Game 60 Thread / Cubs @ Padres (3 of 3)

Game Chat | Press Pass | BR Preview

SP *Ted Lilly SP Greg Maddux
  5-4, 5.54, 61 K, 21 BB, 65 IP
3-4, 3.69, 38 K, 12 BB, 70.2 IP

LF Alfonso Soriano CF Scott Hairston
SS Ryan Theriot 2B Edgar Gonzalez
1B Derrek Lee RF *Brian Giles
3B Aramis Ramirez 1B *Adrian Gonzalez
RF *Kosuke Fukudome 3B Kevin Kouzmanoff
CF *Jim Edmonds SS Khalil Greene
C Geovany Soto LF Justin Huber
2B Mark DeRosa C Michael Barrett
P *Ted Lilly P Greg Maddux

The Cubs go for their tenth (10th!) win a row, a feat they haven't done since 2001 when they strung together 12 wins in a row. It would also be their third straight series sweep. Oh, it's fun to be a Cubs fan these days.

On the mound, it's Ted Lilly still searching for his 2007 form. Things started looking up for him in May, that is until he met a 20 mph wind flying out of Wrigley last Friday. A wind the Cubs offsense used to pull off one of those miracle wins that it seems every good baseball team has at least once a season.

They'll have to go through Greg Maddux to get that win though, and the Maddog has enjoyed the spacious comforts of Petco Park to this point; sporting a 1.84 ERA at home, compared to a 5.01 ERA on the road. Let's say I'm less than shocked to discover that Maddux ended up on a team that curtailed the home run tendencies that he started showing late in his career.

Maddux versus the number one offense in baseball, should be fun!

Comments

Tonight's game is all on Ted Lilly. I am beyond confident that the Cubs can push at least 3 or 4 across on Maddux. Lilly needs to pitch at least 6 solid innings against the extremely weak San Diego offense.

We need this one. The 'stache must go!

Lilly bringing nothing to the first 3 hitters...Might be a rehash of his last outing against the Rockies. He was bad that day too.

Speaking of dark clouds...

StL rained out in DC, might be a doubleheader tomorrow although it's supposed to rain more there tomorrow.

Looking back at the 2001 team, how did that team stay in contention for as long as it did? Todd Dunwoody was getting semi-regular playing time, for cryin' out loud. And the Cubs won 12 in a row at one point and led the division by six games in late June!

just looked at the last I-Cubs boxscore and noted that Jason DuBois hit a HR for them on tuesday. Yes it's that Jason DuBois, who probably will get displaced by Micah Hoffpauir shortly. The circle of (baseball) life.

odd but I think we're really lucky to be down only 1-0

Lilly's 86mph fastball isn't getting by anyone today...

edmonds is a drama queen

I hate Hoffman.

A well-pitched game from Maddux and a terrible game for the Cubs' offense. Despite Jeff's "beyond" confidence.

One of the worst offensive game of the year? Ah well can't win em all...lets win 3 out of 4 from the Dodgers and we'll have a really nice road trip.

Was Lilly really that bad yesterday? I missed the game, but his final line in the box score looks pretty decent:

7.1 IP, 7H, 2ER, 2BB, 8K

Prefer to get the number of hits down, but that's not too bad overall.

First couple innings were a pretty bumpy ride. Seemed to wiggle his way off the hook most of the night. His velocity was way down in the first and second, but after that, seemed to get that good 89-91 mph fastball back.

Padres probably should have scored more than the 2 runs off of him, but they kept leaving guys on.

That game was vintage Maddux. His ball had some unbelievable movement on it, and he probably could have pitched 14 innings before he got to 100 pitches.

FWIW -- sore-legged Soriano is 3-for-3 in SB over the last 5 games, and is 6-for-6 on the year.

No BBs for the Cubs last night -- damn Maddux.

Barrett was brutal last night.

Lilly was trying to run on him.

That was a hit and run, not an attempted steal.

And it wasn't just Barrett; Maddux is incredibly easy to run on, as we saw in the Lilly situation with the HUGE jump Lilly got.

True: Maddux/Barrett battery = David Wells stealing bases

Is this a good time to bring up how all the stealing didn't help us score any runs?

Brewers going 9-1 in their last 10 games and gaining exactly 0 games on first-place Cubs in that time span. Love it.