Game 71 Thread / Cubs @ Rays (1 of 3)
|SP||Ryan Dempster||SP||*Scott Kazmir|
|8-2, 2.81, 75 K, 35 BB, 89.2 IP||6-2, 1.74, 54 K, 16 BB, 51.2 IP|
|CF||Reed Johnson||2B||*Akinori Iwamura|
|SS||Ryan Theriot||1B||#Willy Aybar|
|1B||Derrek Lee||CF||BJ Upton|
|3B||Aramis Ramirez||RF||*Eric Hinske|
|DH||Geovany Soto||3B||Evan Longoria|
|RF||Mark DeRosa||DH||*Cliff Floyd|
|LF||Matt Murton||C||#Dionar Navarro|
|C||Henry Blanco||RF||*Gabe Gross|
|2B||Ronny Cedeno||SS||Jason Bartlett|
Matt Murton has been called up and Eric Patterson has been sent down. Welcome back to the Show Orange Guy, and good luck with Scott Kazmir, who has given up all of one run in four home starts this year (thanks nohit). The entire Rays team has been enjoying the comforts of Tampa, Florida with a shiny 26-11 mark at Tropicana Field. That's good for second best in the home record in the American League and has helped catapult them from the worst overall record in the league last year to the current AL Wild Card leaders. Most of that turnaround can be attributed to their pitching and defense and not that sketchy lineup that I'm looking at. But I guess you don't need good hitters if you can "Execute to the Max".
Game notes fun after the jump...
- This is the Cubs first trip to Tropicana Field and marks the 112th stadium they've played in.
- The Cubs enter the game 80-80 in interleague games since its inception in 1997.
- Cubs starters have allowed three or fewer runs in seven straight games.
- Carlos Marmol is five short of the team holds record with 20. Bob Scanlan('93) and Jeff Fassero('01) currently hold the team record with 25.
video of Maddon.
I'm sure some luck is involved too, but the Cubs and Maddon knew what they were doing.
If all the starters have FIP > ERA, is that luck or good defense?
#Cubs plummet to 19-5 in August.
Fun with FIP
- J. Hammel 3.07 ERA/4.27 FIP (3.68 FIP last year)
- J. Arrieta 2.62 ERA/3.05 FIP (2.35 FIP last year)
- J. Lester 2.81 ERA/3.67 FIP (2.92 FIP last year)
- K. Hendricks 2.19 ERA/3.37 FIP (3.36 FIP last year)
- J. Lackey 3.41 ERA/3.72 FIP (3.57 FIP last year with Cards)
zastyryzryzryzny put in 3.2ip 1h 0bb 3k
JD's take was just trying to get in a lefty to better deal with mostly lefty Dodgers lineup.
Maybe he was trying to spare him another brutal road start? NY, Colorado...
joe got a pitcher up for hammel at nearly the 1st sign of trouble in the 3rd...pulled after 2.1
not injured and though it wasn't his day so far he wasn't looking like a pure disaster.
really short leash on him. zastryznzryzryny in.
Classic Scully - great stuff.
Thank God we'll still have Hawk next season. (cricket cricket cricket)
Here's Scully's call on Bryant's 10th-inning homer:
"And it's a long fly ball, a mean fly ball, and a gone fly ball."
When the Cubs were the old, hundred-year Cubs, one bad hop did not undo their opponents.
If only he was clutcher. More clutcher.
cubs win...bryant with 7HR in his last 8 games.