Game 71 Thread / Cubs @ Rays (1 of 3)
|SP||Ryan Dempster||SP||*Scott Kazmir|
|8-2, 2.81, 75 K, 35 BB, 89.2 IP||6-2, 1.74, 54 K, 16 BB, 51.2 IP|
|CF||Reed Johnson||2B||*Akinori Iwamura|
|SS||Ryan Theriot||1B||#Willy Aybar|
|1B||Derrek Lee||CF||BJ Upton|
|3B||Aramis Ramirez||RF||*Eric Hinske|
|DH||Geovany Soto||3B||Evan Longoria|
|RF||Mark DeRosa||DH||*Cliff Floyd|
|LF||Matt Murton||C||#Dionar Navarro|
|C||Henry Blanco||RF||*Gabe Gross|
|2B||Ronny Cedeno||SS||Jason Bartlett|
Matt Murton has been called up and Eric Patterson has been sent down. Welcome back to the Show Orange Guy, and good luck with Scott Kazmir, who has given up all of one run in four home starts this year (thanks nohit). The entire Rays team has been enjoying the comforts of Tampa, Florida with a shiny 26-11 mark at Tropicana Field. That's good for second best in the home record in the American League and has helped catapult them from the worst overall record in the league last year to the current AL Wild Card leaders. Most of that turnaround can be attributed to their pitching and defense and not that sketchy lineup that I'm looking at. But I guess you don't need good hitters if you can "Execute to the Max".
Game notes fun after the jump...
- This is the Cubs first trip to Tropicana Field and marks the 112th stadium they've played in.
- The Cubs enter the game 80-80 in interleague games since its inception in 1997.
- Cubs starters have allowed three or fewer runs in seven straight games.
- Carlos Marmol is five short of the team holds record with 20. Bob Scanlan('93) and Jeff Fassero('01) currently hold the team record with 25.
If Travis' back-to-back-to-back walks cost Hendricks the ERA title, that would really suck.
Edit: "A lifeless loss to a lousy Sox team."
This place is a real downer after a loss to the Sox.
I expect they will go 5-9 games above .500 the rest of the year. 96-98 wins will win the Division.
They should have one more 2-3 week hot streak in them.
- They have one reliable starting pitcher. Jake's magic is gone, and it doesn't look like it's coming back. Lester has been lousy recently. Lackey's ERA goes up every time he pitches.
- Heyward has been dead weight all year. I can't remember a single series where he was a significant offensive contributor. Not one. Great defense, but but if he were hitting .270 with 10 HR and played average defense, the Cubs would be better off.
new rule...no one's allowed to throw k.bryant a changeup
.500 the rest of the way still may win the division though.
...i hate espn.
oh, at least they're doing split screen now...i guess.
I'm liking this rookie Nathan.
Richard DFA'd. Meh...
Throwbacks with fashionable cutouts would be a nice touch.
If it was 1 night later, Chapman would be out there and we probably would be going to extras.
I'm with you, Rob. You pretty much summed up how I feel about it.