Game 57 Thread / Rockies @ Cubs (4 of 4)
|SP||Ubaldo Jimenez||SP||Sean Gallagher|
|1-5, 5.37, 48 K, 33 BB, 58.2 IP||2-1, 4.50, 17 K, 10 BB, 26 IP|
|LF||*Scott Podsednik||LF||Alfonso Soriano|
|CF||*Cory Sullivan||SS||Ryan Theriot|
|1B||*Todd Helton||1B||*Micah Hoffpauir|
|3B||Garrett Atkins||3B||Aramis Ramirez|
|RF||*Seth Smith||RF||*Kosuke Fukudome|
|2B||*Ian Stewart||C||Geovany Soto|
|SS||*Omar Quintanilla||CF||*Jim Edmonds|
|C||Yorvit Torrealba||2B||Mark DeRosa|
|P||Ubaldo Jimenez||P||Sean Gallagher|
How do you top a 7-1 homestand and an 8-2 homestand? What about a 7-0 homestand? And let's not even think about that the Cubs would be going for the tenth straight win if it wasn't for those two unfortunate blown ninth-inning losses in Pittsburgh.
All this home-cooking might be needed, as the Cubs head out for a West Coast trip that will see them on the road for 23 of their next 32 games.
Today's lineup features Micah Hoffpauir in the three spot. I wonder what Lou had to do to get Derrek to take a game off?
Game notes fun after the jump...
- This is the first time since 1908 (see the parallel?) that the Cubs have entered June with the best record in baseabll.
- A win today and the Cubs would have their first back-to-back homestands with seven or more wins since 1984.
- The last time the Cubs started as well as 25-8 at home was 1977, the 1918 team was the last to go 26-8.
- The Cubs followed their 17-win April, with an 18-win May.
Sweep, Sweep, Sweep!!!
j.buchanan with a nice start...5ip 2h 1bb 3k, 0r/er
zobrist with 2HR and a double through 8
heyward 0-4 :(
Mark Gonzales @MDGonzales
Soler likely to return Sunday, Maddon says
Right now, I'd like to see the Mets first, Giants 2nd.
I believe that since most of the team from last years' NLCS is on the squad this year, they will really amp their game up even more to kick their ass in payback for 2015.
The Giants just do not have the depth in years past, and I think all things equal - and at Wrigley - they could handle them.
I do not want to see the Cards, period. Or their fans, media, or Joe Buck.
I don't want to play Braves in the first round. Any friggin team in the league can win 3 of 5..I hate the first round. Furthermore, I wanted to play the Marlins in 2003 and the Mets over Dodgers last year.
With that said in reverse order:
3. Cardinals: It will be devastating to lose in the first round, but even worse to their main rival. It is increased incentive for the Cardinals, especially after last year. Cards would have nothing to lose, Cubs have everything to lose.
2. Giants: Rotation in the playoffs scare me a bit, but what a lousy team.
1. Mets--because of the losses in the rotation
2. Giants--because they're not the team they were BUT they maybe have bullshit even-year magic?
3. Cardinals--because rivalry and not making the playoffs hurts them more than losing in the NLDS plus getting eliminated by them in the playoffs would make for horrible sports commentary next throughout next season.
CLE/DET rained out last night already, possible rain-outs in New York (vs. Baltimore), Boston(vs. Toronto) and Philly(vs. Mets) this weekend too.
Not only games involving playoff spots that would need to be played, but any that involve home field advantage.
I got the first one! Second one I'm not even sure what even/odd betting is.
any opponent preference for NLDS?
Mets are down to 1 great pitcher instead of 4. Syndegaard may pitch Sunday which means if Mets win the WC game, he'd be set up for Game 1. There's a chance they clinch a spot by Sunday so he'd pitch the WC and then we'd probably get Colon for Game 1. They've certainly had the hottest bats over the last week and month out of the WC options.
A couple of Cub related puzzles.
Can't teach height and thinness
Hopefully Pirates don't call up A. Lincoln.
j.buchanan going friday...should be...baseball...or something like it.
Wow. I didn't know they could do that.
Nice for Willson, not so much for Addy.
Game is officially called...also officially a tie.
Stats count, no make-up date of course.
Yeah -- seeing the weather -- I hope KB and Rizz are inside, wrapped in blankets and drinking hot chocolate.