I know Dusty's Long Gone But...

Damn....just damn. (emphasis added)

-----------------------------

Dusty Baker wants his hitters to hit. He likes aggressive hitters. He was talking about Joey Votto and finished with this:

“I really, really hate the called third strike. I hate that. You're guess and you ain't ready to hit.”

Does the aggressive stuff go for Adam Dunn, too? “Like I said, I don't like called third strikes. Dunn’s not a kid. He's not old, but he ain't a kid. I bet you he gets better. He's from Texas, right? There’s not a cow in Texas if he don’t get better.”

“He wants to get better. Barry Bonds he always told me Dunn would be one of the best around. Comes to hitting, Barry’s got a pretty good idea.”

On Votto: “He needs to swing some more. I talked to him about that. Strikeouts aren't the only criteria. I'd like to see him more aggressive.”

“A lot of this on-base percentage is taking away the aggressiveness of some young kids. Most of the time you’ve got to put handcuffs on a young to keep him from swinging.”

Comments

Wow.....just hilarious. Dusty? 1987 is calling, and it wants its approach back.

lol... classic!

It's much funnier when it isn't your team.

Now I'm thinking he took the Cincy job specifically because he knew Dunn was from Texas, and we wanted to use that line.

He's become a parody of himself. Funny shit when he's the competition, though!

All I can say is this. Better them than us gentelmen. I can't wait til Cincy Greg or whoever starts lurking here. Asking us what we all think of Dusty.

According to Dusty, yesterdays Cubs game (0 walks by our hitters, 6 walks allowed by our pitchers) should have resulted in a Cubs victory since "walks clog the bases".

Reds fans will be pulling out their hair over hiring the moron long before the all-star break.

dusty wants power hitters to swing the bat...imagine that. shocking news every time he says it...wow. too bad he cant be more elegant about it.

all the "dusty blah blah" aside...votto DOES need to expand his zone. he's a power hitter not taking advantage of his own power. he's also not THAT selective. he dont have a bonds eye or anything. he does have the ability to expand his hitting, though. he's not a pure-pull guy.

right, if he was just a better orator he wouldn't come off like such a dumbass.

Well said...

he keeps saying the same thing and applying it to the power hitters. he has a thing for contact hitters, but it generally comes down to the same thing...he wants his power hitters to swing.

the people he bitches about in the context of his verbal garbage arent your theriot-types and i dont think dusty's under the illusion that a guy who walks 50 times a year in 600+PA is suddenly gonna become a 100 walk guy cuz he verbally says "hey dude, why dont you lay off that pitch you keep missing, man. it's obvious you're not getting fooled, man, so lay off it."

all that aside...votto is a guy who's bat can do a lot more than scott hatteberg impersonations (with a touch more speed). he does need to expand his offerings, imo.

I just realized that for the first time, Im older than everyone on the Cubs 40 man roster. Damn this sucks.

wrong post...

• Very bizarre game -- as you say, both Cubs pitchers were dominant until the one fatal pitch. It was like watching the Bears defense shut down a team, and then lose on 2 punt returns. Some better hitting with RISP would be a good idea, too.

billybucks 57 min 15 sec ago view
  • Trouble Boys, the Replacements bio, is a great option. I'm sure Chad loved it.

Tito 2 hours 12 min ago view
  • Amen Brick. What's the point of following early-season games if you can't over-react to them? What, we should be reading books now?

• "Weren't the National considered a near lock last year?"

No, I think you're thinking of Radiohead, The 1975, or Bowie's last album.

Although The National's Greatful Dead tribute is pretty cool.

• I don't think they're any kind of lock, though I do expect they'll make the playoffs.

It's not like I'm glad they've gone 4-8. I just don't think it's time to be all that worried -- just like I didn't think they were going to keep playing .730 ball.

Tito 2 hours 43 min ago view
  • vegas isn't a fan of the game because of how erratic and unpredictable it is.

SF has recently won 3 world series many thought they weren't supposed to win...BOS won a world series recently that they weren't even supposed to be in the playoffs for...favored teams with huge wins have seen 1st round exists...fun times.

• I think they'll be ok too. But having watched this team since the mid-60s, I never think it's time to conclude, well, thank god the drought is over. I've seen/heard way too many people who follow the Cubs say glad we're finally going to win the Series this year. Please. Weren't the National considered a near lock last year?

BobbyD 3 hours 2 min ago view
  • Best record in baseball and largest division lead.

I'm jumping right now!

Tito 3 hours 19 min ago view
  • Can we please stop pointing out how ridiculous it is to panic and start panicking in earnest?

Brick 4 hours 43 min ago view
  • ,571 winning percentage in May.

I think they're gonna be OK.

Tito 6 hours 5 min ago view
  • RAISIN: All I know is that Oscar de la Cruz is still shut down, and I don't know what his prognosis is, or what the plan is going forward.

Arizona Phil 8 hours 24 min ago view
  • Remember just two weeks ago, when "all" they had to do was play .500 ball the rest of the season and coast into the playoffs?

BobbyD 8 hours 27 min ago view
  • Well I guess if pitchers can keep working the edges of the plate to perfection it will be a long season. But that doesn't seem likely. Rizzo finally, fully, snapping out of it would help.

• If I didn't believe in coincidences (or science), I would apologize to Gordon Downie--one of my favorites. Sad news about a great talent.

CTSteve 10 hours 40 min ago view
  • Hi Arizona Phil,

Has there been any news on Oscar de la Cruz' health?

Raisin101 17 hours 11 min ago view