I know Dusty's Long Gone But...

Damn....just damn. (emphasis added)

-----------------------------

Dusty Baker wants his hitters to hit. He likes aggressive hitters. He was talking about Joey Votto and finished with this:

“I really, really hate the called third strike. I hate that. You're guess and you ain't ready to hit.”

Does the aggressive stuff go for Adam Dunn, too? “Like I said, I don't like called third strikes. Dunn’s not a kid. He's not old, but he ain't a kid. I bet you he gets better. He's from Texas, right? There’s not a cow in Texas if he don’t get better.”

“He wants to get better. Barry Bonds he always told me Dunn would be one of the best around. Comes to hitting, Barry’s got a pretty good idea.”

On Votto: “He needs to swing some more. I talked to him about that. Strikeouts aren't the only criteria. I'd like to see him more aggressive.”

“A lot of this on-base percentage is taking away the aggressiveness of some young kids. Most of the time you’ve got to put handcuffs on a young to keep him from swinging.”

Comments

Wow.....just hilarious. Dusty? 1987 is calling, and it wants its approach back.

lol... classic!

It's much funnier when it isn't your team.

Now I'm thinking he took the Cincy job specifically because he knew Dunn was from Texas, and we wanted to use that line.

He's become a parody of himself. Funny shit when he's the competition, though!

All I can say is this. Better them than us gentelmen. I can't wait til Cincy Greg or whoever starts lurking here. Asking us what we all think of Dusty.

According to Dusty, yesterdays Cubs game (0 walks by our hitters, 6 walks allowed by our pitchers) should have resulted in a Cubs victory since "walks clog the bases".

Reds fans will be pulling out their hair over hiring the moron long before the all-star break.

dusty wants power hitters to swing the bat...imagine that. shocking news every time he says it...wow. too bad he cant be more elegant about it.

all the "dusty blah blah" aside...votto DOES need to expand his zone. he's a power hitter not taking advantage of his own power. he's also not THAT selective. he dont have a bonds eye or anything. he does have the ability to expand his hitting, though. he's not a pure-pull guy.

right, if he was just a better orator he wouldn't come off like such a dumbass.

Well said...

he keeps saying the same thing and applying it to the power hitters. he has a thing for contact hitters, but it generally comes down to the same thing...he wants his power hitters to swing.

the people he bitches about in the context of his verbal garbage arent your theriot-types and i dont think dusty's under the illusion that a guy who walks 50 times a year in 600+PA is suddenly gonna become a 100 walk guy cuz he verbally says "hey dude, why dont you lay off that pitch you keep missing, man. it's obvious you're not getting fooled, man, so lay off it."

all that aside...votto is a guy who's bat can do a lot more than scott hatteberg impersonations (with a touch more speed). he does need to expand his offerings, imo.

I just realized that for the first time, Im older than everyone on the Cubs 40 man roster. Damn this sucks.

wrong post...

• so...

anyone else ready for the all-star break? =p

it's been a tough past couple weeks...except that reds series. i miss playing the reds. that was cool.

• To take my mind of this latest disaster...wow, I thought baseball money was crazy, but NBA money is now super-wacko crazy. Joakim Noah is 31 with bad knees and absolutely no offensive game. He can't make a layup. The Knicks just agreed to pay him $72M over 4 years. Holy crap.

• "if"?

• Thank you, Jason, for allowing me to get to bed at a decent hour. Very thoughtful.

It will be very interesting to see what Theo does at the deadline. Of course, if Jake doesn't get straightened out, it really doesn't matter. A lot of Jake's comments this year, and his posing for nudie pics in the ESPN magazine, rang some alarm bells -- after one great year (and it was amazingly great), his head has swelled tremendously. Jake, look up the word "hubris", then look in the mirror.

• ...and we're back from the 3rd rain delay.

• at least the cubs have a decent backup of...ummmm....well the minor league system has...uhhh...hmmm.

maybe adam warren can manage to throw less than 100 pitches in 5 innings? no?

well damn.

• Not to worry -- I'm sure Hammel will finish strong in the 2nd half of the season (~sad chuckle, reaches for Scotch bottle~).

• Hammel has had a rather challenging last month. I am hoping post-break that Hendrix gets pushed ahead of him. They'll be lucky to win a game in NY

• hey, alright...cubs losing by 9 and a 3rd rain delay. awesome.

• If baseball does not work out for Patton, I think he's got a future in Civil War re-enactments. He's got a solid Johnny-Reb look to him.

Eric S 7 hours 42 min ago view
  • David Ross - the mound awaits you.

Eric S 7 hours 49 min ago view
  • RIP jason hammel's awesome ERA.

10 ER in 4ip...almost a full point tacked on tonight, alone. 5HR given up tonight. oogly.

• Nimmo certainly does not want to see the Cubs leave town. His first MLB rbi last night and now his first HR.

At least Hammel is eating some innings ... this is the kind of game Peralta should be used if at all.

Eric S 8 hours 1 min ago view
  • OK, the hell with it.

It's July 1 -- Hammel starting to suck right on schedule.

Other than sweeping the Reds -- a bad team actively trying to lose -- this will make 8 losses in 9 games to good teams (Cards, Marlins, Mets). Not good at all.

• Belicheat a consultant for the Red Sox?

Eric S 8 hours 26 min ago view
  • And, so, Jason Hammel decides to test my new resolution right away. Sheesh.

No Wright, no Duda, no Granderson -- no problem for NY. Ugh.