Game 62 Thread / Cubs @ Dodgers (2 of 4)

Game Chat | Press Pass | BR Preview

SP Sean Gallagher SP Hiroki Kuroda
  3-1, 4.55, 25 K, 10 BB, 31.2 IP
2-5, 3.93, 37 K, 23 BB, 71 IP

LF Alfonso Soriano LF *Juan Pierre
SS Ryan Theriot RF #Delwyn Young
1B Derrek Lee 2B Jeff Kent
3B Aramis Ramirez 1B *James Loney
RF *Kosuke Fukudome CF Matt Kemp
CF *Jim Edmonds 3B *Blake DeWitt
2B Mark DeRosa C Danny Ardoin
C Henry Blanco SS Chin-Lung Hu
P Sean Gallagher P Hiroki Kuroda

A win tonight and the Cubs are the proud owner of a winning road trip. They will aslo be the first team to 40 wins this season, a seemingly insignificant milestone that reader "JohnBeasley" shows is at the very least, a marker of good things to come.

First in the majors to 40:
2007: 6/9 - BOS (won World Series) and LAA (made playoffs)
2006: 6/11 - DET (won pennant)
2005: 6/8 - CHW (won World Series)
2004: 6/13 - NYY (made playoffs)

Source: BaseballRace.com

It'll be up to 22-year Sean Gallagher to try and accomplish the task, and he fared well last week versus the Dodgers, going seven innings and only allowing one earned run, albeit in prime pitching conditions. And while there was talk a few weeks back that Gallagher is just keeping the seat warm for either Sean Marshall or Rich Hill's return, he seems to have gotten on Lou's good graces.

"He's got a good arm," Cubs manager Lou Piniella said.
"He's basically learning to pitch at the big-league level. He's working
every time he works in the bullpen on his second and third pitches.
He's got a fine arm.

"I've said many times it surprised me how good an arm
he has. I didn't see it last spring, and I didn't see it last summer,
and I didn't see it this spring. I knew he had the potential to be a
major-league pitcher, but I didn't realize he threw as hard as he did."

I'll be at Dodger Stadium for the next two after tonight, wish me luck with the parking lot.

Comments

Edmonds at catcher! WOO!!!

Cubs going with the rare 2 catcher alignment.

lou has lost his fucking mind.

going with the classic 2-catcher/0-CF setup and they choose edmonds over fontegod?

what's up with this joker?!?!

Gee ROB G:

You shouldn't have any parking problems on Sunday, at least.

another WGN game...another 1000 herpies and limp dick pill commercials.

i swear...cubs fans...start taking care of your dicks.

wtf...

5IP, one hit.....and 7 BB

Ugh.

Too bad Hill can't hit like Ankiel

Umps seem to be anti-Cub tonight.

Terrible call at first costs the Cubs a run following the Brenley jinx ("this is a sure thing RBI for Aramis").

Now LA loads 'em up with no outs.

We're gonna need some runs, boys. Wake up them bats.

At least the Cards and Brewers lost.

it's tough watching a game when the umpiring crew is so inconsistent and bad.

Kent's K was a ball and of course his arguing is going to get him run from the game.
Fukudome's double play was a force out RBI, boo Cousins.
Kuroda's pitching so slowly that the hitters need to step out and slow up the game even more, but the umps don't do much about it. I thought someone was supposed to time the pitcher to 12 seconds...

I hate bad umpiring. Derryl Cousins and Marty Foster, please go away.

Doesn't seem like the Cubs are going to score 4 tonight.

G'Night.

Anyone noticing that Scott Eyre has been really good in the limited role Lou's used him? 2 more K's last night in 2/3 IP.

Certainly better than at any point last year. Can't hurt that he's on a contract season.

Curse Fox and their blackout rights.

• Oh my! Cards down 2-1 to Reds in the bottom of the 9th -- get a leadoff triple -- and don't score!

• Gameday has stopped at the top of the 8th inning. Google tells me it ended up 8-4 Pirates but I can't get further detail. Guess I'll have to wait until the Cubs' website updates...

JoePepitone 4 hours 11 min ago view
  • Attaboy!

• Phil, thanks for posting. Where do find the schedule? I have a condo in Surprise, yet I drove to Mesa and Tempe looking for a game today! Thanks!

rvimpeny 4 hours 27 min ago view
  • Dear Baseball Gods--
    My trip to Chicago has nothing whatsoever to do with the Cubs. In actuality, I am a Red Sox fan.
    Sincerely,
    CTSteve

CTSteve 4 hours 28 min ago view
  • Well, if Strop had to give up a run...at least he hit Sean Rodriguez to do it.

• strop...stawwwp.

jaso has a cycle and 5 rbis...pit leads by 4.

• have a nice bowl of pizza soup deep dish pizza...or a leisurely walk around the notorious south-side (bring money)...shopping at one of the walmart supercenters...waiting in line to waste $20 at willis tower...

seriously, though...it's chicago, a lot to do. have a dog for lunch, a great dinner, and catch some local comedy.

• Strange, because he really seemed to have the Pirates number last year.

Bummer for Jake -- I think this is the first time all year his ERA has been over 3.00, and that will be his number for the year.

• Jinx remover -- your trip doesn't have to be for a baseball game -- lots of stuff to do here in town.

• Guess they could always try to White Sox (and Bears...sob) approach: Never Rebuild! Seems to work pretty well for them.

• 3rd time this season he's given up 6+ runs to PIT...only team he's given up 6+ runs to this season.

7 runs is the most he's given up since august 6th in colorado...in 2014.

• Over 100 pitches, only the 5th.

Brick 5 hours 35 min ago view
  • coghlan out...got his cleats stuck in the wall attempting a play (failed, but looked great doing it). walking off on his own, precautionary/day-to-day looking stuff...hopefully not worse.

also, jake arrieta is literally worse than hitler. 1-5, bottom 5. ...make that 1-6, bottom 5. ...make that 1-7, bottom 5.

• Coghlan crashes into wall and comes up limping, looks like left knee or ankle. Leaves game...

Arrieta inspiring no confidence yet again.

• from a sun-times article that I won't link to so you don't have to bear the ad-loading that will crush your browser

When he left Boston after nine years as general manager, Epstein said he believed in the philosophy espoused by legendary football coach Bill Walsh: essentially that 10 years is a natural shelf life for a high-stress job.