Non-Sale-of-Cubs Stories Rapidly Gaining on Non-Acquisition-of-Brian-Roberts Stories

With all of the excitement—and by excitment, I mean disgust—over the likely Cubs signing of Jim Edmonds, there wasn't an opening here yesterday to note the snag in efforts to peddle Wrigley Field to the Illinois Sports Facilities Authority.

The Sun-Times reported Tuesday morning that the state agency and Tribune Company owner Sam Zell had failed to reach an agreement because the state's offer relied...

...on a novel and untested financing plan: the sale of
individual seats at Wrigley as if they were condominiums. The idea is
called equity seat rights and has been advanced by Chicago area
business executive Lou Weisbach, who has applied for patent rights on
it.

Zell, Cubs Chairman Crane Kenney and their advisers have concluded
that the equity plan and its tax ramifications would violate both the
Internal Revenue Service code and the rules of Major League Baseball...sources said.

Very late Tuesday night, however, the Tribune reported that the ISFA and Zell will continue their negotiations and that "sources said...the media conglomerate is privately
indicating it might hold off selling the ballclub if the inevitable
need for costly repairs at the antiquated ballpark significantly
discounts the bids it fields for the team."

Tribune Company is due to begin paying down its debt with the banks on December 4th, when a $650 million payment will be required. At one point, it was thought this might ensure the sale of Wrigley Field and the Cubs before the end of 2008. But Zell's recent agreement to sell Newsday, a deal that will net Tribune Company about $630 million in cash, gives the foul-mouthed billionaire the latitude to take his time negotiating the sale of the ballpark and the team.

Tags:

Comments

I watched a very over-the-hill Edmonds struggle in San Diego. If the Cubs scouted him, they should have seen it, too.

The SunTimes' GREG COUCH just officially consigned FELIX PIE to the Cubs' pile of flopped top prospects.

that's kinda like bill o'reilly calling something liberal.

when's couch not tearing something down or declaring things finalized?

decent article, but littered with his usual extreme writing and some "what-if's" that are declared stone cold realities.

seems he writes a "oops, i screwed up when i said earlier..." article for every handful of rants he goes off on.

This centerfield thing is getting ridiculous. Thirty five years since we had Monday out there and we still haven't found a good one. One year of Dernier being decent, one year of Walton being decent and that's it.

I think in 85 or 86 we had Dave Lopes in center for awhile, when he was 72. One year even Leon Durham got a few chances there. I think that was 82 or 83. I guess Lofton was good for half a season. Other than that, nothing.

Maybe we can bring back Mitch Webster.

Patterson was good for half a season (before his injury).

.298 / .329 / .511

What, you didn't get enough stability from Jerry Morales and Jerry Martin?

Sosa was acquired with the intent to start him in CF and he gave us a full season at CF I believe. And then pushed to a corner OF slot by Tuffy Rhodes.

Didn't Morales play more leftfield than center? I was thinking he was around at the same time as Monday, at least the first time he was here.

Patterson was good for half a year and Lofton for the other half. One good year in center between the two of them anyway.

We had the same problem finding someone for 3B since Santo and we finally got ARam. I'm confident we'll work out CF before long.

For the love of Harry Caray, somebody please change that "Featured Post" picture... I wanna head butt my monitor every time I see it.

EDIT: Looks like it changed write after I wrote this. I AM A GOD!

What an improvement! She's got a much better center field.

I am enjoying her right and left myself

Perhaps the pic should be moved to the TCR Approved Section of the website.

so you can buy those on Amazon?

Great typo from BleacherReport.com:

"Edmonds will likely clean waivers Wednesday after being released by the San Diego Padres recently."

From MLB to cleaning waivers -- you'd think Edmonds would have saved some of his salary over the years.

Here's the link: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/22967-MLB-Rumor...

• I'm sorry - I was probably not looking at the correct line, or spot, or...who knows!

I could blame it on the weed, but I stopped smoking many years ago.

Fortunately, I can rely on the rest of you sober and astute folks to bring the correct info forth.

The E-Man 8 min 15 sec ago view
  • Oh yeah! It just felt like one for some reason.

Old and Blue 1 hour 14 min ago view
  • Agreed. I was not including Fowler or Heyward.

I'm just not a fan of 2016 Coghlan.....

Dusty Baylor 1 hour 20 min ago view
  • @Dusty Contreras if it's a Lester or Arrieta start. TLS is good PH too. You also forgot about Heyward, assume Fowler is CF.

chitownmvp01 1 hour 22 min ago view
  • I expect Soler to get optioned as well when activated and Cahill to replace Grimm. It wouldn't surprise me if Coghlan and/or Soler is included in a trade.

Maybe Coghlan is up to see if he can get on track before someone acquires him.

This move could also be to assure that we have as much OF depth as possible to maximize Joe's ability to rest players in September once we've clinched.

chitownmvp01 1 hour 24 min ago view
  • Maddon basically said as much...Fowler still kind of sore, they're being proactive, etc.

Tito 1 hour 26 min ago view
  • La Stella at 2B...Baez at 3B, or vice versa. Zobrist in RF, Bryant in LF No one gets bumped.

Dusty Baylor 1 hour 34 min ago view
  • If Coghlan is leading off, I assume Fowler is getting the day off. Who is supposed to lead off, then? Someone has to get on base for Bryant and Rizzo. Coghlan's OBP is .346 with the Cubs. Jackson's was .304. LaStella can lead off, but then he has to play second or third, and bump Zobrist or Baez.

Unless he gets hot, Coghlan will likely change places with Soler soon.

VirginiaPhil 1 hour 36 min ago view
  • I suspect the Cubs asked Chris Coghlan if he would accept an Optional Assignment to the minors and he refused (Coghlan has one minor league option left), so either you keep LaStella on the 25 and release Coghlan, or option LaStella to AAA for about a month and have both LaStella and Coghlan available in September-October. (As an Article XIX-A player, Coghlan must give his permission before he can be optioned to the minors, while LaStella has not accrued enough MLB Service Time to refuse an optional assignment).

Arizona Phil 1 hour 57 min ago view
  • Given today's lineup -- maybe they just wanted an extra OF to give Dexter a few days off (i.e. day game after a night game).

billybucks 1 hour 59 min ago view
  • Tommy LaStella has three minor leaue options left so it's no big deal to send him to Iowa, but as of right now he projects to be at 2+124 MLB Service Time by the end of the of the 2016 MLB regular season, which will place him "on the bubble" as far as being eligible for salary arbitration as a "Super Two" post-2016.

But if he spends at least twenty days on optional assignment this season (anything less than twenty days and he will accrue a full season of MLB Service Time), he will not have enough MLB Service Time to have a chance to be a "Super Two."

Arizona Phil 2 hours 10 min ago view
  • this will be his 4th time leading off for the cubs this season...WITH A .500 OB%! HAIL MADDON! THE PLAN (c)2016! HE HAS RISEN! #YOLO #SWAG! KONY 2012!

• I don't hate Coghlan as a PHer but he's leading off today which is as bad as Austin Jackson doing so last year. He doesn't even have the speed.

• TLS has options. He will be up again in Sept, and maybe earlier.

Rob Richardson 3 hours 17 min ago view
  • Very odd -- TLS .308/.419 in July (in 26 AB). Strange move for a team struggling to score runs. Hard to imagine Coghlan doing better than that. Maybe they like Coghlan better as a PH?

• Sorry to nitpick -- but the first game wasn't a save.