyond the call of duty and while I would happily thank each of the 35 individuals that did contribute, but most of you I only know by your usernames on here and I don't want to give away your super-secret identities. But I will acknowledge the six who contributed $50 or more that helped us to our final tally of...... $912.30. Holy Cow!
UPDATE: Last second donation in, make it 36 total for $942.30.
4 $50 Donations from:
(I don't know the username) Buzz Music Inc.
$51 Donation (someone's a Price is Right Fan)
The Big Giver after the jump...
For his $75 Donation he'll receive a Cubs DVD Legend Set (Drumroll please)...
Sure it was more of a tax for all the headaches Chad's given to us in the past, but we'll take it. We kid...we kid. Thanks a bunch there Chad who also gets some love on the lower left sidebar for his coining of the term "Cubbery".
Tony S. will get a free sponsorship for a year of our Cubs 40-man roster page and I'll figure out something for the four who gave $50 each. I was going to give the the third place finisher a free sponsorship of our Depth Chart page, but you all deserve something. Thanks again to everyone who supported us and reads us!!!!
- The Cubs did make a roster move today, Kevin Hart has been sent down to Iowa, the duct-taped arm of Chad Fox has been called up from his rehab assignment at Double A and Juan Mateo has been outrighted to Hi-A Daytona. The Cubs did not need the 40-man roster spot cleared by Mateo though, he's just gotten in their proverbial doghouse. It does look like he changed his mind about retiring for the moment.
- Encouraging Thought: The Cubs currently lead the NL in runs scored, batting average, on-base percentage, OPS and are second in walks and slugging percentage.
- Sobering Thought: The Cubs are 6-0 versus the Pittsburgh Pirates; .500 (11-11) versus the rest of the NL.
- I've mentioned this guy's site before (Aaron Shinsano). He's a Cubs scout in Korea working under their Pacific Rim main scout and ex-player Steve Wilson. The link takes you to the latest Korean player signed by the Cubs, 18-yr old "phenom" shorstop Lee Hak-ju.
Enjoy the weekend and remember I'll be continuing the NL Central Smackdown through the weekend and early next week. And I think Ruz might make an appearance on the front page next week as well.
In case you didn't see it -- it was the Little League play where the guy on first gets caught in a rundown on purpose and the guy on third tries to score. It worked.
Gotta love the Pirates pitcher intentionally hitting Zobrist, then allowing Zobrist to score on a 2-out wild pitch.
Also, glad to see Zobrist coming around with RISP after my remarks last week. Heh!
ESPN reporting heyward day-to-day with an injured wrist
ESPN game tonight, btw.
Cardinal way #48
"negligent transmission of STDs"
Heyward getting the night off.
Grand Slammin' Sczcur in RF - La Stella batting 2nd
Twitterverse reporting that Heyward is dealing with a sore right wrist
Cardinal way #47
See ya on parrot chat
Intrasquad game this morning on Field #5 at Riverview Baseball Complex:
4.1 IP, 7 H, 3 R (3 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HR, 2 WP, 1 GIDP, 5/4 GO/AO, 75 pitches (50 strikes)
Next stop is likely either South Bend or Myrtle Beach (TBD)
Your thought: don't pitch Rondon at all, since a save can't happen in extra innings at home.
Maddon's thought: might as well pitch him now, because there's no later.
This article from spring training said he was trying to pull the ball a lot more:
Oh, thanks. I guess I should actually look at the schedule. Yay, 3-game road trip!
Good call, indeed. This ought to be a good series.
Sorry to nit-pick -- but the games against the Nats this week are at home.
Can't remember a worse weather-start to a season. Yuck.