Game 54 Thread / Rockies @ Cubs (1 of 4)
|SP||*Jeff Francis||SP||Jason Marquis|
|1-5, 6.18, 46 K, 24 BB, 59.2 IP||2-3, 4.97, 29 K, 20 BB, 50.2 IP|
|CF||*Scott Podsednik||LF||Alfonso Soriano|
|RF||*Seth Smith||SS||Ryan Theriot|
|1B||*Todd Helton||1B||Derrek Lee|
|3B||Garrett Atkins||3B||Aramis Ramirez|
|LF||Ryan Spilborghs||C||Geovany Soto|
|2B||*Ian Stewart||RF||*Kosuke Fukudome|
|C||Yorvit Torrealba||2B||Mark DeRosa|
|SS||Omar Quintanilla||CF||Reed Johnson|
|P||*Jeff Francis||P||*Jason Marquis|
The darlings of the National League in 2007 make their annual visit to Wrigley Field, bypassing the normal chartered bus in favor of an escorted ambulance. The Rockies find 1/3 of their starting lineup on the disabled list (Troy Tulowitzki, Matt Holliday and Brad Hawpe), along with five pitchers and Tulowitzki's replacement, Clint "Deer Meat" Barmes. It appears the devil is cashing in on the deal they made last August.
For the Cubs, it'll be a great opportunity to add to their outstanding home record. The Rockies are the proud owners of the worst record in the National League, courtesy of a struggling offense (4th worst in the NL) and struggling staff (2nd worst in the NL).
Some game notes fun...
- Cubs are 95-67 over their last 162 games, second best record to the Yankees over that period of time
- Cubs are 15-11 in May, guaranteeing another winning month
- Cubs are the only major league team this year not to lose three straight
- Cubs have had the lead in every game since May 9th
j.buchanan with a nice start...5ip 2h 1bb 3k, 0r/er
zobrist with 2HR and a double through 8
heyward 0-4 :(
Mark Gonzales @MDGonzales
Soler likely to return Sunday, Maddon says
Right now, I'd like to see the Mets first, Giants 2nd.
I believe that since most of the team from last years' NLCS is on the squad this year, they will really amp their game up even more to kick their ass in payback for 2015.
The Giants just do not have the depth in years past, and I think all things equal - and at Wrigley - they could handle them.
I do not want to see the Cards, period. Or their fans, media, or Joe Buck.
I don't want to play Braves in the first round. Any friggin team in the league can win 3 of 5..I hate the first round. Furthermore, I wanted to play the Marlins in 2003 and the Mets over Dodgers last year.
With that said in reverse order:
3. Cardinals: It will be devastating to lose in the first round, but even worse to their main rival. It is increased incentive for the Cardinals, especially after last year. Cards would have nothing to lose, Cubs have everything to lose.
2. Giants: Rotation in the playoffs scare me a bit, but what a lousy team.
1. Mets--because of the losses in the rotation
2. Giants--because they're not the team they were BUT they maybe have bullshit even-year magic?
3. Cardinals--because rivalry and not making the playoffs hurts them more than losing in the NLDS plus getting eliminated by them in the playoffs would make for horrible sports commentary next throughout next season.
CLE/DET rained out last night already, possible rain-outs in New York (vs. Baltimore), Boston(vs. Toronto) and Philly(vs. Mets) this weekend too.
Not only games involving playoff spots that would need to be played, but any that involve home field advantage.
I got the first one! Second one I'm not even sure what even/odd betting is.
any opponent preference for NLDS?
Mets are down to 1 great pitcher instead of 4. Syndegaard may pitch Sunday which means if Mets win the WC game, he'd be set up for Game 1. There's a chance they clinch a spot by Sunday so he'd pitch the WC and then we'd probably get Colon for Game 1. They've certainly had the hottest bats over the last week and month out of the WC options.
A couple of Cub related puzzles.
Can't teach height and thinness
Hopefully Pirates don't call up A. Lincoln.
j.buchanan going friday...should be...baseball...or something like it.
Wow. I didn't know they could do that.
Nice for Willson, not so much for Addy.
Game is officially called...also officially a tie.
Stats count, no make-up date of course.
Yeah -- seeing the weather -- I hope KB and Rizz are inside, wrapped in blankets and drinking hot chocolate.