Don't Quit Your Day Job, Carlos

From a link on the new blog by Paul DePodesta (really), here's Carlos Zambrano helping out "career minor leaguer Ron Stilanovich" and his Hardball video series.

Lesson #19: Taking One For the Team

Comments

I thought this was brilliant. There's a whole series up on YouTube featuring various big leaguers. Carlos's may be the best.

Yeah, someone posted this link on here a few weeks ago. I thought all of them were hilarious. Especially "hobo ambush"!

Wow. That's amazing.

At first, I thought it was for real. Then I'm like, why's he coming out of a port-a-john?

Love the Z. Good stuff.

Wait, that's not real?

Fantastico!

I saw this a few months ago. I can't remember where I saw the link, but after I watched it, I added it to my favorites list as fast as I could. Hilarious stuff.

Hilarious! Love the ending where he hopes the check clears. Now if we could only get someone in the Cubs front office to start a blog just like Paul...

Or better yet, get Paul in the Cubs front office.

completely, 3/44

Thanks Rip Van Winkle!

But - its still REALLY funny.

Then I guess Theriot got to the majors by watching this video countless times...

Heh. Nice vid.

I just showed this to a co-worker. He read the thread and his first question was, "What's 3/44?"

Maybe it's time for us to provide a glossary for newbies. We have a rich lexicon, including gems like "Cubbery", "...in my pants" and "Johann's Mom". :-)

ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!

This is part community and part fraternity. So, when you are a newbie, you hang around and learn by osmosis. it's part of the rite of passage.

Don't listen to Chad, I'll eventually add some of our memes to the FAQ page, just been a little slow on updating that.

that's crap. you were not in a fraternity.

I definitely was not in a fraternity...and we shall leave it at that.

sorority?

*golf clap*

well-played

This is where Real Neal would chime in about Rob having a monthly visitor.

wasn't the third guy up, the little righty...Reed Johnson?

New from Gordo this morning....

The Cubs appear poised to sign veteran center fielder Jim Edmonds soon after he clears waivers Wednesday.

...multiple Cubs sources said the team plans to pursue Edmonds, and one said Edmonds has told his agent to talk to no one before talking to the Cubs.

I don't have a problem taking a risk on a cheap lefty bat that may turn out to be dependable, but does it have to be Jim freaking Edmonds? I hate him so much. I really dislike him. It's going to be really, really hard for me to get behind this one, Jimbo.

In a word: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Resist the urge to make a worthless change. I would sooner take Lofton over this guy. I'll take Pie's fielding and impatient bat over a possible clubhouse cancer and finished ballplayer. That reeks of a Dusty/current Reds mindset. Nooooooooo. You got me?

This one's the best of that series:

• 2nd in defensive WAR, NL.

6th in NL in RBI

Go complain about something else, like, "they never play good against the good teams", or some other shit.

• Addy really has trouble breaking through .250 BA -- after his hot streak got him to .251, he has gone 1-for-17.

billybucks 7 hours 49 sec ago view
  • Thank goodness for Jansen's 2 WP on Friday -- otherwise this would have been a sweep.

• There seems to be a direct correlation with overconfidence in the Cubs offense against mediocre/young pitchers and really poor offense against mediocre/young pitchers. So, let's fear the Pirate pitchers!

• Rizzo due for a power surge -- one HR in August so far. He truly does hit them in bunches.

• Sometimes I'm not as supportive of Cahill as maybe I should be. There, I said it.

Jackstraw 7 hours 49 min ago view
  • Rough 8th inning all around -- HBP, Cahill error, Javy's poor decision.

Oh well - given that the Cubs didn't look like they were going to score, it's better to lose in 9 innings, save the bullpen and get changed for the PJ trip home.

• Baez still learning

jacos 8 hours 18 min ago view
  • heyward with his 3rd multi-hit game since the all-star break (all in august)...2nd in the past 3 games during his 7 game hitting streak.

he's gone from flirting with a sub-.300 ob% to nearing .310 ob% in 3 games (1 game was just a 1 for 1 pinch hit appearance). all 5 hits in the past 3 games have come in a row...neat.

• stewart with 7Ks through 3ip...of course.

that 10-13 mph difference in his fastball/change is working today...and they're swinging at his crappy slider.

• brock stewart...steven brault...fun times for the cubs hitters vs allegedly competitive teams...maybe.

• Maddon would have started three lefties against the Dodgers, Montgomery, Zastryzny and Lester, except that he doesn't have the juice to do that. No manager does. Maddon has a boss, Epstein (and probably Hoyer, too), who gave him a starting rotation of five guys including Hammel. Maddon was asked yesterday about the starting group for next year and basically said, Not my call, that's why I drive away in my RV in the summer and occasionally check in, etc.

VirginiaPhil 15 hours 47 min ago view
  • video of Maddon.

always nice that he actually tries to honestly answer questions. Does mention that he wanted to give Zastr? a chance in a meaningful spot rather than a mop-up role.

Rob G. 1 day 6 hours ago view
  • from Muskat:

#Cubs Maddon: "I'm not going to make up an excuse for why I did what I did. It has nothing to do with lack of confidence" ... "It was the right thing to do today based on what I saw, what their lineup looked like and Rob Z.'s availability." #Cubs

Rob G. 1 day 7 hours ago view

Hammel not particularly understanding of getting pulled out...as he should. Be curious what Maddon had to say. All I can think of is is keeping arms fresh and maybe wanting to see if Zastr? is worth considering for the playoffs and how he'd do against the Dodgers.

Rob G. 1 day 7 hours ago view
  • great defense

Heyward, Russell, Baez, Bryant, Ross in particular...although Bryant's a bit hard to judge with all the positions.

Fowler and Rizzo in the top half of the NL for their positions as well (per fangraphs)...Zobrist right at the halfway cutoff for 2b in the NL.

I'm sure some luck is involved too, but the Cubs and Maddon knew what they were doing.

Rob G. 1 day 7 hours ago view