No, the Gagne is Not Always Greener

Something to distract from tonight's unpleasantness in Cincinnati:

The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reports that Doug Melvin has no plans to unseat Eric Gagne as Brewers closer. A quick comparison:

G IP
H
K
BB
ERA S
BS
Kerry Wood 14 15 10 13 3 4.80 4 3
Eric Gagne 16 14.2 15 17 10 6.14 9 5

Gagne also has a WHIP of 1.7 and opponents are hitting .382 against him. Wood's numbers are 0.87, .189.

And the Brewers don't have Carlos Marmol as a Plan B.

Comments

This might be ignorant of me, but I really don't see Gange turning things around much this year, either. Sure his numbers will settle down a little, but this isn't Mariano Rivera having a trademark bad April, this Eric Gange who looks out of shape and not sharp at all.

Gagne = Glendon Rush with goggles

Not to mention the $10MM paycheck.

Speaking of closers, did anyone ever figure out why LaTroy Hawkins sucked? His stuff was always good and his slider had good bite. It was puzzling.

David Weathers can go in and easily get guys out with mediocre 82 MPH sinkers, but LaTroy Hawkins gets lit up on sharp 84 MPH sliders. Location & walks were always a problem, but still...

Maybe LaTroy lost confidence in the slider -- my memory is that he threw mostly 92-94 mph fastballs without great movement or location. Hitters sat on the fastball and eventally hammered it.

This is all well and good, except we haven't had many leads to save lately, losing 8 of the last 11.

Come back when there is more sample size with our guys, then we can have something to really compare.

David Weathers: "...David Weathers can go in and easily get guys out..."

Uh, not really. 4.32 ERA 2+ WHIP

Don't think this is "easily out" stuff for a short guy.

Not well liked in Cinci. Sucked here for the most part, too.

Weathers had 45 saves over '06-'07, with a 3.50-ish ERA. That's probably what was being referenced.

Why don't you include Gagne's '05/06 stats?

Because I was talking about Weathers. The comment was he easily gets guys out, and you disagreed. Not only was my response not about Gagne, neither was your original comment. So why would I reference Gagne?

If you are referencing "old stats" (which was not made clear in the comment that Weathers "easily gets guys out..."), and the original post is comparing Wood to Gagne, why not compare Gagne's old stats? David Weathers was not a topic of the lead submission by Cubnut, either. What's the difference?

"Whatever."

I was making a guess as to what the Weathers comment was about. It still has nothing to do with Gagne. Sorry you can't see that.

Sorry you can't see my point either. You commented on Weathers (where the poster did not say "when"; I brought up old stats of Gagne.

Like I said: "Whatever."

Anyway, perhaps we could discuss something more meaningful, like what day Mark De Rosa breaks out of his slump?

No, I see your point. But it's not relevant. (Someone help me out here!??!) I was only commenting on your comment about Weathers. It just so happens that the comment was in a blog post about Gagne. Ryno brought up Weathers; you disagreed with his comment; I used old stats to suggest that maybe that's what he was talking about. End 'o subject.

DeRo will come out of it soon.

"DeRo will come out of it soon."

I hope so. OF all our "utility starters". He is my favorite, and generally pretty solid.

• been like that everytime I've been there too including Jack Murphy/Qualcomm Stadium. Cubs travel well. It was pretty loud for Angels/Cubs this year and decent for Dodgers/Cubs but Dodger fans definitely turn out better than the Padre fans.

• When I went in the 2007-2008 range, it was at least 75% Cubs fans.

blockhead25 2 hours 55 min ago view
  • Jeff Sullivan on Kris Bryant's lack of clutch hitting in 2016. Very good stuff, unsatisfying conclusion (it's probably random).

John Beasley 2 hours 56 min ago view
  • I was at Tuesday's game in San Diego. It looked like half of Chicago was at Petco. We were much louder than Padres fans.

BobbyD 2 hours 57 min ago view
  • We may have a chance to catch one in October. Although hell, I couldn't deal with my co-workers if we lose to them.

blockhead25 3 hours 16 min ago view
  • think I have to miss this series too (also was at the Arrieta game last year). But in my case, just had a busy weekend with work and kids have a bunch of activities and we made it to Opening Day in Anaheim and a couple of games in Wrigley this year which we normally don't get too...so not feeling like I'm missing out this year.

• they're awful

• I hope the Cubs play three good teams.

Jackstraw 3 hours 34 min ago view
  • First year I'm not going to a Cubs/Dodgers game in a long time. 4 month old baby kinda changes plans around. But the no-hitter I was at last year can last in the memory banks for awhile.

I think Dodger Dogs are awful. I love hot dogs, but those are crap.

blockhead25 4 hours 9 min ago view
  • ayyyy...get a doyer dog, then.

• I'm going to be at this one! Am told a Dodger Dog is just a long hot dog. Disappointing.

• If my math is correct, if the Cubs play .500 baseball for the rest of the season, they will finish with 99 wins. I only just confirmed through Baseball Reference that 97 wins last year (and 2008) were the most Cubs wins in my lifetime. I think that last year while Arrieta was pitching better than Cy F. Young I didn't really get or appreciate what he was doing. I'm trying to try to grasp in the moment just how fucking remarkable this season is.

Jackstraw 5 hours 23 min ago view
  • This is awesome.

(CSN Chicago will air Vin Scully's call of the Sunday Cubs vs. Dodgers game...well for an inning at least)

• I figured this was going to be the most meaningless regular season in Cubs history...and it is pretty much on point, although I certainly didn't think we'd have close to a 14 game lead.

But, one bad hop in game 1 in October could change absolutely everything we will remember about this year.

blockhead25 6 hours 59 min ago view
  • oh he's great, there's like 10 great pitchers in the NL right now that can flat out dominate though. Picking #2 (behind Kershaw) doesn't matter much to me right now. Much like whom the Cubs will play in the playoffs won't matter much, they're gonna be good teams.

• The Cubs great pitching has a lot more to do with their great defense this year and plenty of good luck  (#1 in ERA, #4 in FIP behind Nats, Mets and Dodgers with a rather ridiculous .258 BABIP against Cubs' pitchers).

Cubs pitchers do strike out more hitters than Giants pitchers and do walk more hitters than Giants pitchers so that's a few more balls in play. Cubs' pitchers actually have a higher groundball rate though. Crawford is just really good and baseball happens.