Game 62 Thread / Cubs @ Dodgers (2 of 4)

Game Chat | Press Pass | BR Preview

SP Sean Gallagher SP Hiroki Kuroda
  3-1, 4.55, 25 K, 10 BB, 31.2 IP
2-5, 3.93, 37 K, 23 BB, 71 IP

LF Alfonso Soriano LF *Juan Pierre
SS Ryan Theriot RF #Delwyn Young
1B Derrek Lee 2B Jeff Kent
3B Aramis Ramirez 1B *James Loney
RF *Kosuke Fukudome CF Matt Kemp
CF *Jim Edmonds 3B *Blake DeWitt
2B Mark DeRosa C Danny Ardoin
C Henry Blanco SS Chin-Lung Hu
P Sean Gallagher P Hiroki Kuroda

A win tonight and the Cubs are the proud owner of a winning road trip. They will aslo be the first team to 40 wins this season, a seemingly insignificant milestone that reader "JohnBeasley" shows is at the very least, a marker of good things to come.

First in the majors to 40:
2007: 6/9 - BOS (won World Series) and LAA (made playoffs)
2006: 6/11 - DET (won pennant)
2005: 6/8 - CHW (won World Series)
2004: 6/13 - NYY (made playoffs)

Source: BaseballRace.com

It'll be up to 22-year Sean Gallagher to try and accomplish the task, and he fared well last week versus the Dodgers, going seven innings and only allowing one earned run, albeit in prime pitching conditions. And while there was talk a few weeks back that Gallagher is just keeping the seat warm for either Sean Marshall or Rich Hill's return, he seems to have gotten on Lou's good graces.

"He's got a good arm," Cubs manager Lou Piniella said.
"He's basically learning to pitch at the big-league level. He's working
every time he works in the bullpen on his second and third pitches.
He's got a fine arm.

"I've said many times it surprised me how good an arm
he has. I didn't see it last spring, and I didn't see it last summer,
and I didn't see it this spring. I knew he had the potential to be a
major-league pitcher, but I didn't realize he threw as hard as he did."

I'll be at Dodger Stadium for the next two after tonight, wish me luck with the parking lot.

Comments

Edmonds at catcher! WOO!!!

Cubs going with the rare 2 catcher alignment.

lou has lost his fucking mind.

going with the classic 2-catcher/0-CF setup and they choose edmonds over fontegod?

what's up with this joker?!?!

Gee ROB G:

You shouldn't have any parking problems on Sunday, at least.

another WGN game...another 1000 herpies and limp dick pill commercials.

i swear...cubs fans...start taking care of your dicks.

wtf...

5IP, one hit.....and 7 BB

Ugh.

Too bad Hill can't hit like Ankiel

Umps seem to be anti-Cub tonight.

Terrible call at first costs the Cubs a run following the Brenley jinx ("this is a sure thing RBI for Aramis").

Now LA loads 'em up with no outs.

We're gonna need some runs, boys. Wake up them bats.

At least the Cards and Brewers lost.

it's tough watching a game when the umpiring crew is so inconsistent and bad.

Kent's K was a ball and of course his arguing is going to get him run from the game.
Fukudome's double play was a force out RBI, boo Cousins.
Kuroda's pitching so slowly that the hitters need to step out and slow up the game even more, but the umps don't do much about it. I thought someone was supposed to time the pitcher to 12 seconds...

I hate bad umpiring. Derryl Cousins and Marty Foster, please go away.

Doesn't seem like the Cubs are going to score 4 tonight.

G'Night.

Anyone noticing that Scott Eyre has been really good in the limited role Lou's used him? 2 more K's last night in 2/3 IP.

Certainly better than at any point last year. Can't hurt that he's on a contract season.

Curse Fox and their blackout rights.

• dodgers calling up julio urias for tommorow's game. neat.

fernando-mania might have a new heir...dude is 19 (turns 20 in august) and he's got a legit argument for being MLB-ready.

crunch 2 min 20 sec ago view
  • jacos 1 hour 22 min ago view
  • Happ was the #9 pick last year, and he moved from OF to 2B in the same offseason that Castro was traded.

Gleyber also in the picture at second.

VirginiaPhil 4 hours 50 min ago view
  • jacos 5 hours 10 min ago view
  • Co-sign

Ryno 5 hours 10 min ago view
  • Transmission 5 hours 20 min ago view
  • O&B: I think D. J. Wilson is a legit MLB prospect.

He is a hyperactive dynamo on the field, a protypical lead-off hitter who is looking to get on base any way he can, a triple machine (if there is such a thing) when he does make solid contact, a daring baserunner who goes berserk once he is on base, and a CF who plays a "no fear" crash & burn style of defense.

Guys like that sometimes get injured more-often than the average player, but if he can stay healthy and continue to progress, I believe he will be an MLB CF, or at worst a 4th OF.

Arizona Phil 5 hours 31 min ago view
  • The hot start was nice, but it won't always come easy. It's nice to see them have to work for it every once in a while.

Ryno 7 hours 38 min ago view
  • Hey, AZ, are you as high on DJ Wilson as your pal John Arguello is?

• Phil, I just wanted to say thank you for diligently tracking the Cubs prospects in extended spring training and sharing your knowledge with us. It's remarkable how you're able to keep box scores for multiple games at once. I, and I'm sure others here, appreciate the data and insight you provide for us.

K Dub 10 hours 49 min ago view
  • Thanks PHIL.

Boy, that is a nifty K:BB ratio Hudson has going at almost 4:1!

I hope he continues improving.

• And of course the Bucs won again playing AZ (not PHIL). They dont seem to have a problem yet with the bottom feeders.

They picked up 3 games this last week.

I'm looking forward to them coming to the Chi.

• Don't mess with the SI jinx. Since the Javy/Cubs cover came out, he is 2-for-20 with no walks.

• BRADSBEARD: If all three are assigned to Eugene, the Cubs can play Galindo, Paredes, and Paniagua at the same time by moving Paredes between SS-3B-DH, Galindo between 3B-1B-DH, and Paniagua between 1B-LF-DH.

The Cubs like to have their players (including their minor leaguers) learn to play more than one position even if they eventually are projected to settle at one spot, and I suspect that will be reflected at Eugene, with just about everybody who will be assigned there able to play at least two positions.

Arizona Phil 17 hours 46 min ago view
  • Thanks - at least the scorer was consistent

Eric S 18 hours 13 sec ago view
  • I don't think the error call was completely out of the blue but the ball took a very bad hop and would have taken a very good play to get it. Same with one of the Stella throws where I think it could have easily been ruled a hit. Neither were cut and dry calls though imo.