Game 54 Thread / Rockies @ Cubs (1 of 4)

Game Chat | Press Pass | BR Preview

SP *Jeff Francis SP Jason Marquis
  1-5, 6.18, 46 K, 24 BB, 59.2 IP
2-3, 4.97, 29 K, 20 BB, 50.2 IP

CF *Scott Podsednik LF Alfonso Soriano
RF *Seth Smith SS Ryan Theriot
1B *Todd Helton 1B Derrek Lee
3B Garrett Atkins 3B Aramis Ramirez
LF Ryan Spilborghs C Geovany Soto
2B *Ian Stewart RF *Kosuke Fukudome
C Yorvit Torrealba 2B Mark DeRosa
SS Omar Quintanilla CF Reed Johnson
P *Jeff Francis P *Jason Marquis

The darlings of the National League in 2007 make their annual visit to Wrigley Field, bypassing the normal chartered bus in favor of an escorted ambulance. The Rockies find 1/3 of their starting lineup on the disabled list (Troy Tulowitzki, Matt Holliday and Brad Hawpe), along with five pitchers and Tulowitzki's replacement, Clint "Deer Meat" Barmes. It appears the devil is cashing in on the deal they made last August.

For the Cubs, it'll be a great opportunity to add to their outstanding home record. The Rockies are the proud owners of the worst record in the National League, courtesy of a struggling offense (4th worst in the NL) and struggling staff (2nd worst in the NL).

Some game notes fun...

• Cubs are 95-67 over their last 162 games, second best record to the Yankees over that period of time
  • Cubs are 15-11 in May, guaranteeing another winning month
  • Cubs are the only major league team this year not to lose three straight
  • Cubs have had the lead in every game since May 9th

Comments

Yahoo note said that he's a good bet to start Saturday instead of Jorge De La Rosa.

True or false:

Jim Hendry can find a way to bring Matt Holiday to the North Side.

false...

not left-handed and doesn't play center (or right).

I don't see them moving Soriano.

Brad Hawpe on the other hand would be interesting.

That all being said, I don't think the Rockies are going to be having a fire sale. They'll deal some dead weight, but I don't expect them to get rid of much.

Wasn't Barnes good until the Bambi Incident?

Barmes had a nice half season before the Bambi incident. His minor league numbers (if I recall) suggest a lot of that was some Coors field fun.

Heh... Barmes career splits:

Home: .290/.332/.458 OPS: .791
Away: .236/.274/.350 OPS: .624

Wow. Though, of course, that would just mean that Hendry will sign him in a year or two, and never learn from Neifi's PEB's (performance enhancing ballpark).

Can't we just DFA Marquis, put Lieber in the rotation, and keep both Cotts and Ascanio up here? Marquis is a bigger waste of a roster space than Edmonds

And who would start instead of Marquis?

The injured Marshall? The injured and ineffective Hill? The ineffective Lieber?

I love how people want 4 home-run in one inning Jon Lieber to start, but complain that Marquis is a waste of a roster spot.

I will say this over and over again. Marquis is a very serviceable 5th starter.

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect this starting rotation:
Z
Peavy
Webb
Santana
Halladay

Come on Hendry! Get off your fat donut-eating ass and do something to improve the team!

Reliable left-handed reliever = required deadline-deal.

Seems to me that Wuertz, Marmol, and Ascanio should all be able to handle lefties in addition to righties. Wuertz's slider sinks more than sweeps, Marmol's two-seamer is devastating to lefties, and Ascanio's changeup is a great pitch to throw against lefties. Slap Hart and his cutter in there and you are in business. The loogy is great to have, a waste to trade for.

Sorry Charlie, but if we are in a playoff race and relying on guys like Hart and Ascanio late in games to get out tough lefties, I'll be pissed.

I'm not talking about giving up the farm for a loogy.... but there has to be a few serviceable options that will be available on the cheap due to expiring contracts.

If we can get an effective Loogy and dump Marquis in the process, I'm for it. But I'd rather not part with Cedeno or Murt for a loogy. I just don't think they are that valuable. Eyre sure seems like a loogy to me.

Well got the game where we want it...the lead in the 8th and Marmol and Wood available and ready to go.

i wouldn't mind some insurance though and a NON-save situation.

You got your wish 10man :) looks like Woody may get to rest.

no dice.

Best record in the majors, Baby! And not in a tie with Tampa Bay, so it really counts.

• j.buchanan with a nice start...5ip 2h 1bb 3k, 0r/er

zobrist with 2HR and a double through 8

heyward 0-4 :(

• Mark Gonzales @MDGonzales

Soler likely to return Sunday, Maddon says

• Right now, I'd like to see the Mets first, Giants 2nd.

I believe that since most of the team from last years' NLCS is on the squad this year, they will really amp their game up even more to kick their ass in payback for 2015.

The Giants just do not have the depth in years past, and I think all things equal - and at Wrigley - they could handle them.

I do not want to see the Cards, period. Or their fans, media, or Joe Buck.

• I don't want to play Braves in the first round. Any friggin team in the league can win 3 of 5..I hate the first round. Furthermore, I wanted to play the Marlins in 2003 and the Mets over Dodgers last year.

With that said in reverse order:
    3. Cardinals: It will be devastating to lose in the first round, but even worse to their main rival. It is increased incentive for the Cardinals, especially after last year. Cards would have nothing to lose, Cubs have everything to lose.

2. Giants: Rotation in the playoffs scare me a bit, but what a lousy team.

blockhead25 8 hours 29 min ago view
  • 1. Mets--because of the losses in the rotation
    2. Giants--because they're not the team they were BUT they maybe have bullshit even-year magic?
    3. Cardinals--because rivalry and not making the playoffs hurts them more than losing in the NLDS plus getting eliminated by them in the playoffs would make for horrible sports commentary next throughout next season.

• Who's asking?

jacos 10 hours 14 min ago view
  • #TeamEntropy

CLE/DET rained out last night already, possible rain-outs in New York (vs. Baltimore), Boston(vs. Toronto) and Philly(vs. Mets) this weekend too.

Not only games involving playoff spots that would need to be played, but any that involve home field advantage.

• I got the first one! Second one I'm not even sure what even/odd betting is.

• any opponent preference for NLDS?

Mets are down to 1 great pitcher instead of 4. Syndegaard may pitch Sunday which means if Mets win the WC game, he'd be set up for Game 1. There's a chance they clinch a spot by Sunday so he'd pitch the WC and then we'd probably get Colon for Game 1. They've certainly had the hottest bats over the last week and month out of the WC options.

• Rob Richardson 16 hours 35 min ago view
  • Can't teach height and thinness

jacos 18 hours 31 min ago view
  • Hopefully Pirates don't call up A. Lincoln.

jacos 1 day 4 hours ago view
  • j.buchanan going friday...should be...baseball...or something like it.

crunch 1 day 4 hours ago view
  • Wow. I didn't know they could do that.

Nice for Willson, not so much for Addy.

billybucks 1 day 4 hours ago view
  • Game is officially called...also officially a tie.

Stats count, no make-up date of course.

Rob G. 1 day 4 hours ago view
  • Yeah -- seeing the weather -- I hope KB and Rizz are inside, wrapped in blankets and drinking hot chocolate.

billybucks 1 day 5 hours ago view