Game 62 Thread / Cubs @ Dodgers (2 of 4)

Game Chat | Press Pass | BR Preview

SP Sean Gallagher SP Hiroki Kuroda
  3-1, 4.55, 25 K, 10 BB, 31.2 IP
2-5, 3.93, 37 K, 23 BB, 71 IP

LF Alfonso Soriano LF *Juan Pierre
SS Ryan Theriot RF #Delwyn Young
1B Derrek Lee 2B Jeff Kent
3B Aramis Ramirez 1B *James Loney
RF *Kosuke Fukudome CF Matt Kemp
CF *Jim Edmonds 3B *Blake DeWitt
2B Mark DeRosa C Danny Ardoin
C Henry Blanco SS Chin-Lung Hu
P Sean Gallagher P Hiroki Kuroda

A win tonight and the Cubs are the proud owner of a winning road trip. They will aslo be the first team to 40 wins this season, a seemingly insignificant milestone that reader "JohnBeasley" shows is at the very least, a marker of good things to come.

First in the majors to 40:
2007: 6/9 - BOS (won World Series) and LAA (made playoffs)
2006: 6/11 - DET (won pennant)
2005: 6/8 - CHW (won World Series)
2004: 6/13 - NYY (made playoffs)

Source: BaseballRace.com

It'll be up to 22-year Sean Gallagher to try and accomplish the task, and he fared well last week versus the Dodgers, going seven innings and only allowing one earned run, albeit in prime pitching conditions. And while there was talk a few weeks back that Gallagher is just keeping the seat warm for either Sean Marshall or Rich Hill's return, he seems to have gotten on Lou's good graces.

"He's got a good arm," Cubs manager Lou Piniella said.
"He's basically learning to pitch at the big-league level. He's working
every time he works in the bullpen on his second and third pitches.
He's got a fine arm.

"I've said many times it surprised me how good an arm
he has. I didn't see it last spring, and I didn't see it last summer,
and I didn't see it this spring. I knew he had the potential to be a
major-league pitcher, but I didn't realize he threw as hard as he did."

I'll be at Dodger Stadium for the next two after tonight, wish me luck with the parking lot.

Comments

Edmonds at catcher! WOO!!!

Cubs going with the rare 2 catcher alignment.

lou has lost his fucking mind.

going with the classic 2-catcher/0-CF setup and they choose edmonds over fontegod?

what's up with this joker?!?!

Gee ROB G:

You shouldn't have any parking problems on Sunday, at least.

another WGN game...another 1000 herpies and limp dick pill commercials.

i swear...cubs fans...start taking care of your dicks.

wtf...

5IP, one hit.....and 7 BB

Ugh.

Too bad Hill can't hit like Ankiel

Umps seem to be anti-Cub tonight.

Terrible call at first costs the Cubs a run following the Brenley jinx ("this is a sure thing RBI for Aramis").

Now LA loads 'em up with no outs.

We're gonna need some runs, boys. Wake up them bats.

At least the Cards and Brewers lost.

it's tough watching a game when the umpiring crew is so inconsistent and bad.

Kent's K was a ball and of course his arguing is going to get him run from the game.
Fukudome's double play was a force out RBI, boo Cousins.
Kuroda's pitching so slowly that the hitters need to step out and slow up the game even more, but the umps don't do much about it. I thought someone was supposed to time the pitcher to 12 seconds...

I hate bad umpiring. Derryl Cousins and Marty Foster, please go away.

Doesn't seem like the Cubs are going to score 4 tonight.

G'Night.

Anyone noticing that Scott Eyre has been really good in the limited role Lou's used him? 2 more K's last night in 2/3 IP.

Certainly better than at any point last year. Can't hurt that he's on a contract season.

Curse Fox and their blackout rights.

• For sure! Russell and Baez are the first infielders in a while to make me think of star defensive players in football or basketball--it's almost like they force turnovers, and they definitely play the field with a degree of athletic aggression I'd expect from a linebacker.

[Edit: Was meant to be a response to JB above.]

Charlie 56 min 22 sec ago view
  • tebow hit a HR in the 1st pitch he sees in instructs..lulz.

crunch 1 hour 3 min ago view
  • I don't think his issue(s) will have anything to do with it. He hasn't hit since he's been back. Coghlan has the hot hand.

Tito 3 hours 27 min ago view
  • I'm not a denier but definitely a skeptic on Strop and Grimm, who struggle with fastball control. Strop doesn't go near the ninth inning, and note how Grimm couldn't close the deal even with a 5-run lead. So Felix Pena comes in and gets the 3-pitch game-ending strikeout like it was nothing.

And how about Almora missing that very catchable ball? That was unexpected after all the hype about his glove.

When Trea Turner misses balls like that--which he does--I draw conclusions from it. It seems to be the one chink in his armor. But I'll give Almora another chance.

VirginiaPhil 3 hours 32 min ago view
  • Assuming Soler is good to go, I think it comes down to 3 of the following 4: Coghlan, TLS, Sczcur, Almora. Of the 4, TLS seems to be the hardest to justify, particularly given his behavioral issues.

• I'm wondering if both Coghlan and LaStella make it. With Javy being able to play all the infield spots and Joe maybe wanting late-inning D when Soler plays (assuming he plays), hence either Szczur or Almora, I think LaStella might be the odd guy out.

Tito 3 hours 40 min ago view
  • Hendricks needs the win, anyway, plus a couple more.

My hunch is that Hendricks wins the Cy Young . . . for Lester. That is, without Hendricks tipping the scale toward the Cubs, Scherzer tops Lester.

VirginiaPhil 3 hours 53 min ago view
  • Old Cub fans remember when Ken Hubbs died at 22 in the crash of a small plane he was piloting in a storm in Utah in 1964. But Hubbs was not an elite power pitcher like Score and Fernandez. Score lived a long time after the accident but it was (effectively) career-ending.

VirginiaPhil 3 hours 57 min ago view
  • HAGSAG: Since I've only seen them throw in one game and in one "live" BP session, all I can do is provide initial first impressions.

Brailyn Marquez is listed at 6'4 but is probably more like 6'5 or 6'6. I would describe him as a younger version of Bryan Hudson, throwing a ton of ground balls but not getting a lot of swings & misses (yet). Because of his size he could eventually grow into more velocity, but right now he's mostly a pitch-to-contact guy. He generally throws strikes.

Arizona Phil 4 hours 2 min ago view
  • Phil, do Marquez and Ocampo look like prospects?

Hagsag 7 hours 47 min ago view
  • It helps when your defense has declared war against the H in WHIP.

Still impressive.

John Beasley 7 hours 49 min ago view
  • Lackey finishes with a 3.35 ERA. Currently good for 13th in the NL. Not bad for a guy signed to be a #3 starter in a 15-team league.

He is also 6th in WHIP. Pretty amazing: Cubs have the #2, #3, #5 and #6 starters in WHIP.

• Completely meaningless game, but Pena striking out Sean the Turd to with the bases loaded was very fun.

Other than one bad game in SD, Pena has been very good. Even with that game, 9.0 IP, 13 K, 0.89 WHIP.

• 101 wins...most since 1910 (104).

neat. ...or sad. pick one. pick both. 'murica.

• Just looked up Grimm's stats -- after a great run, he gave up 2 runs vs. MIL then didn't pitch for 10 days. Don't remember why?

• Sean Rodriguez's helmet looks like it's taking a dump