No, the Gagne is Not Always Greener

Something to distract from tonight's unpleasantness in Cincinnati:

The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reports that Doug Melvin has no plans to unseat Eric Gagne as Brewers closer. A quick comparison:

G IP
H
K
BB
ERA S
BS
Kerry Wood 14 15 10 13 3 4.80 4 3
Eric Gagne 16 14.2 15 17 10 6.14 9 5

Gagne also has a WHIP of 1.7 and opponents are hitting .382 against him. Wood's numbers are 0.87, .189.

And the Brewers don't have Carlos Marmol as a Plan B.

Comments

This might be ignorant of me, but I really don't see Gange turning things around much this year, either. Sure his numbers will settle down a little, but this isn't Mariano Rivera having a trademark bad April, this Eric Gange who looks out of shape and not sharp at all.

Gagne = Glendon Rush with goggles

Not to mention the $10MM paycheck.

Speaking of closers, did anyone ever figure out why LaTroy Hawkins sucked? His stuff was always good and his slider had good bite. It was puzzling.

David Weathers can go in and easily get guys out with mediocre 82 MPH sinkers, but LaTroy Hawkins gets lit up on sharp 84 MPH sliders. Location & walks were always a problem, but still...

Maybe LaTroy lost confidence in the slider -- my memory is that he threw mostly 92-94 mph fastballs without great movement or location. Hitters sat on the fastball and eventally hammered it.

This is all well and good, except we haven't had many leads to save lately, losing 8 of the last 11.

Come back when there is more sample size with our guys, then we can have something to really compare.

David Weathers: "...David Weathers can go in and easily get guys out..."

Uh, not really. 4.32 ERA 2+ WHIP

Don't think this is "easily out" stuff for a short guy.

Not well liked in Cinci. Sucked here for the most part, too.

Weathers had 45 saves over '06-'07, with a 3.50-ish ERA. That's probably what was being referenced.

Why don't you include Gagne's '05/06 stats?

Because I was talking about Weathers. The comment was he easily gets guys out, and you disagreed. Not only was my response not about Gagne, neither was your original comment. So why would I reference Gagne?

If you are referencing "old stats" (which was not made clear in the comment that Weathers "easily gets guys out..."), and the original post is comparing Wood to Gagne, why not compare Gagne's old stats? David Weathers was not a topic of the lead submission by Cubnut, either. What's the difference?

"Whatever."

I was making a guess as to what the Weathers comment was about. It still has nothing to do with Gagne. Sorry you can't see that.

Sorry you can't see my point either. You commented on Weathers (where the poster did not say "when"; I brought up old stats of Gagne.

Like I said: "Whatever."

Anyway, perhaps we could discuss something more meaningful, like what day Mark De Rosa breaks out of his slump?

No, I see your point. But it's not relevant. (Someone help me out here!??!) I was only commenting on your comment about Weathers. It just so happens that the comment was in a blog post about Gagne. Ryno brought up Weathers; you disagreed with his comment; I used old stats to suggest that maybe that's what he was talking about. End 'o subject.

DeRo will come out of it soon.

"DeRo will come out of it soon."

I hope so. OF all our "utility starters". He is my favorite, and generally pretty solid.

• RIP Arnie. We could use a lot more like you -- a man who succeeded and failed on his own terms, a true original, and, finally, a remarkable example of graciousness towards others.

billybucks 49 min 45 sec ago view
  • Cubs finish 33 over at home. I was, personally, one game over at 3-2, which was one of my better years in a while.

I do hope that's the last time we see the Cardinals this year. A lot of power, which is dangerous, particularly in a short series, and they have really shut down KB all year.

Oh, and Jon Lester? Damn!

billybucks 1 hour 1 min ago view
  • Yes. Boating accident at 3AM. Very sad, but stupid. Young men do stupid things.

billybucks 1 hour 57 min ago view
  • lester puts 2 on and is taken out at 96 pitches. oh well.

edwards in.

• 2 out in the 7th, lester at 84 pitches, ross taken out for the standing O.

it's possible contreras will catch lester for another inning+.

• What a weird day.  Jose Fernandez and Arnold Palmer, but then Scully and, on a much more modest level, Ross....

Transmission 3 hours 21 min ago view
  • d.ross gets his 2nd standing O on the night (last home game of the season)...hits HR #10...curtain call. baseball.

• as a fan, he only "owes" us the game on the field and not getting in the way of others on his team being ready to play (imo).

it's exponentially worse to his family and friends, but this dude most likely had 15+ years of play left and even though he just turned 24 a couple months ago he had already established himself as a top guy in the game.

• Carrie Muskat [email protected]

Updated #Cubs probs vs Pirates: Mon, Hendricks vs Kuhl; Tue, Lackey vs Vogelsong; Wed, Arrieta vs Taillon; Thu, Zastryzny vs Nova

• I know what you're trying to say, Charlie, that none of us feels what his loved ones must be feeling.

On the other hand, what makes a death like this tragic is precisely the loss, based on Fernandez's youth and brilliance, to the baseball world.

So, for example, we can say that Princess Diana's death meant more, in aggregate, to millions of admirers who didn't know her personally than to her loved ones.

VirginiaPhil 7 hours 9 min ago view
  • boston pitching snags a couple of mlb team records...

"Over nine innings of play, Boston's staff struck out 11 straight Tampa Bay Rays hitters Sunday, breaking the major-league record for most consecutive strikeouts in a game.

The previous record was held by former New York Mets right-hander Tom Seaver, who struck out 10 straight hitters in 1970.

Not only that, but with a strikeout to end the ninth, sending the game into extras, Boston's staff also struck out an MLB-record 21 batters over nine innings."

• What a loss to baseball, which I'm sure pales in comparison to the personal loss to his loved ones.

• Somehow I am sensing alcohol was involved. The highest number of boating accidents by a wide margin...

• crunch 11 hours 43 min ago view
  • Reports this morning that Marlins' pitching ace Jose Fernandez died in a boating accident - just horrible news.

Eric S 15 hours 36 min ago view
  • Check out John Arguello at Cubs Den for great analysis & photos from Cubs AZ Instructs

link