Fukudome to Bat Leadoff

One of our trusted readers tells us that he heard on WGN radio that Lou Piniella has decided to bat Kosuke Fukudome leadoff until Alfonso Soriano is back...or until Lou changes his mind again. I would assume that Jim Edmonds would get the bulk of the work at the five spot from now on, at least versus righties.

I also wanted to share this story that another reader found via the Sun-Times:

Mark DeRosa interrupted Matt Murton's back-in-the-big-leagues news conference Tuesday with the question most people want the answer to:

''Will you stop hitting swinging bunts and start driving balls out
of the ballpark with your quads the size of bricks?'' DeRosa said,
grinning. ''Let's ask the real questions. You going to hit some home
runs?''

Replied Murton: ''Why not?''

That's the even bigger question -- the one probably most responsible for keeping Murton in the minors longer than expected.

That is the million dollar question with Murton, now isn't it?

Comments

I've always wanted the kid to succeed (what Cub fan wouldn't?), but unfortunately he's going to have to step up now or never. Does he have to start hitting 300 and putting some balls in the seats? Perhaps not immediately, but you cannot have a below - average defender in that position if he doesn't.

I love this website.

Will Murt still lose playing time to Reed Johnson if Fukudome is batting leadoff? I sure hope not.

Ronny Cedeno's stats, last 30 days:

Here are his stats, for the last 28 days:

.194 .216 .222 .438
BA OBP OPS SLG

BLECH!

Of course... it might be relevant to mention that he has only had about 40 plate appearances over the last 30 days.

of course. of course, it is the MLB, and in Lou's world, you produce if you want to play.

Hoot! There it is! Fukudome leading off. Here's hoping it works out better for Lou than Bruce (the formerly) Almighty has for Dustbag.

FUKUDOME
THERIOT
LEE
RAMIREZ
EDOMONDS
SOTO
DEROSA
HOFFPAUIR (DH)
CEDENO

(click on the gameday tab)

Good lineup, Lou. That'll work. Tough to find a good 9 hitter if you put Murton and left and play DeRosa at 2nd. Could just give DeRosa the night off and still hit Ronny 9th, I guess.

EDIT: The more I think about it, I guess DeRosa isn't a terrible 9 hitter. Gets on base in front of the leadoff guys. Would like some speed out of the 9 hole, though. Not to sound like Dusty or anything.

Listening to Lou - Reed out 'til Friday the earliest.

Fucked his back up on that last play - the failed bunt.

Oh - also, Dome will be leading off against LH & RH hitters.

the Rays are for real. Their pitching staff reminds me of the 2003 Cubs.

Win one, and its another .500 road trip.

Crisp rumors shot down, hopefully that's true.

The Crisp rumors came from Sullivan at the Trib, not the SunTimes, so how are they shot down?

Don't answer that.

• J-Hey not finishing with an offensive onslaught.

If Geoff Blum could be a Playoff hero, there is hope still...

The E-Man 1 hour 46 min ago view
  • Giants scare me. I think you're wrong about Bumgarner, he would pitch on short rest for Game 2 and then full rest for Game 5. Cueto would go Game 1, then short rest in game 4. Add in some really tough outs in that lineup and I want nothing to do with them. With that rotation they can easily steal a series.

Cards are a tough matchup. The rivalry evens out their comparable lack of talent. And like someone said, they love HRs, which is how to beat the Cubs. The upside is that I would feel really good about Lester twice against STL.

John Beasley 2 hours 32 min ago view
  • j.buchanan with a nice start...5ip 2h 1bb 3k, 0r/er

zobrist with 2HR and a double through 8

heyward 0-4 :(

• Mark Gonzales @MDGonzales

Soler likely to return Sunday, Maddon says

• Right now, I'd like to see the Mets first, Giants 2nd.

I believe that since most of the team from last years' NLCS is on the squad this year, they will really amp their game up even more to kick their ass in payback for 2015.

The Giants just do not have the depth in years past, and I think all things equal - and at Wrigley - they could handle them.

I do not want to see the Cards, period. Or their fans, media, or Joe Buck.

• I don't want to play Braves in the first round. Any friggin team in the league can win 3 of 5..I hate the first round. Furthermore, I wanted to play the Marlins in 2003 and the Mets over Dodgers last year.

With that said in reverse order:
    3. Cardinals: It will be devastating to lose in the first round, but even worse to their main rival. It is increased incentive for the Cardinals, especially after last year. Cards would have nothing to lose, Cubs have everything to lose.

2. Giants: Rotation in the playoffs scare me a bit, but what a lousy team.

blockhead25 18 hours 12 min ago view
  • 1. Mets--because of the losses in the rotation
    2. Giants--because they're not the team they were BUT they maybe have bullshit even-year magic?
    3. Cardinals--because rivalry and not making the playoffs hurts them more than losing in the NLDS plus getting eliminated by them in the playoffs would make for horrible sports commentary next throughout next season.

• Who's asking?

jacos 19 hours 58 min ago view
  • #TeamEntropy

CLE/DET rained out last night already, possible rain-outs in New York (vs. Baltimore), Boston(vs. Toronto) and Philly(vs. Mets) this weekend too.

Not only games involving playoff spots that would need to be played, but any that involve home field advantage.

• I got the first one! Second one I'm not even sure what even/odd betting is.

• any opponent preference for NLDS?

Mets are down to 1 great pitcher instead of 4. Syndegaard may pitch Sunday which means if Mets win the WC game, he'd be set up for Game 1. There's a chance they clinch a spot by Sunday so he'd pitch the WC and then we'd probably get Colon for Game 1. They've certainly had the hottest bats over the last week and month out of the WC options.

• Rob Richardson 1 day 2 hours ago view
  • Can't teach height and thinness

jacos 1 day 4 hours ago view
  • Hopefully Pirates don't call up A. Lincoln.

jacos 1 day 13 hours ago view
  • j.buchanan going friday...should be...baseball...or something like it.

crunch 1 day 13 hours ago view
  • Wow. I didn't know they could do that.

Nice for Willson, not so much for Addy.

billybucks 1 day 14 hours ago view