Non-Sale-of-Cubs Stories Rapidly Gaining on Non-Acquisition-of-Brian-Roberts Stories

With all of the excitement—and by excitment, I mean disgust—over the likely Cubs signing of Jim Edmonds, there wasn't an opening here yesterday to note the snag in efforts to peddle Wrigley Field to the Illinois Sports Facilities Authority.

The Sun-Times reported Tuesday morning that the state agency and Tribune Company owner Sam Zell had failed to reach an agreement because the state's offer relied...

...on a novel and untested financing plan: the sale of
individual seats at Wrigley as if they were condominiums. The idea is
called equity seat rights and has been advanced by Chicago area
business executive Lou Weisbach, who has applied for patent rights on
it.

Zell, Cubs Chairman Crane Kenney and their advisers have concluded
that the equity plan and its tax ramifications would violate both the
Internal Revenue Service code and the rules of Major League Baseball...sources said.

Very late Tuesday night, however, the Tribune reported that the ISFA and Zell will continue their negotiations and that "sources said...the media conglomerate is privately
indicating it might hold off selling the ballclub if the inevitable
need for costly repairs at the antiquated ballpark significantly
discounts the bids it fields for the team."

Tribune Company is due to begin paying down its debt with the banks on December 4th, when a $650 million payment will be required. At one point, it was thought this might ensure the sale of Wrigley Field and the Cubs before the end of 2008. But Zell's recent agreement to sell Newsday, a deal that will net Tribune Company about $630 million in cash, gives the foul-mouthed billionaire the latitude to take his time negotiating the sale of the ballpark and the team.

Tags:

Comments

I watched a very over-the-hill Edmonds struggle in San Diego. If the Cubs scouted him, they should have seen it, too.

The SunTimes' GREG COUCH just officially consigned FELIX PIE to the Cubs' pile of flopped top prospects.

that's kinda like bill o'reilly calling something liberal.

when's couch not tearing something down or declaring things finalized?

decent article, but littered with his usual extreme writing and some "what-if's" that are declared stone cold realities.

seems he writes a "oops, i screwed up when i said earlier..." article for every handful of rants he goes off on.

This centerfield thing is getting ridiculous. Thirty five years since we had Monday out there and we still haven't found a good one. One year of Dernier being decent, one year of Walton being decent and that's it.

I think in 85 or 86 we had Dave Lopes in center for awhile, when he was 72. One year even Leon Durham got a few chances there. I think that was 82 or 83. I guess Lofton was good for half a season. Other than that, nothing.

Maybe we can bring back Mitch Webster.

Patterson was good for half a season (before his injury).

.298 / .329 / .511

What, you didn't get enough stability from Jerry Morales and Jerry Martin?

Sosa was acquired with the intent to start him in CF and he gave us a full season at CF I believe. And then pushed to a corner OF slot by Tuffy Rhodes.

Didn't Morales play more leftfield than center? I was thinking he was around at the same time as Monday, at least the first time he was here.

Patterson was good for half a year and Lofton for the other half. One good year in center between the two of them anyway.

We had the same problem finding someone for 3B since Santo and we finally got ARam. I'm confident we'll work out CF before long.

For the love of Harry Caray, somebody please change that "Featured Post" picture... I wanna head butt my monitor every time I see it.

EDIT: Looks like it changed write after I wrote this. I AM A GOD!

What an improvement! She's got a much better center field.

I am enjoying her right and left myself

Perhaps the pic should be moved to the TCR Approved Section of the website.

so you can buy those on Amazon?

Great typo from BleacherReport.com:

"Edmonds will likely clean waivers Wednesday after being released by the San Diego Padres recently."

From MLB to cleaning waivers -- you'd think Edmonds would have saved some of his salary over the years.

Here's the link: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/22967-MLB-Rumor...

• j.buchanan with a nice start...5ip 2h 1bb 3k, 0r/er

zobrist with 2HR and a double through 8

heyward 0-4 :(

• Mark Gonzales @MDGonzales

Soler likely to return Sunday, Maddon says

• Right now, I'd like to see the Mets first, Giants 2nd.

I believe that since most of the team from last years' NLCS is on the squad this year, they will really amp their game up even more to kick their ass in payback for 2015.

The Giants just do not have the depth in years past, and I think all things equal - and at Wrigley - they could handle them.

I do not want to see the Cards, period. Or their fans, media, or Joe Buck.

• I don't want to play Braves in the first round. Any friggin team in the league can win 3 of 5..I hate the first round. Furthermore, I wanted to play the Marlins in 2003 and the Mets over Dodgers last year.

With that said in reverse order:
    3. Cardinals: It will be devastating to lose in the first round, but even worse to their main rival. It is increased incentive for the Cardinals, especially after last year. Cards would have nothing to lose, Cubs have everything to lose.

2. Giants: Rotation in the playoffs scare me a bit, but what a lousy team.

blockhead25 5 hours 51 min ago view
  • 1. Mets--because of the losses in the rotation
    2. Giants--because they're not the team they were BUT they maybe have bullshit even-year magic?
    3. Cardinals--because rivalry and not making the playoffs hurts them more than losing in the NLDS plus getting eliminated by them in the playoffs would make for horrible sports commentary next throughout next season.

• Who's asking?

jacos 7 hours 36 min ago view
  • #TeamEntropy

CLE/DET rained out last night already, possible rain-outs in New York (vs. Baltimore), Boston(vs. Toronto) and Philly(vs. Mets) this weekend too.

Not only games involving playoff spots that would need to be played, but any that involve home field advantage.

• I got the first one! Second one I'm not even sure what even/odd betting is.

• any opponent preference for NLDS?

Mets are down to 1 great pitcher instead of 4. Syndegaard may pitch Sunday which means if Mets win the WC game, he'd be set up for Game 1. There's a chance they clinch a spot by Sunday so he'd pitch the WC and then we'd probably get Colon for Game 1. They've certainly had the hottest bats over the last week and month out of the WC options.

• Rob Richardson 13 hours 57 min ago view
  • Can't teach height and thinness

jacos 15 hours 52 min ago view
  • Hopefully Pirates don't call up A. Lincoln.

jacos 1 day 1 hour ago view
  • j.buchanan going friday...should be...baseball...or something like it.

crunch 1 day 1 hour ago view
  • Wow. I didn't know they could do that.

Nice for Willson, not so much for Addy.

billybucks 1 day 1 hour ago view
  • Game is officially called...also officially a tie.

Stats count, no make-up date of course.

Rob G. 1 day 1 hour ago view
  • Yeah -- seeing the weather -- I hope KB and Rizz are inside, wrapped in blankets and drinking hot chocolate.

billybucks 1 day 2 hours ago view