I know Dusty's Long Gone But...

Damn....just damn. (emphasis added)

-----------------------------

Dusty Baker wants his hitters to hit. He likes aggressive hitters. He was talking about Joey Votto and finished with this:

“I really, really hate the called third strike. I hate that. You're guess and you ain't ready to hit.”

Does the aggressive stuff go for Adam Dunn, too? “Like I said, I don't like called third strikes. Dunn’s not a kid. He's not old, but he ain't a kid. I bet you he gets better. He's from Texas, right? There’s not a cow in Texas if he don’t get better.”

“He wants to get better. Barry Bonds he always told me Dunn would be one of the best around. Comes to hitting, Barry’s got a pretty good idea.”

On Votto: “He needs to swing some more. I talked to him about that. Strikeouts aren't the only criteria. I'd like to see him more aggressive.”

“A lot of this on-base percentage is taking away the aggressiveness of some young kids. Most of the time you’ve got to put handcuffs on a young to keep him from swinging.”

Comments

Wow.....just hilarious. Dusty? 1987 is calling, and it wants its approach back.

lol... classic!

It's much funnier when it isn't your team.

Now I'm thinking he took the Cincy job specifically because he knew Dunn was from Texas, and we wanted to use that line.

He's become a parody of himself. Funny shit when he's the competition, though!

All I can say is this. Better them than us gentelmen. I can't wait til Cincy Greg or whoever starts lurking here. Asking us what we all think of Dusty.

According to Dusty, yesterdays Cubs game (0 walks by our hitters, 6 walks allowed by our pitchers) should have resulted in a Cubs victory since "walks clog the bases".

Reds fans will be pulling out their hair over hiring the moron long before the all-star break.

dusty wants power hitters to swing the bat...imagine that. shocking news every time he says it...wow. too bad he cant be more elegant about it.

all the "dusty blah blah" aside...votto DOES need to expand his zone. he's a power hitter not taking advantage of his own power. he's also not THAT selective. he dont have a bonds eye or anything. he does have the ability to expand his hitting, though. he's not a pure-pull guy.

right, if he was just a better orator he wouldn't come off like such a dumbass.

Well said...

he keeps saying the same thing and applying it to the power hitters. he has a thing for contact hitters, but it generally comes down to the same thing...he wants his power hitters to swing.

the people he bitches about in the context of his verbal garbage arent your theriot-types and i dont think dusty's under the illusion that a guy who walks 50 times a year in 600+PA is suddenly gonna become a 100 walk guy cuz he verbally says "hey dude, why dont you lay off that pitch you keep missing, man. it's obvious you're not getting fooled, man, so lay off it."

all that aside...votto is a guy who's bat can do a lot more than scott hatteberg impersonations (with a touch more speed). he does need to expand his offerings, imo.

I just realized that for the first time, Im older than everyone on the Cubs 40 man roster. Damn this sucks.

wrong post...

• LHP Clayton Richard (released by the Cubs earlier this month) is pitching very well as a starting pitcher for the San Diego Padres and could be a good candidate to get traded to a contender looking for a veteran SP before tomorrow night's post-season roster eligibility deadline.

Because they released him, the Cubs are paying most of Richard's 2016 salary (the Cubs are on the hooks for $2M, minus the pro-rated portion of the MLB minimum salary that is paid by the Padres).

Arizona Phil 1 hour 2 min ago view
  • it is honestly awesome (for real) that anyone would even have a strong opinion on AZL playoffs. i guess if you invest enough time watching it, you want to see a fair/just playoff structure.

plus, the kids deserve it.

crunch 1 hour 3 min ago view
  • The AZL team with the best record over the course of the full 2016 AZL season and the only AZL team to play .600 ball (the AZL Dodgers) did not qualify for the AZL playoffs, and the AZL East Division team with the best record over the course of the full season (the AZL Athletics) did not qualify for the AZL playoffs, either.

That's because of the ridiculous "split season" schedule most of the minor leagues now play, a stupid system that rewards mediocrity at the expense of the worthy.

Arizona Phil 1 hour 10 min ago view
  • Despite good movement on his fastball, I think location kept him from getting Ks. Left some pitches up and away that got hammered up and away. Then of course Travis Wood gave up the 2-run double in the 7th, but both runs counted against Arrieta.

Charlie 1 hour 46 min ago view
  • "i'm gonna make you my main squeeze one day, bro. save the date."

This level of discourse is #charming.

#baseballtalk

Tito 1 hour 47 min ago view
  • I would be having this discussion with anyone who (a) blathered on ad nauseum about the topic. (See, "Olt, Mike, not given an opportunity") or (b) responded directly to what I posted (which you did).

Have a nice day.

#baseballtalk

Tito 1 hour 49 min ago view
  • what would you do without me? aside from having your posting content here cut by 75%+?

i'm gonna make you my main squeeze one day, bro. save the date.

crunch 1 hour 53 min ago view
  • In this instance, yes, I care more about the result of this big thing that isn't really a big thing.

#crunchsplaining

#willlistentojeffsullivanmorethanyou

#blessyourheart

#hitler

#tcrmartyr

#billyhamiltonwar

#baseballtalk

Tito 1 hour 53 min ago view
  • Two things:

Fangraphs WAR #s include baserunning and Hamilton is elite at that. He leads in SBs with the 54 and and has an 87% rate which is really good. I'm sure once he gets on base he's able to take the extra base quite often too. Both those things will up his overall WAR value.

The differences between BR and FG WAR is pretty well documented online and thus If there are discrepancies it's fairly easy to figure out why. It's fairly well accepted that BR WAR is fine as a snapshot but FG is better at predicting future value.

johann 1 hour 57 min ago view
  • i have no doubt at all you quit reading at that point. you're very enamored with outcomes without caring what it takes to get there.

the fact it's exploitable, especially without someone to cover the running game for him, as well it's evolution in how people are testing possible exploits is interesting to some people...to me...i'm some people...hurrah.

some people want to check the boxscore to see who won, some want to know how it went down.

• I read it as him saying it's not really that much of a concern and that the one time it really cost Lester, vs. K.C., was an anomaly.

#baseballtalk

Tito 2 hours 15 min ago view
  • if jeff says it, it's cool...when i say it, it's straight from the mouth of hitler.

aside from the lack of jeff touching on the insane leads runners take and lester's inability to throw if he's fielding, this is a lot of what i've said about the issue.

exploitable, needs his own personal catcher to control his shortcomings, relies on his ability to get outs along with his personal catcher keeping runners in check before things become further exploited...

• That would be Rice Krispy Treat

• "Crunch's cousin"

Butterfinger or Baby Ruth?

VirginiaPhil 3 hours 50 min ago view
  • I saw the first three innings and the last three, so I didn't see Arrieta get hit. His stuff looked nasty at first...what happened? Any insight from anyone who watched?

#baseballtalk

Tito 4 hours 2 min ago view
  • That question came from CRUNCH's cousin.