• Benching Baez to play Watkins is just flat-out silly. I think there is some overvaluing Watkins's scrap going on here the last few days.

Let's not forget that Watkins was striking out 20.9% of the time in AAA and doesn't bring the pop to compensate for it. I used to hope he'd be a good OBP guy, but he's not going to have a high enough batting average with that K rate for his walks to make up for his other shortcomings.

Author: Charlie
    6 min 23 sec ago
  • I am intrigued about Alcantara. He really got on top of that home run last night and tomahawked it out.

Right now he has struggled on offense to a 228/285/374 line and has not looked super comfortable on defense in CF either. But through 42 games (187 PAs) he has 39 H, 8 2B, 5 HR, and 7 SB, and has a bWAR of 1.3 and an fWAR of 1.0.

That would be a 4.0 WAR season with about 30 doubles, 20 home runs, and 25-30 stolen bases, and I would expect he will improve some after adjusting to the league (though of course that's not a given). And with his positional versatility, should be a nice guy to have the next few years.

Author: WISCGRAD
    2 hours 6 min ago
  • yeah, bringing him up to majors to truly expose his flaws is usually not ideal...

that being said, baseball people aren't stupid, nothing he's showing now wasn't obvious before. But I do believe he'd be the Cubs choice to move among Castro, Baez, Russell if it came to one of them.

Author: Rob G.
    8 hours 28 min ago
  • Good point.

Author: Carlito
    9 hours 58 min ago
  • Something kinda cool going on in San Francisco.

Author: Carlito
    9 hours 58 min ago
    ---
    I think the I-Cubs elimination number started tonight at 3. So there isn't much AAA left to return to.

Author: Cubster
    10 hours 4 min ago
    ---
    "It's 106 miles to Chicago//we have a full tank of gas//half a packet of cigarettes// it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses... HIT IT!"

Author: Cubster
    10 hours 10 min ago
  • Russell pinch hit single tonight. I'm sure he's fine ... but weird he's been in bench a couple days here.

Author: Carlito
    10 hours 17 min ago
  • I'm sure you're half joking but if we were serious about trying to win, you gotta move Baez outta the 2 slot - or maybe even send him back to AAA and play Watkins. Also I think we're gonna see Doubront and Turner a bit - and I think they are gonna have to work out some kinks. That was the best Wood has looked in a while.

Author: Carlito
    10 hours 23 min ago
  • gregory.

Author: crunch
    10 hours 43 min ago
  • Four in a row, Soler coming up, the young guns in the 'pen on a roll, EJax out of the rotation...remember the Rockies of '07!

Author: billybucks
    10 hours 48 min ago
  • Holly/Kap on Comcast post game say Rizzo was pulled as a precautionary measure for lower back tightness.

Oakland vs Houston. Hammel pitches 7 innings of 1 run ball. Leaves leading 2-1. Gregerson comes in and blows the lead. A's lose 4-2. Cubbery?

Author: Cubster
    10 hours 54 min ago
  • well, there goes the post-season chances.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
    hahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahaha
    hahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhaha

...yeah.

Author: crunch
    11 hours 18 min ago
  • Rizzo hurt in last at bat, looks like back

Author: jacos
    11 hours 26 min ago
  • Double switch with Rizzo in the 8th.

Huh?

Author: jacos
    11 hours 29 min ago
  • 86ab 40k...yow.

he's brought the power and some decent, though not spectacular D so far.

Author: crunch
    11 hours 32 min ago
  • I get the theory, and I personally have a better feeling about Russell than Baez. I'm just saying he might have been more impressive as a trade commodity if he was dominating at AAA and not getting a golden sombrero every other night in the majors?

Author: Carlito
    11 hours 33 min ago
  • Sombrero in 4AB. See if he gets a 5th AB.

Author: Carlito
    11 hours 36 min ago
  • they brought him up when they got russell.

Author: jacos
    11 hours 55 min ago
  • Wouldn't they just leave him to dominate in AAA? I'm not sure - just that he's actually not looking like a world beater at MLB level.

Author: Carlito
    12 hours 2 min ago
  • Baez is being showcased for a trade in off season.

/you heard it hear first

Author: jacos
    12 hours 9 min ago
  • 3 K's in 3 AB's for Baez...

Author: Rob G.
    12 hours 14 min ago
  • The crowd does seem shockingly small.

Author: Rob Richardson
    12 hours 57 min ago
  • Addison Russell not in the lineup again tonight. Hmmm. Based on his announced AFL news I'm guessing there's nothing major wrong with him. Did he really have a splint on his hand/finger last night?

Author: Carlito
    13 hours 34 min ago
  • Damn good point you make.

Author: Carlito
    13 hours 40 min ago
  • And the crowd -- all 5 people -- goes wild.

Author: billybucks
    13 hours 51 min ago
  • 5 batters in and a rain delay...that's lame. Sucks to lose a Cueto start

Rizzo HR that probably won't count

Author: Rob G.
    14 hours 3 min ago
  • Rain delay in the top if the 1st??? Why would the Reds put Cueto through that? I thought the home team controlled the game until the game actually starts.

Author: billybucks
    14 hours 6 min ago
  • Cubs probably don't want him making his MLB debut against Cueto.

Author: billybucks
    14 hours 14 min ago
  • Oh, right. I wasn't disagreeing with the argument that Manny probably didn't change things much. I a pretty sure Soler has raked whenever he's been healthy enough to play.

Author: Old and Blue
    14 hours 20 min ago
  • but those were all around there before Manny showed up I believe...

Author: Rob G.
    14 hours 32 min ago
  • Soler has a .383 OBP and strikes out 17% of the time. So those are better numbers from a pure hitting standpoint by a not unsubstantial margin. A lot I've read has said he may be the best prospect of the bunch. I don't think it matters too much. Cubs are pretty loaded and can afford to see a prospect or two fail. But I kinda hope it isn't him because they need outfielders and his numbers are pretty good. Totally agree about Manny not taking ABs from anyone but I wouldn't mind him up there as a mascot.

Author: Old and Blue
    15 hours 15 min ago
  • I'm a little surprised Vogelbach and not Schwarber. I thought he was being super-fast-tracked, a la Bryant. And I forgot about Zach Cates completely.

So, does Olt go play winter ball somewhere once his hamstring heals?

Author: Charlie
    15 hours 58 min ago
  • Concepcion??!! Wow.

So Russell is fine?

Author: Carlito
    16 hours 26 min ago
  • AFL 7

A. Russell, D. Vogelbach, J. Hannemann, I. Pineyero, G. Concepcion, CJ Edwards, Z Cates.

Author: Rob G.
    16 hours 29 min ago
  • I demand that Soler plays today.

Author: Carlito
    18 hours 3 min ago
  • If you're wondering how the Cubs might manage their MLB 40-man roster in September if they bring up both Manny Ramirez and a third catcher, there is one slot open now, and the Cubs could open one or even two more by recalling Mike Olt and/or Josh Vitters from their Optional Assignments and place one or both on the MLB 60-day DL (Olt is on the Iowa 7-day DL with a hamstring injury, and Vitters is on the I-Cubs 7-day DL with a broken finger).

If Vitters is healthy enough to be reinstated from the Iowa DL, he could be Designated for Assignment and then placed on Outright Assignment Waivers, but that's only if he is healthy enough to be reinstated. Otherwise he would have to be given his Outright Release.

That's presuming the Cubs don't make any trades by the 8/31 post-season roster eligibility deadline (11:59 PM EDT this coming Sunday). I think it's 50-50 that Carlos Villanueva will get traded by the 8/31 deadline, since he will be an Article XX-B FA post-2014 anyway. Same goes for Kyuji Fujikawa if he proves he's durable enough to be of use to a contending club in September.

As for the third catcher, I had thought that it would probably be Rafael Lopez (who will be eligible for selection in the Rule 5 Draft post-2014), but now I think the Cubs might want to send him to the AFL and see how he performs there before making a final decision on whether to add him to the 40-man roster. So Eli Whiteside could very well get called up to be the third catcher in September, although he would get dropped from the 40 after the season.

Author: Arizona Phil
    18 hours 55 min ago
  • Just as an aside for those of you who haven't seen Manny Ramirez lately and remember him with the long dreds he wore in L. A, he had a Mohawk haircut when he was at Riverview Park in June, and so some of the players got a "Mohawk," too. It all fits into the "We Can Do Whatever the Fuck We Want" Cub mantra for 2015.

Author: Arizona Phil
    19 hours 12 min ago
  • Manny is a fun guy, Baez and Soler seem to be the same guys with the same numbers  and the same strengths and weaknesses since his arrival. I'm sure guys like being around him and having fun helps a lot. But what has changed in any of these guys since his arrival? Baez always started slow at every level and got going. Teams cannot afford a mascot on their 40-man.

That being said, Cubs can do a lot whacky things this last month if they want. It would be fun to watch, but he shouldn't be taking AB's from anyone.

Author: Rob G.
    19 hours 22 min ago
  • RYNO: Part of being a coach is that you are a supervisor, you give orders, you get players to comply with The Program. you write reports. Manny Ramirez just doesn't do that.

When ManRam was at Riverview Park in June, I never once saw him go up to a player and dispense advice. He either led by example, or the player came to him. He was like a guru, and guru's do not come to you, you go to them.

Author: Arizona Phil
    19 hours 26 min ago
  • That's all fine and dandy, but he is 42, hasn't hit anything at the big league level since 2010, has all of 71 games played in the minors over the last 3 seasons combined, and is hitting only .222 at AAA, so the idea of him stepping in cold in September and "showing them how its done" is hard to imagine.

You may be right and stranger shit has happened, but I'm going on the record of saying this won't happen.

Author: WISCGRAD
    19 hours 39 min ago
  • tomorrow

Author: jacos
    19 hours 41 min ago
  • Agree. Still, I think he's probably eventually going to end up at Wrigley and not as a player.

Author: Ryno
    19 hours 48 min ago
  • I watched Manny Ramirez at Riverview Park the entire month of June, taking BP and playing in games with Jorge Soler (who was there rehabbing), Eloy Jimenez, Gleyber Torres, and the other Cub youngsters who were there, and the kids hung on his every word and they all tried to sit around him on the bench during games. He was a magnet to the young players.

While Ramirez may have little if any influence on Eli Whiteside or Jonathon Mota, his influence on Soler and Baez (in particular) has absolutely not been over-exaggerated.

Author: Arizona Phil
    19 hours 48 min ago
  • That's why I'm boycotting tonight's game. And only tonight's game.

Author: Charlie
    19 hours 51 min ago
  • When Manny Ramirez hit the tape-measure HR at Papago Park versus the A's the last week of Extended Spring Training, the EXST Cubs players mobbed him at home plate like he just hit a walk-off HR in the 7th game of the Wrorld Series.

The young Cubs players who view ManRam as a mentor don't just want to talk with him about hitting, they want to watch him hit in games. He needs to show them how to take a slider to the opposite field in a real game, not explain it theoretically in BP.

So I believe the Cubs will select the contract of Manny Ramirez from Iowa on or about 9/2 and then he will be on the Cubs Active Roster in September, where in addition to serving as a mentor to Baez, Soler, Alcantara, Lake, et al, he will also get a few PA in games as a DH (three-game series in TOR 9/8-9/10) and PH.

And I would not be surprised if the Cubs sign Ramirez to a 2015 minor league contract with an NRI to Spring Training.

There is a different relationship between players than there is between players and coaches. Even coaches who are well-liked are still seen as part of management, while a player-mentor is just another one of the guys. The young Cub players view Manny Ramirez as a big brother, not Big Brother.

Author: Arizona Phil
    19 hours 55 min ago
  • No Soler in lineup tonight

~shrug~

Author: Rob G.
    19 hours 59 min ago
  • I view Manny in the same light as Thom Brennaman views Time Tebow

Author: jacos
    20 hours 1 min ago
  • I know Manny is a fun guy to be around, but his influence is being grossly overexaggerated at this point.

Author: Rob G.
    20 hours 12 min ago
  • What in the world makes you think they will do that?

Author: WISCGRAD