Game 50 Thread / Cubs @ Pirates (3 of 3)
|SP||*Ted Lilly||SP||*Paul Maholm|
|5-4, 5.14, 56 K, 19 BB, 56 IP||2-5, 5.03, 38 K, 20 BB, 53.2 IP|
|LF||Alfonso Soriano||2B||Freddy Sanchez|
|SS||Ryan Theriot||SS||Luis Rivas|
|1B||Derrek Lee||CF||*Nate McLouth|
|3B||Aramis Ramirez||LF||Jason Bay|
|CF||Reed Johnson||RF||Xavier Nady|
|RF||*Kosuke Fukudome||1B||*Adam LaRoche|
|2B||Mark DeRosa||3B||Jose Bautista|
|C||Henry Blanco||C||Ronny Paulino|
|P||*Ted Lilly||P||*Paul Maholm|
The residue from last night's 14-inning loss:
- The Cubs need to win today to take the series and finish with a .500 road trip
- After pitching 8 innings last night, the bullpen is all beat to hell, with a Memorial Day home game on tap tomorrow
- The Wood-to-setup-man and Marmol-to-closer discussion can begin anew
- Alfonso Soriano got to play a 4-hour and 21-minute game on that calf muscle which isn't "injured" but sure looks like it when Soriano runs
- Any Cub fan who stayed up until the bitter end will be haunted the sight of Henry Blanco playing first base
Regarding today's lineup, Soto, who caught all 14 innings Saturday night, gets the day off, with Johnson moving all the way up to fifth in the order and Henry Blanco filling the 8th spot.
Rich Hill appeared on WSCR Radio Sunday morning after throwing a simulated game in Iowa. He attributed his recent back troubles to "an overdeveloped muscle," the result of years and years of pitching, and he said the back pain which caused him to leave his last start for the I-Cubs had been troubling him, to a lesser degree, going back to Spring Training.
draft signings are trickling in...rounds 6-9 are signed + a random slew of others.
filter by team.
Former Major League All-Star Jim Hickman dies at 79
Yep...sort of. Matheny says Rosenthal will no longer pitch the 9th, and they will mix/match Oh, Siegrist and Broxton.
Duane Underwood now 0-5 with a 5.44 ERA for Tenn. Urp. Warren not sharp at Iowa tonight. When will Cease and Hudson be ready?
On a positive note, Jiminez with his 10th HR tonight. He has a .924 OPS -- the only player in the league with an OPS over .900. Leads the lead in 2B, SLG and OPS, tied for the league lead in HR and 3rd in Avg. Nice!
- The pressure of going for the regular-season wins record is now gone.
- Joe will come up with more wacky dress-up ideas for the team to wear after they lose their next get-away game.
- There is more clarity on Spencer Patton.
- We play the Reds next. They aren't very good.
- We'll have at least a 9 game lead after today.
EDIT: - Contreras looks like the real deal.
Other than that, not much -- nasty stretch. Two ugly losses in the last 4 games.
Ugh -- give Lackey a 4-1 lead, you hope for better.
Joe: "We lost. They beat us. Now where's my '09 Guigal Bordeaux glass...?
I forgot how rail thin skinny Carl Edwards Jr. Is - he threw some nasty stuff - hope that continues
HAHAHA! I love it here! Brilliant...
"The pressure of going for the regular-season wins record is now gone."
Brilliant. Maddon is a genius!
"Drink copiously but responsibly."
Done and done. Thanks for that.
Oil Can Boyd now pitching for the Cubs
It's a long season. There will be stretches like this. It's Saturday night. Drink copiously but responsibly.
That valuable RBIGIDP.
Someone talk me down here.
I remember AZ PHIL talking about Bour's power during the Hendry era.
Time to scrap the scouting report on Justin Bour and get a new one. Sheesh.