• Rick Renteria was a great idea! Seriously! I feel bad for the guy, although it happened the way it had to.

John Beasley 3 hours 43 min ago
  • Hey, whatta bout me?

-Ian Stewart

Cubster 4 hours 35 min ago
  • ....and Theo thought EJax, Sveum and Ricky were good ideas. Win some, lose some.

billybucks 4 hours 56 min ago
  • I thought he was better than Archer?

/f u Hendry

jacos 5 hours 3 min ago
  • The Padres signed RHP Trey McNutt to a minor league contract...

QuietMan 6 hours 3 min ago
  • Yeah, she's a good egg. The whole superdelegate thing is shady as fuck though.

Newport 18 hours 44 min ago
  • the perks of being a big fundraiser model representative citizen.

honestly, though...the dnc could do worse and she's involved in all kinds of dem party stuff.

crunch 19 hours 33 min ago
  • I didn't realize Laura Ricketts is a superdelegate.

Newport 19 hours 37 min ago
  • pretty much...also agree that it wouldn't surprise me to see him land with the cubs, too.

the trade to free up room for him would be interesting.

it would help if he didn't play such a mixed-bag CF. he's anything but sure out there with his wacky routes.

the O's are favored because of links for weeks and they're about to land y.gallardo (giving up that draft pick).

crunch 22 hours 51 min ago
  • holy crap...j.mejia got busted AGAIN for PEDs.

3rd time...lifetime ban.

at one point he was the "closer of the future" (and the actual closer) for the mets. 26 years old. unreal.

crunch 22 hours 54 min ago
  • I agree with what you said, but isn't it so weird that the White Sox are not linked to Fowler? They seem like an ideal fit.

John Beasley 22 hours 57 min ago
  • oddly...or not...fowler's been strongly linked to the O's lately.

crunch 22 hours 59 min ago
  • Olmos takes another 40 man roster Roulette bullet. The new lefty will be gone when Fowler comes back.

Cubster 23 hours 15 min ago
  • seen him in the minors...rather boring lefty. really slow secondary stuff (very slow slider) and a fastball that barely hits 90 on a good day.

crunch 23 hours 18 min ago
  • The Cubs have claimed C.J. Riefenhauser LHP on waivers from the Orioles. Edgar Olmos was again DFA.

Hagsag 23 hours 26 min ago
  • They should have someone standing behind him to take the ball out of his glove when he's looking for a sign from the catcher, and throw to first. I vote for Baez. That way he can cover the rest of the infield, too.

Old and Blue 1 day 1 hour ago
  • but then d.ross wouldn't have someone to pitch around him or IBB him to put him on base...it's almost moot...almost...not really...but almost...kinda...

just checked...7 IBB last year...hard to tell how many times he was pitched around, but even assuming it's 0 that brings his ob% to below .230 with a sub-.500 OPS.

crunch 1 day 1 hour ago
  • the intro to the all-star game would take an hour longer just to announce the team...awesome.

crunch 1 day 2 hours ago
  • Think how much more valuable Lester contract looks if he doesn't ever have to do that mockery of hitting thing he does!

johann 1 day 2 hours ago
  • TV schedule is out:

It's irritating that it's so difficult to watch Cub games.

Ryno 1 day 5 hours ago
  • The NL should just go ahead and out-DH the AL.

If one DH is good, then 9 DH's would be even better. Expand rosters (union would love that) and have 9 hitting specialists, 9 fielding specialists. Who needs well rounded players when the game is supposedly so much better with narrowly defined specialists. There are all of these slick fielding players we never see because they can't hit a lick but instead we have to watch Schwarber in LF tackling fly balls. Think of all the time these amazing fielders spend trying to learn to hit when they could just be focusing on fielding. Players are wasting so much time developing all 5 tools when they could just be maxing out 1 or 2 tools. I see your one DH and raise you 8 more!

Sonicwind75 1 day 5 hours ago
  • Yes, you could say that AL baseball saps the purity and essence from the natural fluids of baseball. The double-switching, bunting, and lineup strategy is part of what makes the NL interesting, but clubs spend too much money on pitchers. They won't want them getting hurt running out a bunt. MLB also has an interest in doing what they can to improve offense in the post-ped, defensive analytics era.

Ryno 1 day 6 hours ago
  • ~clap~

jacos 1 day 9 hours ago
  • Couldn't have played for Dusty then.

Jackstraw 1 day 9 hours ago
  • i hate the DH...i find it boring...but i accept it's gonna happen. it seems inevitable at this point given shifting attitudes and lack of strong player objection.

having that "dead spot" for the pitcher hitting opens up a lot of lineup strategy possibilities. i'm in the camp that appreciates more out of the game than "pitcher pitches/hitter hits/defense defends." besides, who wants to live in a world where randy johnson doesn't get to comically swing a bat and bartolo colon doesn't get to run the bases? that's not a world i want to live in.

crunch 1 day 18 hours ago
  • Yeah. I guess. But it's weird to watch an AL game, with a team down, say, 2-1 in the 7th inning, with the #9 (or, for Maddon, #8) spot coming up with a man on first.....and the manager just sits there.

billybucks 1 day 18 hours ago
  • "Mein Fuher, I can walk!!!"

jacos 1 day 21 hours ago
  • AGREED!

John Beasley 1 day 22 hours ago
  • "He may look exactly the same, but, he's just so--firm."

Charlie 1 day 23 hours ago
  • I can't wait for the first, "Kyle Schwarber showed up in great shape," spring training report.

matthewcooksie 2 days 2 hours ago
  • I agree about staying in Covington. GAB is a great place to see a ball game. Whenever I visit GAB, unless I'm with my kids/wife, I always make a trip to O'Malley's Pub downtown Cincy.

Ryno 2 days 5 hours ago
  • watching philippines vs australia for 2017 WBC qualifier. clay rapada (remember him?) is pitching for the philippines (badly).

woo, WBC early pool madness! i can't wait to see pakistan play.

crunch 2 days 10 hours ago
  • If anyone still does fantasy baseball, I have a team open in my 14-team 5x5 keeper league. We have a modest ante of $20. It's a pretty active group.

CTSteve 2 days 17 hours ago
  • I stayed at the Marriott last time. Very nice.

John Beasley 3 days 55 min ago
  • The best hotels and bars are just across the river in Covington. Sit third base side of you can.

John Beasley 3 days 1 hour ago
  • RHRP Blake Cooper has retired.

The 27-year old Cooper was acquired from the Arizona Diamondbacks in August 2014  in exchange for 2009 Cubs 1st round draft pick OF Brett Jackson. Cooper spent the 2015 season at AAA Iowa, where he worked out of the bullpen as the I-Cubs primary set-up man.

Cooper was eligible to be a Rule 55 minor league 6YFA post-2016, but by retiiring he remains under control of the Cubs (and one season short of being eligible to be a 6YFA) if he changes his mind sometime in the future and returns to baseball.

Arizona Phil 3 days 2 hours ago
  • So long as he is in the best shape of his life I'm sure everything will be fine.

Rob Richardson 3 days 3 hours ago
  • Hey, Rokfish --

I got no advice about visiting the GAB but it's good to see your name pop up here again!

JoePepitone 3 days 3 hours ago
  • Has anyone been to the Great American Ballpark?
    Have any advice or a hotel close to ballpark they have stayed at?

Rokfish

rokfish 3 days 4 hours ago
  • I found it on BuzzKill

Cubster 3 days 4 hours ago
  • I read on BuzzFeed that Soler has been doing batting practice in Alaska. Little did he know that it is summer in Alaska this winter.

Oh, btw, don't google that BuzzFeed thing for verification. You won't find it.

Old and Blue 3 days 6 hours ago
  • I don't entirely disagree though I think he's talented enough to handle it. But I imagine that's another thing they'll analyze before deciding on trades.

Knowing Madden though it won't be something we'll have to wait too long to see.

johann 3 days 6 hours ago
  • I'm still skeptical about Baez in CF. I love the idea of it, and I certainly think he has enough speed, the reflexes, and the aggressive mindset to be a good CFer, but I'll take it for granted only after I see him play the position effectively.

Charlie 3 days 21 hours ago
  • I'd honestly be surprised if they traded Soler. Because of his injury risk and cold weather issues I think he'd be undervalued on the trade market in terms of what he could bring in vs his potential value to the team.

With him on the team the roster is actually in a pretty good spot right now to deal with potential injuries or cold weather struggles with Heyward sliding over and potentially Baez in CF. if he stays healthy he showed through several stretches a combination of power and strike zone command which would be valuable on a swing and miss team. Also if he can just somewhat better on routes his arm strength gives him the potential to be a dangerous right fielder.

I'm just doubtful anything we got back for him would give us that sort of ceiling. At the very least I think if a trade does happen it'll happen once they've had a chance to see how Heyward and Soler do during the season.

johann 3 days 23 hours ago
    95 Chad Noble, BULLPEN CATCHER
    96 Jim Brower, INSTRUCTOR
    97 Tim Cossins, INSTRUCTOR
    98 Terry Clark, INSTRUCTOR
    99 OPEN

Arizona Phil 4 days 13 min ago
  • Thanks, Phil! I think we (my son and I) will try this on Thursday...Cheers!

Jace 4 days 27 min ago
  • JACE: The early arrivals will be working out on the backfields located west of the main stadium. You don't need a pass if the gates are unlocked, but even if the gates are locked you can watch the workouts on Field #1 & Field #2 from outside the fence.

I don't know how many players will be there this week, but the players are usually out on the fields from about 10 AM  to 1 PM during Spring Training. Since the workouts are somewhat informal prior to the official reporting date, the players who do arrive early can pretty much set their own schedules (based upon the availability of the coaches & instructors).

Arizona Phil 4 days 44 min ago
  • AZ PHIL - I am going to be in Phoenix from Thursday (Feb 11) through Monday (Feb 15). If I am able to break free and make it to the Cubs Facility, will there be anything to see? Would I need some sort of pass to be able to see anything? Is there a set time when those who are there early work out?
    Thanks!

Jace 4 days 6 hours ago
  • Thanks AZ Phil. That is exactly the detailed answer I was hoping for, fantastic.

Cubster 4 days 17 hours ago
  • thanks. that's a great start with 2 notices from heyward + theo.

crunch 4 days 18 hours ago

• Hey, whatta bout me?

-Ian Stewart

• I thought he was better than Archer?

/f u Hendry

• The Padres signed RHP Trey McNutt to a minor league contract...

• the perks of being a big fundraiser model representative citizen.

• I didn't realize Laura Ricketts is a superdelegate.

the trade to free up room for him would be interesting.

• holy crap...j.mejia got busted AGAIN for PEDs.

3rd time...lifetime ban.

• oddly...or not...fowler's been strongly linked to the O's lately.