20 Hottest Last Ten

When judging the performance of a prospect or minor league position player at the plate, player development people usually look most-closely at what the player has done over his last ten games rather than over the entire season, since the whole point of playing in the minor leagues is for a player to improve as the season progresses. (For starting pitchers, it's the last three starts, and for relievers, it's the last six outings).

Here are the 20 hottest Cubs minor league position players at the plate over their last ten games (BA/OBP/SLG):

* bats left
# bats both

AT PEORIA:
Jovan Rosa, 1B - 412/474/705 (was moved to 1B to get max PT, but is really a 3B)
Marquez Smith, 3B - 282/359/590
Josh Donaldson, C - 270/342/513 (also 46% CS)

AT DAYTONA:
Darwin Barney, SS - 351/378/368
* James Adduci, RF - 349/364/388
* Mark Reed, C - 346/467/462 (also 56% CS)
* Blake Lalli, 1B - 350/366/375 (also catches occasionally)
Ty Wright, LF - 325/357/425
* Jonathan Wyatt, CF - 289/400/395

AT TENNESSEE:
* Steve Clevenger, C - 345/441/621 (also plays 1B)
* Doug Deeds, 1B - 355/428/484 (also plays LF-RF)
Jake Fox, LF - 333/348/575 (just got demoted to AA due to numbers crunch at AAA)
* Nate Spears, 2B - 333/389/424
Ryan Harvey, RF - 286/333/500

AT IOWA:
# Andres Torres, CF - 366/447/561 (also 24 games hit streak)
Tony Richie, C - 314/352/543
# Andres Blanco, SS - 364/400/394
* Josh Kroeger, RF - 293/358/439
Casey McGehee, 3B - 302/302/535 (also catches occasionally)
Matt Murton, LF - 476/593/476 over last six games since being demoted to AAA from Cubs (also has ZERO XBH in 75 PA at AAA in 2008 over two separate stints).

Comments

Matt Murton, LF - 667/708/351

How can SLG be less than BA? Seems that if all hits are singles, hits should equal total bases, and TB/AB should equal hits/AB.

CRAIG: Thanks for catching that. The numbers were from something completely different. They have been corrected.

Speaking of prospects...

Smardjza (sp) got absolutely hammered tonight, and Colvin went 0-4 with 3 K's and is hitting .223.

Yuck.

• Very bizarre game -- as you say, both Cubs pitchers were dominant until the one fatal pitch. It was like watching the Bears defense shut down a team, and then lose on 2 punt returns. Some better hitting with RISP would be a good idea, too.

billybucks 37 min 46 sec ago view
  • Trouble Boys, the Replacements bio, is a great option. I'm sure Chad loved it.

Tito 1 hour 53 min ago view
  • Amen Brick. What's the point of following early-season games if you can't over-react to them? What, we should be reading books now?

billybucks 1 hour 59 min ago view
  • "Weren't the National considered a near lock last year?"

No, I think you're thinking of Radiohead, The 1975, or Bowie's last album.

Although The National's Greatful Dead tribute is pretty cool.

• I don't think they're any kind of lock, though I do expect they'll make the playoffs.

It's not like I'm glad they've gone 4-8. I just don't think it's time to be all that worried -- just like I didn't think they were going to keep playing .730 ball.

Tito 2 hours 23 min ago view
  • vegas isn't a fan of the game because of how erratic and unpredictable it is.

SF has recently won 3 world series many thought they weren't supposed to win...BOS won a world series recently that they weren't even supposed to be in the playoffs for...favored teams with huge wins have seen 1st round exists...fun times.

• I think they'll be ok too. But having watched this team since the mid-60s, I never think it's time to conclude, well, thank god the drought is over. I've seen/heard way too many people who follow the Cubs say glad we're finally going to win the Series this year. Please. Weren't the National considered a near lock last year?

BobbyD 2 hours 43 min ago view
  • Best record in baseball and largest division lead.

I'm jumping right now!

Tito 2 hours 59 min ago view
  • Can we please stop pointing out how ridiculous it is to panic and start panicking in earnest?

Brick 4 hours 23 min ago view
  • ,571 winning percentage in May.

I think they're gonna be OK.

Tito 5 hours 45 min ago view
  • RAISIN: All I know is that Oscar de la Cruz is still shut down, and I don't know what his prognosis is, or what the plan is going forward.

Arizona Phil 8 hours 5 min ago view
  • Remember just two weeks ago, when "all" they had to do was play .500 ball the rest of the season and coast into the playoffs?

BobbyD 8 hours 7 min ago view
  • Well I guess if pitchers can keep working the edges of the plate to perfection it will be a long season. But that doesn't seem likely. Rizzo finally, fully, snapping out of it would help.

• If I didn't believe in coincidences (or science), I would apologize to Gordon Downie--one of my favorites. Sad news about a great talent.

CTSteve 10 hours 20 min ago view
  • Hi Arizona Phil,

Has there been any news on Oscar de la Cruz' health?

Raisin101 16 hours 51 min ago view