• Some perspective (mostly for my own benefit): Dan Straily beat MadBum 2-1 today as the Reds took 2 of 3 in SF. Giants are 2-9 since the break and their lead over LA is down to 2.5 games. So, yeah...baseball. It'll drive ya nuts.

billybucks 1 hour 20 min ago
  • McNutt / Archer didn't work out well for us.

QuietMan 1 hour 36 min ago
  • The floor is more valuable than the ceiling. It's the same reason we drafted Kris Bryant instead of Jon Gray.

John Beasley 2 hours 21 min ago
  • Apparently the Yankees had the choice of either Gleyber Torres or Eloy Jimenez in the Chapman deal, and they chose Torres.

link

Arizona Phil 3 hours 15 min ago
  • Chapman shouldn't be reserved anymore on 40 man.

chitownmvp01 7 hours 7 min ago
  • Interesting split on Heyward according to ESPN. As a CF, his slash line .292/.363/.375/.738. At RF: .212/.204/.300/.604. 21/72 as a CF, 58/273 as a RF.

He's also been better when batting 2nd, but he had a nice start in the 6 hole, but has slumped ever since. He was heating up before the All Star break, but is only hitting .108 in the 2nd half.

chitownmvp01 7 hours 15 min ago
  • When we played the Reds with Chapman, I always thought of it as an eight-inning game. So now other teams have eight innings to try to get a lead against the Cubs. Should be a challenge, assuming three or four Cubs ever start hitting again.

I don't really try to get to know and like these players personally. I'm rooting for laundry, for the most part. Exceptions might be when a player makes trouble in the clubhouse or in the dugout. (Zambrano and Bradley come to mind. Also Papelbon.) But I don't think Chapman is one of those jerks.

VirginiaPhil 10 hours 47 min ago
  • Unfortunately, a pretty good summary. It looks like next year Heyward will be getting yet another batting stance adjustment.

The recent good news has been Baez. I'm afraid about the next league adjustment on him, though, which is probably right around the corner.

Bryant I don't worry about too much. Just not seeing the ball well right now. He'll turn it around. Russell's been good with men in scoring position all year and he's 22ish. He'll be fine but next year is likely to be his breakout year.

Old and Blue 12 hours 50 min ago
  • If Travis' back-to-back-to-back walks cost Hendricks the ERA title, that would really suck.

billybucks 21 hours 53 min ago
  • Edit: "A lifeless loss to a lousy Sox team."

billybucks 22 hours 36 min ago
  • This place is a real downer after a loss to the Sox.

Charlie 22 hours 47 min ago
  • I expect they will go 5-9 games above .500 the rest of the year. 96-98 wins will win the Division.

They should have one more 2-3 week hot streak in them.

However, several players are just "average" for the last month: Zobrist, Ross, Russell, Ceasar. Montero is terrible, plus he cannot throw anyone out. -WAR. Heyward is abysmal at the plate, but a plus in the OF. Still with RISP he has been terrible. KB has not been driving in runs as of late. But Apparently the team is still above average with RISP according to S Sahadev.

So, I just hate losing to the Sox, but we should get two here and typically these teams play even no matter the record.

They sure can use the "good" Soler soon, however.

The E-Man 22 hours 53 min ago
  • I came to that realization tonight. I kept expecting them to play better, but now I realize they aren't going to. They are a .500 team now.
    - They have one reliable starting pitcher. Jake's magic is gone, and it doesn't look like it's coming back. Lester has been lousy recently. Lackey's ERA goes up every time he pitches.
    - Heyward has been dead weight all year. I can't remember a single series where he was a significant offensive contributor. Not one. Great defense, but but if he were hitting .270 with 10 HR and played average defense, the Cubs would be better off.
    - Zobrist's crazy May is long gone. The league seems to be better positioned against him now -- he hits a lot of ground balls up the middle, right into the shift.
    - Russell is a nice player, but average, if that, offensively.

This puts all the pressure on Rizzo (who can handle it) and Bryant (who has one RBI in his last 16 games). Bryant is chasing a lot of low pitches -- it started with Familia in NY and continues. Last night's base running was also a killer. I guess I should expect "youth mistakes" from KB, but I don't.

Then, add in the odd dynamic of adding Chapman (who said today that Theo never spoke to him about behavioral expectations), which feels like the Nomar deal in 2004.

So, as you say -- maybe .500 from here on out makes the playoffs. But, it's gonna be painful.

billybucks 22 hours 57 min ago
  • new rule...no one's allowed to throw k.bryant a changeup

crunch 23 hours 8 min ago
  • Team is .500 since early May and is playing like a .500 team. Lack of offense seems to be putting a lot of pressure on the pitchers...and they aren't handling it terribly well.

.500 the rest of the way still may win the division though.

blockhead25 23 hours 14 min ago
  • ...i hate espn.

nothing like settling into a cubs game to get a few minutes cutaway for an ortiz AB in the 6th inning of the det/bos game.

oh, at least they're doing split screen now...i guess.

crunch 23 hours 29 min ago
  • I'm liking this rookie Nathan.

CTSteve 23 hours 30 min ago
  • Richard DFA'd. Meh...

The E-Man 1 day 2 hours ago
  • Throwbacks with fashionable cutouts would be a nice touch.

Charlie 1 day 4 hours ago
  • The next 2 games are nationally televised. I think we dominate tonight, hitting 3 HRs off Shields. Great night for KB to end HR drought facing HR prone pitcher in one of the most hitter friendly parks in the league.

chitownmvp01 1 day 5 hours ago
  • If the ball didn't deflect off the pitcher's mound, the game wouldn't have ended. Montgomery did miss his location though, but if that same contact was made and went in any of direction, good chance of ground out if it doesn't get through.

If it was 1 night later, Chapman would be out there and we probably would be going to extras.

Also, If KB wasn't robbed of a HR, perhaps we would have won. We will never know. Nice play by Melky though.

chitownmvp01 1 day 5 hours ago
  • The comparison isn't Chapman replacing Rondon. It's Chapman replacing Richard (hopefully) in the pen. Chapman's better.

billybucks 1 day 7 hours ago
  • I'm with you, Rob. You pretty much summed up how I feel about it.

JoePepitone 1 day 9 hours ago
  • Been quite the roller-coaster the past two days -- both games, plus the Chapman kerfuffel. How about a couple of nice, comfortable wins before facing Sale? Cubs should definitely wear throwbacks for that game.

billybucks 1 day 10 hours ago
  • The Cubs are stronger defensively than most of the teams they play. In order to capitalize on that, they have to a) put the ball in play and b) run the bases aggressively.

That said, Cabrera has a strong, accurate arm, as witnessed by his 97 outfield assists over 12 seasons--mostly left field but also a lot of center. Bryant is rarely thrown out, but I guess you have to know who's throwing the ball.

VirginiaPhil 1 day 11 hours ago
  • On the other hand, Pries won his first start for Iowa, only giving up two HRs in the process. This trade has got some legs yet!

Eric S 1 day 20 hours ago
  • KB now with 0 RBI in his last 10 games and 1 in his last 15, despite having 19 hits in his last 15 games and raising his batting average from .278 to .286 over that span.

Maybe have Zobrist hit 2 and KB hit 4?

Also -- no HR in the last 15 games -- time for a bunch. Starting tomorrow.

billybucks 1 day 20 hours ago
  • Down a run. Fowler on first. Nobody out. KB singles to left, Fowler makes it to third, perfect throw from Cabrera nails KB trying to stretch for 2nd.

So, instead of 1st & 3rd and no out, you have 3rd with one out. It was a perfect throw, but why take the chance with 3-4-5 hitters coming up?

billybucks 1 day 21 hours ago
  • Must be a Cub thing - our lefties can;t get lefties out.

billybucks 1 day 21 hours ago
  • Splitting hairs, but Jake's pitch was poor execution, while KB's play was a poor decision (and the 2nd time he got thrown out trying to stretch in the game). Poor execution happens. Poor decisions are preventable. Speaking of poor decisions -- Baez's steal of 3rd made absolutely no sense.

billybucks 1 day 21 hours ago
  • Didn't Jake cost them the game with a pitch to Frazier?

The E-Man 1 day 21 hours ago
  • Missed the play w/Bryant. What happened?

The E-Man 1 day 21 hours ago
  • Not a good decision by Bryant in the 9th. That may have cost them the game.

billybucks 1 day 21 hours ago
  • Can we un-do the Montgomery deal? Please?

billybucks 1 day 21 hours ago
  • THAT WAS TURRIBLE.

crunch 1 day 21 hours ago
  • Who is this Arrieta guy? Can I get the old one back please?

The E-Man 1 day 22 hours ago
  • Well, this is, once again, the whole season for the Sox.

billybucks 1 day 22 hours ago
  • ...and the Bryant RBI jinx continues in the 3rd....crap.

billybucks 2 days 20 min ago
  • bryant's in the dugout filling a police report BECAUSE HE JUST GOT ROBBED.

f'n cabrerra...

crunch 2 days 58 min ago
  • chapman showing up and available tomorrow night.

i'm sure he'll be a bit hit. hope he doesn't choke. dude has a rifle for an arm. he'll add a bit of punch to the bullpen.

crunch 2 days 59 min ago
  • the 'crosstown classic' sure has lost it's magic with interleague. the excitement level is barely noticable...maybe it's a bit more hype in the city, itself.

crunch 2 days 1 hour ago
  • Well he didn't leave a mark so its not that bad.

Fuck that.

Facts:

He choked her.

Her brother tackled him to separate him.

He cooled off by shooting his gun in the garage.

I don't have to like him on the team I follow.

And you are others are free to not give a shit about his personal misgivings if you so choose as well.

Rob G. 2 days 1 hour ago
  • Sure, no marks and some inconsistencies in the witness's statements. But firing your gun into garage wall immediately after an argument and punching out your car window is still threatening and out of control behavior. There was certainly enough for MLB to think it warranted a 30-game suspension.

Charlie 2 days 2 hours ago
  • I'd prefer they be flexible with the closing situation depending on matchups. You're not really adding a lefty reliever if you use him strictly as a closer.

Charlie 2 days 2 hours ago
  • Stockpiling young talent isn't only for trading for someone like Chapman though. Even with an elite closer winning the World Series is basically a crap shoot so the key is to get to the playoffs as much as possible and not just mortgage everything on one year. Once you get there an elite bullpen certainly helps but the playoffs can be won by one hitter or starting pitcher getting hot (Murphy, Molina, Baumgardner) and a closer might not be able to stop that.

Also getting Chapman doesn't guarantee an elite bullpen as his #s aren't that much better than Rondon's. The possibility in it is being able to slide the other relievers down to make the 6th and 7th better but we're gonna have to see if Rondon is good in a set up role. If so for sure it'll be great but if not we're only going to be a bit better.

I like that Theo is willing to give the team what they need to win I just dislike Chapman as a person and feel like we gave up a lot for what isn't a slam dunk improvement.

johann 2 days 2 hours ago
  • I'm also not crazy about press convictions. As the police report noted, there were no marks on the lady in question. There's a TMZ link (of course) to her police pictures, as well.

I think the only way this trade goes real bad is if Cubbery intervenes and Chapman is suddenly bad for some reason.

Old and Blue 2 days 3 hours ago
  • I am right there with you closing in on 60.

I don't care that much about "mortgaging" one player who is not only blocked by two guys, but is not ready to hit the majors for at least a couple years.

There is no reason why this team, this year, can't have a real shot at something NONE of us have experienced.

Further, I don't feel that even if they fall short that they have ruined their farm system.

I have made my opinion clear here, with others, Warren was shit on the Cubs save one spot start.

The other players - are there no more that would be their equals or outperform them?

I'd take that bet.

Yeah - the lovable loser Cubbies have a shot to maybe not be so likable, while they try to punch their ticket to the World Series that have alluded them since 1908.

I'm ok with the trade-off.

The E-Man 2 days 4 hours ago
  • Trading for Warren, Warren sucking, getting Warren back for Chapman plus 3 prospects, sounds like Revenge of The Yankees on the former Boston executive. Old rivalries never die.

I pray to the heavens above Chapman doesn't suck for some reason, or he'll be booed out of town faster than a Todd Hundley revival meeting.

Old and Blue 2 days 4 hours ago
  • I'm kind of nostalgic for the Schwarber-for-Miller rumors.

Brick 2 days 4 hours ago
  • This offseason, after some ridiculous playoff run and Chapman saving every game from here until the end of the postseason striking out 27/9innings, I welcome anyone to quote this thread and call me a dummy: I hate this trade, and my hate is 2 parts Chapman makes this team less likeable and 1 part that's a ridiculous overpay for 30 regular season innings and, at tops, 10 postseason innings. Already hoping they don't extend him.

Charlie 2 days 4 hours ago