• "I'll be more patient (at the plate) when I come back," Baez said.

bwhahahahahaha. oh man. wow. hahaha. phew...wow.

okay dude.

i wonder how much of that back pain is from his hacks... he actually has a good number of swings where his momentum takes his back foot off the ground (and still manages to put the ball over a fence).

Author: crunch
    3 hours 52 min ago
  • Javier Baez rolled his ankle last Friday... "I thought it was broken," Baez said...Baez suffered the injury at Memphis while fielding ground balls during batting practice. "I jumped a little bit to throw the ball and when I landed, it was kind of like a hole or something (there)," Baez said. The 21-year-old said after rolling the ankle, he braced for the worst. "I thought I was done," he said...Despite being eligible to come off the disabled list this Friday, Pevey said Baez could be out five to seven days...Baez had been dealing with back issues before the team went to Memphis, but he said Tuesday those have dissipated..."It's great," Baez said.
    He added that he expects big things upon his return. "I'll be more patient (at the plate) when I come back," Baez said.

Author: QuietMan
    4 hours 46 min ago
  • I may not be as Old or Blue as Old & Blue (maybe approaching this)...but I marvel at the Tampa Rays.

They don't spend - except wisely, have an incredible scouting and development machine - and a fucking smart MLB Manager - and when they sucked, they sucked ass for long enough to make their draft choices really count.

However, much of their foundation building came before the latest CBA.

It is plainly obvious (and we have been discussing such here for a couple years) Theo did not know the double shit-storms he got himself into of the finances, and bereft farm system.

It seems as if this front office is infinitely more prepared to build a strong organization than at anytime I can remember since Dallas Green.

But the Cubs are SO far the Cardinals (for over 50 years, in fact) that I just don't know how much of a dent they are going to make in the years to come.

In the short term - I just am not as optimistic as I once was.

All told - it is just such a fucking mess...

Author: The E-Man
    10 hours 28 min ago
  • It's hard to get a real gauge on this ownership. They seem committed in many ways, and it's not really sensible to complain about their lack of making an impact in an insane free agent market. The real test is wins and losses for me as a fan. So far, that hasn't gone well at all under this ownership.

Author: Old and Blue
    11 hours 47 min ago
  • setting up for 5 seasons in a row of getting top-tier draft picks (2011-2015 draft classes) along with the recent slew of trading away the roster + signing then trading almost everyone they get on 1-2 year contracts goes a long way in collecting youth.

it'd be hard to not screw that up. the downside is sitting through this many years of trash, though...especially considering the 2010 season preceding all of this was a crap season, too.

2007 and 2008 seem so far away. that was fun...until the LDS.

Author: crunch
    12 hours 4 min ago
  • "O&B is mixing mediocrity with shittiness. "

I'm not mixing them up at all. The Cubs have had both, in abundance. They've never had greatness. Just shittiness, mediocrity, and shitty mediocrity.

When Theo changes that, and I'm at least thinking there's a 50% chance he will, I'll be the first to praise him. He has stuff going against him (see comments on ownership by others) that aren 't going to help him at all.

We shall see. I'm a Cubs fan and their history justifies my skepticism. It has nothing to do with Theo, really.

Author: Old and Blue
    12 hours 13 min ago
  • One thing that is always overlooked when complaining about Cub mediocrity is ownership. Without good ownership, a team will languish. The Cub's ownership history is indicative of the won-loss record posted by Cubs' teams over the past many decades. Mr. Wrigley was not an owner that wanted to spend too much to procure or develop players to win consistently. This was no secret. The Tribune Company was most happy with bottom-dollar profits - Harry Carey being the best acquisition they ever made. Again, this was no secret. The worst owner also was the least tenured, Sam Zell. He is the current culprit of the wreckage currently seen at Wrigley Field. He instructed Hendry to sign players at top dollar (or beyond) to create a quick fix at the ML level, while staving player development all to enhance his desire to flip the Cubs at the best price. Then, as a poison pill, he saddles the Ricketts with unnecessary structured debt to close the deal all for his fat wallet, unrepentant to the long-term costs to Ricketts' ownership and success.

For all the belly-aching we fans lament about players and management, the real "suck" for Cubs fans is the history of ownership. Although the jury is still out on Ricketts ownership, I see a different level of commitment from this group. I have suffered decades of being a Cubs fan (why didn't mom move to Hawaii when she had a chance before I was born) and I am hardened to the current dread that plays 9 innings everyday for 6 months and calls it major league. I will be patient and wait for another "plan" to unfold. In those many years of disappoint, there has not been a management team like the current. I don't think success will happen until our core "kids" have played 2-3 years at Wrigley. But, I do believe success will come, with or without the kids. Jed/Theo/Jason will find away to turn the Cubs into consistent winners.

If it doesn't happen, I will most likely have passed on like the rest of the cub hopefuls.

Author: videographer
    17 hours 43 min ago
  • TOONSTER: When Marco Hernandez first arrived at Fitch Park (Instructs 2010) as an 18-year old he had good range at SS, but he threw sidearm (sort of the "sidearm sling" second-basemen use) and so his throws would sometimes bounce to 1st. He also was a switch-hitter back then, and he just could not hit with any authority RH. But then he changed his arm slot and stopped switch-hitting, and his two main problems disappeared overnight and he had an outstanding 2011 season with the AZL Cubs.

Carlos Penalver has plus-range, plus-arm, and plus-speed (all three superior to Hernandez) and I think he will eventually be a better hitter and base-runner than Hernandez, too. He does have a tendency to play "too fast," however, and that's when he makes mistakes (as he did in Minor League Camp this year). He's kind of like a point guard who sometimes tries to make the low-percentage pass or a defensive back who gambles for an interception but ends up getting burned and giving up an easy score.

I saw Gleyber Torres at Instructs last year (when he was 16) and he struggled offensively, but you could see his superior athleticism defensively in infield drills (where you can gauge a player's range, arm strength, and sure-handedness). The key of couse is to play the same way in games as you do in infield practice (some guys can't), and up until yesterday Torres was not only capable of making the impossible WTF? play, but he also played with a steadiness and poise you don't see very often in a 17-year old.

I still like Penalver best, but only because he has advanced to Lo-A without missing a beat, and Torres is only at Extended Spring Training. But I also think Torres has the highest celing and could eventually surpass Penalver.

Author: Arizona Phil
    19 hours 25 min ago
  • I think they have been investing in the organization and minor league system. I posted a week back, in a drunken rage, when Theo came on the scouts didn't know what excl was and there were feral cats roaming the scout office. (only one is a joke)

I believe why you see the influx of kids because someone with a clue is in there now and not basing players on their looks or how their girlfriend is.

That being said I will be disappointed if they spend on some pitching this offseason.

Author: jacos
    19 hours 40 min ago
  • "it is unacceptable for the Chicago Cubs to have the 8th lowest payroll"

A team committed to a serious rebuild should spend less money, not more, in order not to fill positions with veteran free agents who are slightly on the plus side of mediocre. Olt is having enough trouble displacing a guy making $1.7 million. Would you prefer that the team won more games but Lake and Olt were in Iowa?

There just aren't enough bullets now, but the slots are there for the taking in the outfield and middle infield and the competition will be fierce among the obvious prospects and the more serendipitous ones like Olt and Lake.

O&B is mixing mediocrity with shittiness. Shittiness is often temporary, while mediocrity tends to go on and on.

Author: VirginiaPhil
    19 hours 43 min ago
  • We all knew rebuilding would be painful, but it has to happen, mostly because of the shitstorm Hendry left behind. The guy should have been axed on Ricketts first day as owner. Yes, there are a lot of good prospects around the league, but for the first time in a long time, the Cubs organization actually has a number of good prospects. Not just "Cub good", but actually good. Good organizations aren't built in one year, it takes time.

In summary- come down off the ledge.

That said, I do think it is unacceptable for the Chicago Cubs to have the 8th lowest payroll in baseball. That's including a lot of money still being paid to Soriano.

Author: Ryno
    22 hours 20 min ago
  • Sometimes as a Cubs fan I forget how bad it really is. I tend to think it's not so bad, that all those years of mediocrity is just that. Mere mediocrity. Then reality hits me on the head when I read an article like the NYT link today in the twitter feed. "In the 68 seasons since, the team has finished above .500 only 19 times.". That's not mediocrity. It's pure, unfiltered shit.

I've been a Cubs fan for a long time, and sometimes people rightly get annoyed when I complain about what I see as a slow pace with TheoCorp, but this is why:

"In the 68 seasons since, the team has finished above .500 only 19 times."

The last two seasons? More shit.

I see promise with the kids, but I look around the majors and I see a lot of teams with prospects that are as good. So, yeah, a third season of shit is not gonna make me happy.

I don't want to hear about how Castro and Rizzo are "looking better". I want the team to win. I'm sick of giving up on the season in May year after year.

Author: Old and Blue
    22 hours 37 min ago
  • cj edwards - 5ip 5h 1bb 7k, 3 r/er (80 pitches)

dustin geiger (AA, 1st) hit his 4th HR on the year...bryant 1-4 with a double

A (kane) and AAA rained out.

Author: crunch
    1 day 7 hours ago
  • AzPhil

I'm curious how you feel Gleyber compares, off of what little you've seen so far, to Carlos Penalver and Marco Hernandez, first, at the same stages in their careers (in Arizona, XST), and second in general. I've read/seen all the reports, just curious about your gut feeling so far. (it's possible you answered this in a comment before, if so, sorry).

Author: toonsterwu
    1 day 7 hours ago
  • Phil from a few days ago:
    Submitted by Arizona Phil
    on Thu, 04/10/2014 - 8:52amPermalink.

CUBSTER: Gleyber Torres is an exceptional defensive shortstop. He makes the routine plays consistently, and I mentioned in a comment a couple of days ago that he made a leaping catch sideways (leaping to his right) in the "sim" game on Monday, and you have to be fairly athletic to get elevation while leaping sideways... and he just turned 17 in December!

He is very confident and poised for his age, and he doesn't show emotion or get flustered when he makes a mistake.

Offensively he appears (at this point) to be a top of the order type (#1 or #2 hitter), although he will need to get on base at a high rate to stay there as he eventually moves up the pipeline to the higher levels (AA, AAA. and MLB).

19-year old Kane County SS Carlos Penalver is a pretty good defender, too, so the Cubs have a couple of interesting teenaged shortstops in the system (although they are both probably several years away).

Author: QuietMan
    1 day 16 hours ago
  • AZPhil: my apolgies if you gave you thoughts in a previous post, but what are you impressions from Gleyber Torres, Tyler Alamo, and Eloy Jimenez so far?

Author: jtsunami
    1 day 18 hours ago
  • Disagree. He struck out Carpenter, only the ump didn't call it. Carpenter then hit the sac fly.

Author: Tito
    1 day 20 hours ago
  • Agreed Ryno. Castro looked really sharp the last 4-5 games.
    Anyone else think the piling on Edwin Jackson is a bit much? 6 IP and 4 earned runs isn't good....but it's not like he gave up 8 runs again. I'm not a fan, but he didn't pitch horribly yesterday.

Author: Dusty Baylor
    1 day 20 hours ago
  • I don't know- I think, with the exception of 2 or 3 games, they have played decent. I'm very encouraged by Castro's defensive improvements. He seems to be proving me wrong, and I couldn't be happier to see it.

Author: Ryno
    1 day 21 hours ago
  • Poor guy- He felt justified by his poor pitching mechanics because of his early success and no one was willing to sort him out because of that early success.

Author: Ryno
    1 day 21 hours ago
  • Nevetheless, billybuck's comment is a reflection of the grief that will rain down on TheoCorp if the Cubs combine another awful season at the big league level with a large scale failure of the prospects. I think that with Castro and Rizzo both looking much better, and the overall talent of the prospects, that's an unlikely scenario. But it also isn't realistic to expect all the prospects to make it. So far, my bet is for Soler not making it. He seems brittle, which is weird for a guy built like a tank.

Author: Old and Blue
    1 day 21 hours ago
  • Yeah, I rarely agree with Crunch, but there should be no criticism of Bryant yet. First, he has only had about 30 at bats, so let's hold off judgment just a bit. But even so, he is FIFTH in the entire Southern League in OPS at 1.053.

Author: WISCGRAD
    1 day 22 hours ago
  • re-evaluate bryant...he's been doing great for a 22 year old in AA, imo. .276/.432/.621 (3hr)

the only downside seems to be spotty play at 3rd.

j.vitters has been doing decent...and he's "only" 24...still, he's playing LF and it's not like he's expected to be an eventual breakout starter.

disappointingly, it seems n.ramirez is being used exclusively out of the pen in iowa...was hoping they'd give him more of a shot at starting even if the pen seemed to be his eventual landing point. he's had 2 good outings and 2 bad ones for some overall bad numbers outside of the Ks.

Author: crunch
    2 days 6 hours ago
  • CRAIG: Of all of the Latin pitchers making their U. S. debut at EXST, Jose Paulino has been the most-impressive (so far). He has the best command and shows the most poise, and he has a nice mix of pitches (cutter, sinker, and curve).

I mentioned in a previous comment that Paulino is a beanpole, sort of a LH version of C. J. Edwards (in terms of body-type).

It's difficult to know a whole lot about any of the new Latin pitchers at EXST right now, because they are all still in the process of getting into game-shape. More will be known over time as they get more game reps.

Author: Arizona Phil
    2 days 6 hours ago
  • HAGSAG: Roney Alcala has the same physique as Rock Shoulders. While Shoulders is 6'2 225+, Alcala is probably 6'1 225+.

Like Shoulders, Alcala has a plus-arm that allows him to play 3B or corner OF and would be attractive as a catcher, but he has a lack of agility that will probably limit him to LF.

Alcala is a dead pull hitter with pop LH but more of a spray hitter RH (although he doesn't drive the ball with as much authority RH).

He has below-average speed (his double yesterday was a hard-hit grounder pulled down the 1st base line that rolled into the RF corner, a hit that for most players would be a triple, but Alcala held up at 2nd base, and his stolen base resulted from the catcher throwing the ball into CF, but there was no error charged because Alcala was unable to advance to 3rd base).

So in summary, Alcala is a lot like Rock Shoulders back when Shoulders was a switch-hitter, and like Shoulders, Alcala is a "natural" third-baseman (Shoulders played 3B in HS and JC and at Instructs with the Cubs before he hurt his knee and was moved to 1B), but will probably eventually end up in LF (as also happened with Josh Vitters and will probably eventually happen with Dustin Geiger).

BTW, the Cubs tried Alcala at catcher last season in the VSL and then again when he was moved to the DSL Cubs after the VSL season ended (the VSL season starts and ends about two weeks prior to the DSL), but he has played ONLY 1B-3B-LF so far at EXST.

Author: Arizona Phil
    2 days 7 hours ago
  • The perfect season continues -- losing 2 of 3 in each the first 4 series. However, the upcoming 2-game series against the Yanks is problematic.

So, after two exciting weeks -- the closer has been moved to mop-up duty before April 15, Baez and Soler are hurt, Bryant has been blah...the only real excitement is Brett Jackson's remarkable K rate.

Author: billybucks
    2 days 8 hours ago
  • d.willis (AAA-SF) seems to be injured again. threw 3 WP in a row and walked off the mound holding his elbow.

Author: crunch
    2 days 9 hours ago
  • wow...wesley wright sighting.

coming into a game for the first time since april 4th. he's supposedly been healthy this entire time.

Author: crunch
    2 days 12 hours ago
  • MIL/PIT had 2h 11m game today...total 5 runs, 11h, 14K, 4bb...MIL won

Author: crunch
    2 days 13 hours ago
  • Signing Edwin Jackson in a deal like that was like settling for the Ford Pinto when the Mustang 2+2 Fastback was already taken.

Author: The E-Man
    2 days 14 hours ago
  • You are so right.

There should be a baseball naming convention called the "E.Jackson", or the "Edwin" when a team's pitcher gives up 3 or more runs early in the game (preferably innings 1-3) and then seemingly pitches ok for the next 3-4 innings, but then has to leave by the 6th due to too many pitches thrown.

Author: The E-Man
    2 days 14 hours ago
  • rain delay over.

Author: crunch
    2 days 14 hours ago
  • ugg...i dunno if i'm more sick of replay or more sick of the "catcher/blocking" rule.

actually, i'm pretty much more sick of the catcher/blocking rule because it's getting practically automatic that a manager will argue proper/improper blocking based on which side of the call is made. it's rarely just getting the interpretation when a manager comes out...it's turned into a nearly pointless delay which is too often turned into a review delay on top of it.

Author: crunch
    2 days 14 hours ago
  • Not many fan forum sites have references to Samuel Beckett, and certainly none populated by morans.

It's worth noting that the Cubs are not the focus of his play Catastrophe, although it seems obvious they should be.

Author: Old and Blue
    2 days 16 hours ago
  • Two of Samuel Beckett's lesser known dramatic works.

Author: Charlie
    2 days 16 hours ago
  • waiting even more...Baez on the 7 day Iowa DL with ankle sprain. So much for a weak/week back.

Author: Cubster
    2 days 16 hours ago
  • per the twitter box, the other thing I'm waiting for...

Author: Cubster
    2 days 17 hours ago
  • CCO says "multiple sources" report that Blake Parker is the call up

Author: Cubster
    2 days 21 hours ago
  • He was having some back issues a couple of days ago. Maybe they're giving it some rest?

Author: QuietMan
    3 days 6 hours ago
  • What's up with Javy?

Author: billybucks
    3 days 8 hours ago
  • lulz.

seriously, though...strap a glove on the pig and let him have a turn as closer. can't hurt.

Author: crunch
    3 days 8 hours ago
  • AZ Phil, I know Acala has a good stick. Have you figured out what position he belongs at on defense?

Author: Hagsag
    3 days 12 hours ago
  • Thanks for the update AZ, as always.

So, gang, did Renteria get overruled on Veras? Or was he just being supportive last night after the game. I guess he's not gonna say, "yeah, our guy really sucks."

It is nice to be able to say for once, that's a game the Cardinals should have won. Veras gave them the game, and they said, nah, keep it.

Arodys Vizcaino, your spot is ready. Hurry the hell up. Thanks.

Author: Old and Blue
    3 days 12 hours ago
  • Cubs optioned LHP Chris Rusin to Triple-A Iowa after the game. No word yet of who's coming up.

Parker, Ramirez, or Rosscup?

Wesley Wright still not being used.

Author: QuietMan
    3 days 12 hours ago
  • Yes and thank god for instant replay. Nice to see good plays by players get rewarded.

Author: johann
    3 days 15 hours ago
  • You'd never know by the box score, but Castro is getting after the ball today... wow. Good job.

Author: Ryno
    3 days 15 hours ago
  • Soon....good god. A meatball to the pitcher on 0 and 2
    ... he's just not that good. He's always been better as a reliever.

Author: Dusty Baylor
    3 days 15 hours ago
  • Theo must have gave him gave him the Elmer Fudd briefing

Author: jacos
    3 days 15 hours ago
  • Author: Cubster
    3 days 15 hours ago
  • Arrieta should take Rolly Fingers' spot soon, no?

Author: The Joe