Batting Stances

Apologies if this is 3/44 -- Cubs batting stances, past and present:

This guy has a whole series of batting stance videos up. A nice diversion on a day off.

Comments

I found this gem this morning...

Form about 1984 it looks like, former Padre pitcher Mark Grant doing impressions of 1980's umpires, including a few of my favorites such as the late, great Eric Gregg, Dutch Renner, and John McSherry. Good for a laugh, if nothing else.

not bad...if he peed on his hands before the Alou one, I would have nominated him for the TCR Hall of Fame.

I noticed one for Microsoft Live Search on the right sidebar...it's pretty sweat actually, I used it yesterday.

Found it through Consumerist.com, similar to Google Product Search except they actually give you a percentage back on the purchase (pretty decent percentage) PLUS calculate shipping costs on the prices. Bought a Memory Stick for the wife's cellphone and got 4% back.

Only negative is that it's not nearly as a deep a pool of merchants as Google.

I saw this a couple weeks ago on another site.

He's pretty good - but I am told (as is alluded to) he does dozens of all kinds of players. He's a fan of an East Coast team (Red Sox? I can't remember), so its impressive that he knows the old school Cubs.

Moises Alou watched this video of the guy doing his batting stance impression and was laughing so vigorously he pulled a calf muscle and is going on the DL again.

I thought it would suck, pretty good actually. I wanted to see Jerome Walton, THAT was a crazy stance.

The mime-like quality of his performance added a nice touch.

• so far ryan williams (AAA) is the only system prospect on the "could be ready soon" horizon doing well...that said, he's not very exciting and he's assumed to be an end-rotation talent at best.

paul blackburn is getting great early returns in AA, but he's getting surprisingly low K numbers doing it. he throws lot of low/sinking stuff with good control...also assumed to be an end-rotation guy, but he's got room to be better, especially given his control as base to build on.

• Speaking of pitching -- another ugly outing for Underwood at AA. Through 6 starts: 5.19 ERA, WHIP 1.69. Yikes!

Man, do we need starting pitching depth. Our best hopes are still hanging with AZ Phil in Arizona. Very scary.

• jeebus... that's terrible.

Ryno 6 hours 28 min ago view
  • *clap* *clap* *clap*

Brick 8 hours 29 min ago view
  • Thanks AZ. If you like him, I like him.

• Awesome report, and good to see Beeler on his way back.

I'm also very happy to hear about the bi-level bump for Daniel Lewis. In the Name of Theo, he was the Last of the Full-Season Cuts, and There Will Be Blood for those who unnecessarily slow his development. Sure, he might end up in independent ball pitching for Lincoln. But if everything breaks right, he may even have a shot at joining up with the Gangs of Chicago. I wouldn't bet My Left Foot on it, though.

John Beasley 9 hours 50 min ago view
  • CHARLIE: The Cubs did the same thing with LHSP Eric Jokisch last month, and it has nothing to do with needing the player's 40-man roster slot.

The hope is that another MLB club will claim the player, so that you aren't on the hook for any termination pay (which you would be if you release him) AND you pick up $20,000 from the claiming team, all for a guy you don't want going forward anyway.

Arizona Phil 9 hours 52 min ago view
  • Moosetacos, I like it. All I can think of is a bearded lumberjack dude operating a Mexican style taco truck with a Canadian accent.

Sonicwind75 10 hours 28 min ago view
  • How strange is this for May? Is it insignificant, or does it suggest some sort of trade might be in the works?

• The Cubs have sent LHRP C. J. Riefenhauser outright to Iowa.

Cubs MLB 40-man roster now stands at 37 (three slots open).

Arizona Phil 11 hours 17 min ago view
  • yow...the a.gordon/m.moustakas collision now makes the schwarb collision look minor in scope.

gordon broke his wrist, expected to miss 4+ weeks...and today moosetacos has been diagnosed with a torn ACL. fun times in KC.

• dodgers calling up julio urias for tommorow's game. neat.

fernando-mania might have a new heir...dude is 19 (turns 20 in august) and he's got a legit argument for being MLB-ready.

• jacos 15 hours 1 min ago view
  • Happ was the #9 pick last year, and he moved from OF to 2B in the same offseason that Castro was traded.

Gleyber also in the picture at second.

VirginiaPhil 18 hours 30 min ago view