Confucius Say: "Cubs Win! Cubs Win! Cubs Win!"
Josh Vitters went 3-4 with a single, a double, and a triple, a walk, one RBI, and two runs scored, Kyler Burke went 3-4 with two RBI and a run scored, and Carlos Perez had four singles, as the EXST Cubs banged-out 19 hits en route to an 8-6 victory over Team China at Fitch Park Field #3 this morning in Mesa.
Team China, which is based at the Peoria Sports Complex while preparing for the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing, was making its second appearance at Fitch Park during Extended Spring Training 2008. The EXST Cubs also have played two road games versus Team China in Peoria.
Team China is managed by ex-Cubs manager Jim Lefebvre, and he has his hands full trying to teach the most basic of fundamentals to a team full of "blank slates."
I first saw Team China out here a year ago, and although the team still needs a lot of work (especially the pitching staff, which mainly consists of soft-tossing right-handed breaking ball pitchers), there is no question that the Chinese are doing a better job of hitting, running the bases, and catching the ball than they did last year.
20-year old RHP Chris Huseby got the start for the Cubs today, and went one inning (20 pitches, only eight strikes). Because he has been having major control issues and has been struggling to throw strikes since Minor League Camp in March (in his last simulated game, he threw 30 pitches - 24 balls and only six strikes), Huseby rarely pitches in EXST games. So in an effort to help rebuild some confidence in the young right-hander, Boise pitching coach Tom Pratt had Huseby throw mostly change-ups and curve balls (Huseby fastballs tend to end up in the batter's ear). But even then he still threw more balls than strikes.
Here is today's abridged box score (Cubs players only)...
1. Cesar Salazar, CF: 1-5 (2 RBI)
2a. Marwin Gonzalez, 2B: 0-3
2b. Jose Made, 2B: 1-2 (3B, R)
3. Josh Vitters, 3B: 3-4 (2B, 3B, RBI, 2 R, BB, K)
4. Kyler Burke, RF: 3-4 (2B, 2 RBI, R, BB, K)
5. Robinson Chirinos, DH-C: 2-5 (RBI, K)
6. Junior Lake, DH #2: 0-4 (GIDP)
7a. Carlos Perez, C: 4-4 (R)
7b. Dwayne Kemp, PR-DH 1-1 (R)
8. Drew Rundle, 1B: 2-3 (R, SH)
9. Starlin Castro, SS: 0-4 (SB, PO, GIDP)
10. Kevin Soto, LF: 2-3 (3B, R, 2 RBI, SF, K)
1. Chris Huseby - 1.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP (20 pitches - 8 strikes, 12 balls)
2. Miguel Sierra - 3.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 2 K (2/5 GO/FO)
3. Jose Pina - 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K (4/1 GO/FO)
4. Julio Pena - 2.0 IP, 4 H, 3 R (3 ER), 0 BB, 2 K (2/2 GO/FO)
5. Michael Bunton - 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K, 1 GIDP
Josh Vitters, E-5, bounced throw past 1st baseman allowing batter to reach base with two outs, then runner scored on two-out double.
Carlos Perez, 0-1 CS, and one PB
WEATHER: Clear skies, game-time temperature in the 80's, with a S/W breeze.
ATTENDANCE: 4, plus Cubs VP of Player Personnel Oneri Fleita was watching the game from the tower.