Game 57 Thread / Rockies @ Cubs (4 of 4)
|SP||Ubaldo Jimenez||SP||Sean Gallagher|
|1-5, 5.37, 48 K, 33 BB, 58.2 IP||2-1, 4.50, 17 K, 10 BB, 26 IP|
|LF||*Scott Podsednik||LF||Alfonso Soriano|
|CF||*Cory Sullivan||SS||Ryan Theriot|
|1B||*Todd Helton||1B||*Micah Hoffpauir|
|3B||Garrett Atkins||3B||Aramis Ramirez|
|RF||*Seth Smith||RF||*Kosuke Fukudome|
|2B||*Ian Stewart||C||Geovany Soto|
|SS||*Omar Quintanilla||CF||*Jim Edmonds|
|C||Yorvit Torrealba||2B||Mark DeRosa|
|P||Ubaldo Jimenez||P||Sean Gallagher|
How do you top a 7-1 homestand and an 8-2 homestand? What about a 7-0 homestand? And let's not even think about that the Cubs would be going for the tenth straight win if it wasn't for those two unfortunate blown ninth-inning losses in Pittsburgh.
All this home-cooking might be needed, as the Cubs head out for a West Coast trip that will see them on the road for 23 of their next 32 games.
Today's lineup features Micah Hoffpauir in the three spot. I wonder what Lou had to do to get Derrek to take a game off?
Game notes fun after the jump...
- This is the first time since 1908 (see the parallel?) that the Cubs have entered June with the best record in baseabll.
- A win today and the Cubs would have their first back-to-back homestands with seven or more wins since 1984.
- The last time the Cubs started as well as 25-8 at home was 1977, the 1918 team was the last to go 26-8.
- The Cubs followed their 17-win April, with an 18-win May.
Sweep, Sweep, Sweep!!!
video of Maddon.
I'm sure some luck is involved too, but the Cubs and Maddon knew what they were doing.
If all the starters have FIP > ERA, is that luck or good defense?
#Cubs plummet to 19-5 in August.
Fun with FIP
- J. Hammel 3.07 ERA/4.27 FIP (3.68 FIP last year)
- J. Arrieta 2.62 ERA/3.05 FIP (2.35 FIP last year)
- J. Lester 2.81 ERA/3.67 FIP (2.92 FIP last year)
- K. Hendricks 2.19 ERA/3.37 FIP (3.36 FIP last year)
- J. Lackey 3.41 ERA/3.72 FIP (3.57 FIP last year with Cards)
zastyryzryzryzny put in 3.2ip 1h 0bb 3k
JD's take was just trying to get in a lefty to better deal with mostly lefty Dodgers lineup.
Maybe he was trying to spare him another brutal road start? NY, Colorado...
joe got a pitcher up for hammel at nearly the 1st sign of trouble in the 3rd...pulled after 2.1
not injured and though it wasn't his day so far he wasn't looking like a pure disaster.
really short leash on him. zastryznzryzryny in.
Classic Scully - great stuff.
Thank God we'll still have Hawk next season. (cricket cricket cricket)
Here's Scully's call on Bryant's 10th-inning homer:
"And it's a long fly ball, a mean fly ball, and a gone fly ball."
When the Cubs were the old, hundred-year Cubs, one bad hop did not undo their opponents.
If only he was clutcher. More clutcher.