Don't Quit Your Day Job, Carlos

From a link on the new blog by Paul DePodesta (really), here's Carlos Zambrano helping out "career minor leaguer Ron Stilanovich" and his Hardball video series.

Lesson #19: Taking One For the Team

Comments

I thought this was brilliant. There's a whole series up on YouTube featuring various big leaguers. Carlos's may be the best.

Yeah, someone posted this link on here a few weeks ago. I thought all of them were hilarious. Especially "hobo ambush"!

Wow. That's amazing.

At first, I thought it was for real. Then I'm like, why's he coming out of a port-a-john?

Love the Z. Good stuff.

Wait, that's not real?

Fantastico!

I saw this a few months ago. I can't remember where I saw the link, but after I watched it, I added it to my favorites list as fast as I could. Hilarious stuff.

Hilarious! Love the ending where he hopes the check clears. Now if we could only get someone in the Cubs front office to start a blog just like Paul...

Or better yet, get Paul in the Cubs front office.

completely, 3/44

Thanks Rip Van Winkle!

But - its still REALLY funny.

Then I guess Theriot got to the majors by watching this video countless times...

Heh. Nice vid.

I just showed this to a co-worker. He read the thread and his first question was, "What's 3/44?"

Maybe it's time for us to provide a glossary for newbies. We have a rich lexicon, including gems like "Cubbery", "...in my pants" and "Johann's Mom". :-)

ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!

This is part community and part fraternity. So, when you are a newbie, you hang around and learn by osmosis. it's part of the rite of passage.

Don't listen to Chad, I'll eventually add some of our memes to the FAQ page, just been a little slow on updating that.

that's crap. you were not in a fraternity.

I definitely was not in a fraternity...and we shall leave it at that.

sorority?

*golf clap*

well-played

This is where Real Neal would chime in about Rob having a monthly visitor.

wasn't the third guy up, the little righty...Reed Johnson?

New from Gordo this morning....

The Cubs appear poised to sign veteran center fielder Jim Edmonds soon after he clears waivers Wednesday.

...multiple Cubs sources said the team plans to pursue Edmonds, and one said Edmonds has told his agent to talk to no one before talking to the Cubs.

I don't have a problem taking a risk on a cheap lefty bat that may turn out to be dependable, but does it have to be Jim freaking Edmonds? I hate him so much. I really dislike him. It's going to be really, really hard for me to get behind this one, Jimbo.

In a word: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Resist the urge to make a worthless change. I would sooner take Lofton over this guy. I'll take Pie's fielding and impatient bat over a possible clubhouse cancer and finished ballplayer. That reeks of a Dusty/current Reds mindset. Nooooooooo. You got me?

This one's the best of that series:

Thanks crunch!!

It's mesmerizing

jacos 1 hour 29 min ago view
  • 5 HR in his last 5 games (3, 1 run...1, 2 run)

sure, 3 HR were in colorado, but 2 were in night games in SD. that evens out somehow.

• Good work!

John Beasley 3 hours 51 min ago view
  • crunch 10 hours 28 min ago view
  • My guy Addy

jacos 10 hours 29 min ago view
  • oh, another a.russell HR...whatever.

• Dylan Cease throwing gas tonight for the Emeralds. In first three innings, has hit 100 mph six times, averaging 98 mph

Eric S 11 hours 2 min ago view
  • Can I get a gif of Joe West's jowls waving as he chews gum?

/Asking for a friend

jacos 11 hours 25 min ago view
  • my gawd...that castillo-to-bryant pickoff was a thing of beauty. the knock on him in the minors being slow out of the crouch is looking less like a thing.

• bless your heart. *pinches cheeks*

• real shame I missed this week's episode of The Crunch Reporter.

It's highly unusual.

It does matter a little.

It matters much less than you think.

• four winds field is awesome. it's crazy how minor league parks have "grown up" since the 80s/90s and that park was one of the late-80s models that showed a low-capacity ballpark could look like you're at something other than a highschool baseball game.

• On another topic....I returned to South Bend last night for the 2nd time this season (still haven't tried either the deep-fried mac & cheese sandwich nor "The Porknado", as the drive home is over an hour and that could get ugly), and was pleasantly surprised to find D. Underwood pitching in a rehab start. He looked good -- although, to be fair, these are low-A hitters -- fastball consistently at 94-95 (if the SB scoreboard is to be believed -- several pitches were clocked in the 30s...) and with good location.

• he gains nothing, no advantage, no saving of resources, nothing...there is not a cost/benefit tradeoff...him letting the running game go on around him for others to control isn't gaining him an advantage elsewhere. it's putting him at a disadvantage even if it's not cashed in with a run.

• And out of respect for the rest of TCR, I'm done on this. I'm sure I'm not the only one in the other camp, but time to let it go. (Until the next Lester start. I kid.)

#baseballtalk

Tito 21 hours 34 min ago view
  • He is putting himself at a disadvanage. But how much of one relative to the rest of his game? He's not Justin Germano -- he's inarguably one of the best SPs in baseball, issue or not. It would be more of thing to discuss ad nauseum if it constantly caused him to give up runs and lose games. But it doesn't.

#baseballtalk