Don't Quit Your Day Job, Carlos

From a link on the new blog by Paul DePodesta (really), here's Carlos Zambrano helping out "career minor leaguer Ron Stilanovich" and his Hardball video series.

Lesson #19: Taking One For the Team

Comments

I thought this was brilliant. There's a whole series up on YouTube featuring various big leaguers. Carlos's may be the best.

Yeah, someone posted this link on here a few weeks ago. I thought all of them were hilarious. Especially "hobo ambush"!

Wow. That's amazing.

At first, I thought it was for real. Then I'm like, why's he coming out of a port-a-john?

Love the Z. Good stuff.

Wait, that's not real?

Fantastico!

I saw this a few months ago. I can't remember where I saw the link, but after I watched it, I added it to my favorites list as fast as I could. Hilarious stuff.

Hilarious! Love the ending where he hopes the check clears. Now if we could only get someone in the Cubs front office to start a blog just like Paul...

Or better yet, get Paul in the Cubs front office.

completely, 3/44

Thanks Rip Van Winkle!

But - its still REALLY funny.

Then I guess Theriot got to the majors by watching this video countless times...

Heh. Nice vid.

I just showed this to a co-worker. He read the thread and his first question was, "What's 3/44?"

Maybe it's time for us to provide a glossary for newbies. We have a rich lexicon, including gems like "Cubbery", "...in my pants" and "Johann's Mom". :-)

ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!

This is part community and part fraternity. So, when you are a newbie, you hang around and learn by osmosis. it's part of the rite of passage.

Don't listen to Chad, I'll eventually add some of our memes to the FAQ page, just been a little slow on updating that.

that's crap. you were not in a fraternity.

I definitely was not in a fraternity...and we shall leave it at that.

sorority?

*golf clap*

well-played

This is where Real Neal would chime in about Rob having a monthly visitor.

wasn't the third guy up, the little righty...Reed Johnson?

New from Gordo this morning....

The Cubs appear poised to sign veteran center fielder Jim Edmonds soon after he clears waivers Wednesday.

...multiple Cubs sources said the team plans to pursue Edmonds, and one said Edmonds has told his agent to talk to no one before talking to the Cubs.

I don't have a problem taking a risk on a cheap lefty bat that may turn out to be dependable, but does it have to be Jim freaking Edmonds? I hate him so much. I really dislike him. It's going to be really, really hard for me to get behind this one, Jimbo.

In a word: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Resist the urge to make a worthless change. I would sooner take Lofton over this guy. I'll take Pie's fielding and impatient bat over a possible clubhouse cancer and finished ballplayer. That reeks of a Dusty/current Reds mindset. Nooooooooo. You got me?

This one's the best of that series:

• dodgers calling up julio urias for tommorow's game. neat.

fernando-mania might have a new heir...dude is 19 (turns 20 in august) and he's got a legit argument for being MLB-ready.

crunch 17 min 14 sec ago view
  • jacos 1 hour 37 min ago view
  • Happ was the #9 pick last year, and he moved from OF to 2B in the same offseason that Castro was traded.

Gleyber also in the picture at second.

VirginiaPhil 5 hours 5 min ago view
  • jacos 5 hours 25 min ago view
  • Co-sign

Ryno 5 hours 25 min ago view
  • Transmission 5 hours 35 min ago view
  • O&B: I think D. J. Wilson is a legit MLB prospect.

He is a hyperactive dynamo on the field, a protypical lead-off hitter who is looking to get on base any way he can, a triple machine (if there is such a thing) when he does make solid contact, a daring baserunner who goes berserk once he is on base, and a CF who plays a "no fear" crash & burn style of defense.

Guys like that sometimes get injured more-often than the average player, but if he can stay healthy and continue to progress, I believe he will be an MLB CF, or at worst a 4th OF.

Arizona Phil 5 hours 46 min ago view
  • The hot start was nice, but it won't always come easy. It's nice to see them have to work for it every once in a while.

Ryno 7 hours 53 min ago view
  • Hey, AZ, are you as high on DJ Wilson as your pal John Arguello is?

• Phil, I just wanted to say thank you for diligently tracking the Cubs prospects in extended spring training and sharing your knowledge with us. It's remarkable how you're able to keep box scores for multiple games at once. I, and I'm sure others here, appreciate the data and insight you provide for us.

K Dub 11 hours 4 min ago view
  • Thanks PHIL.

Boy, that is a nifty K:BB ratio Hudson has going at almost 4:1!

I hope he continues improving.

• And of course the Bucs won again playing AZ (not PHIL). They dont seem to have a problem yet with the bottom feeders.

They picked up 3 games this last week.

I'm looking forward to them coming to the Chi.

• Don't mess with the SI jinx. Since the Javy/Cubs cover came out, he is 2-for-20 with no walks.

• BRADSBEARD: If all three are assigned to Eugene, the Cubs can play Galindo, Paredes, and Paniagua at the same time by moving Paredes between SS-3B-DH, Galindo between 3B-1B-DH, and Paniagua between 1B-LF-DH.

The Cubs like to have their players (including their minor leaguers) learn to play more than one position even if they eventually are projected to settle at one spot, and I suspect that will be reflected at Eugene, with just about everybody who will be assigned there able to play at least two positions.

Arizona Phil 18 hours 1 min ago view
  • Thanks - at least the scorer was consistent

Eric S 18 hours 15 min ago view
  • I don't think the error call was completely out of the blue but the ball took a very bad hop and would have taken a very good play to get it. Same with one of the Stella throws where I think it could have easily been ruled a hit. Neither were cut and dry calls though imo.