Game 62 Thread / Cubs @ Dodgers (2 of 4)

Game Chat | Press Pass | BR Preview

SP Sean Gallagher SP Hiroki Kuroda
  3-1, 4.55, 25 K, 10 BB, 31.2 IP
2-5, 3.93, 37 K, 23 BB, 71 IP

LF Alfonso Soriano LF *Juan Pierre
SS Ryan Theriot RF #Delwyn Young
1B Derrek Lee 2B Jeff Kent
3B Aramis Ramirez 1B *James Loney
RF *Kosuke Fukudome CF Matt Kemp
CF *Jim Edmonds 3B *Blake DeWitt
2B Mark DeRosa C Danny Ardoin
C Henry Blanco SS Chin-Lung Hu
P Sean Gallagher P Hiroki Kuroda

A win tonight and the Cubs are the proud owner of a winning road trip. They will aslo be the first team to 40 wins this season, a seemingly insignificant milestone that reader "JohnBeasley" shows is at the very least, a marker of good things to come.

First in the majors to 40:
2007: 6/9 - BOS (won World Series) and LAA (made playoffs)
2006: 6/11 - DET (won pennant)
2005: 6/8 - CHW (won World Series)
2004: 6/13 - NYY (made playoffs)

Source: BaseballRace.com

It'll be up to 22-year Sean Gallagher to try and accomplish the task, and he fared well last week versus the Dodgers, going seven innings and only allowing one earned run, albeit in prime pitching conditions. And while there was talk a few weeks back that Gallagher is just keeping the seat warm for either Sean Marshall or Rich Hill's return, he seems to have gotten on Lou's good graces.

"He's got a good arm," Cubs manager Lou Piniella said.
"He's basically learning to pitch at the big-league level. He's working
every time he works in the bullpen on his second and third pitches.
He's got a fine arm.

"I've said many times it surprised me how good an arm
he has. I didn't see it last spring, and I didn't see it last summer,
and I didn't see it this spring. I knew he had the potential to be a
major-league pitcher, but I didn't realize he threw as hard as he did."

I'll be at Dodger Stadium for the next two after tonight, wish me luck with the parking lot.

Comments

Edmonds at catcher! WOO!!!

Cubs going with the rare 2 catcher alignment.

lou has lost his fucking mind.

going with the classic 2-catcher/0-CF setup and they choose edmonds over fontegod?

what's up with this joker?!?!

Gee ROB G:

You shouldn't have any parking problems on Sunday, at least.

another WGN game...another 1000 herpies and limp dick pill commercials.

i swear...cubs fans...start taking care of your dicks.

wtf...

5IP, one hit.....and 7 BB

Ugh.

Too bad Hill can't hit like Ankiel

Umps seem to be anti-Cub tonight.

Terrible call at first costs the Cubs a run following the Brenley jinx ("this is a sure thing RBI for Aramis").

Now LA loads 'em up with no outs.

We're gonna need some runs, boys. Wake up them bats.

At least the Cards and Brewers lost.

it's tough watching a game when the umpiring crew is so inconsistent and bad.

Kent's K was a ball and of course his arguing is going to get him run from the game.
Fukudome's double play was a force out RBI, boo Cousins.
Kuroda's pitching so slowly that the hitters need to step out and slow up the game even more, but the umps don't do much about it. I thought someone was supposed to time the pitcher to 12 seconds...

I hate bad umpiring. Derryl Cousins and Marty Foster, please go away.

Doesn't seem like the Cubs are going to score 4 tonight.

G'Night.

Anyone noticing that Scott Eyre has been really good in the limited role Lou's used him? 2 more K's last night in 2/3 IP.

Certainly better than at any point last year. Can't hurt that he's on a contract season.

Curse Fox and their blackout rights.

• Chapman shouldn't be reserved anymore on 40 man.

chitownmvp01 1 hour 41 min ago view
  • Interesting split on Heyward according to ESPN. As a CF, his slash line .292/.363/.375/.738. At RF: .212/.204/.300/.604. 21/72 as a CF, 58/273 as a RF.

He's also been better when batting 2nd, but he had a nice start in the 6 hole, but has slumped ever since. He was heating up before the All Star break, but is only hitting .108 in the 2nd half.

chitownmvp01 1 hour 49 min ago view
  • When we played the Reds with Chapman, I always thought of it as an eight-inning game. So now other teams have eight innings to try to get a lead against the Cubs. Should be a challenge, assuming three or four Cubs ever start hitting again.

I don't really try to get to know and like these players personally. I'm rooting for laundry, for the most part. Exceptions might be when a player makes trouble in the clubhouse or in the dugout. (Zambrano and Bradley come to mind. Also Papelbon.) But I don't think Chapman is one of those jerks.

VirginiaPhil 5 hours 21 min ago view
  • Unfortunately, a pretty good summary. It looks like next year Heyward will be getting yet another batting stance adjustment.

The recent good news has been Baez. I'm afraid about the next league adjustment on him, though, which is probably right around the corner.

Bryant I don't worry about too much. Just not seeing the ball well right now. He'll turn it around. Russell's been good with men in scoring position all year and he's 22ish. He'll be fine but next year is likely to be his breakout year.

• If Travis' back-to-back-to-back walks cost Hendricks the ERA title, that would really suck.

• Edit: "A lifeless loss to a lousy Sox team."

• This place is a real downer after a loss to the Sox.

• I expect they will go 5-9 games above .500 the rest of the year. 96-98 wins will win the Division.

They should have one more 2-3 week hot streak in them.

However, several players are just "average" for the last month: Zobrist, Ross, Russell, Ceasar. Montero is terrible, plus he cannot throw anyone out. -WAR. Heyward is abysmal at the plate, but a plus in the OF. Still with RISP he has been terrible. KB has not been driving in runs as of late. But Apparently the team is still above average with RISP according to S Sahadev.

• I came to that realization tonight. I kept expecting them to play better, but now I realize they aren't going to. They are a .500 team now.
    - They have one reliable starting pitcher. Jake's magic is gone, and it doesn't look like it's coming back. Lester has been lousy recently. Lackey's ERA goes up every time he pitches.
    - Heyward has been dead weight all year. I can't remember a single series where he was a significant offensive contributor. Not one. Great defense, but but if he were hitting .270 with 10 HR and played average defense, the Cubs would be better off.

• new rule...no one's allowed to throw k.bryant a changeup

• Team is .500 since early May and is playing like a .500 team. Lack of offense seems to be putting a lot of pressure on the pitchers...and they aren't handling it terribly well.

.500 the rest of the way still may win the division though.

blockhead25 17 hours 48 min ago view
  • ...i hate espn.

nothing like settling into a cubs game to get a few minutes cutaway for an ortiz AB in the 6th inning of the det/bos game.

oh, at least they're doing split screen now...i guess.

• I'm liking this rookie Nathan.

CTSteve 18 hours 4 min ago view
  • Richard DFA'd. Meh...

• Throwbacks with fashionable cutouts would be a nice touch.

• The next 2 games are nationally televised. I think we dominate tonight, hitting 3 HRs off Shields. Great night for KB to end HR drought facing HR prone pitcher in one of the most hitter friendly parks in the league.

chitownmvp01 1 day 52 sec ago view