It's Draft Day, Cub Fans. Theo Epstein: please be on your game.

The most important thing that will happen today in sports has nothing to do with the Blackhawks or Duncan Keith's suspension or creepy sleazebag living Ped Dispenser Tony Bosch (hey that would make a good drawing) or anything to do with LBJ and the Heat.

It's draft day.
Theo Epstein, this is your day.
Today is why we're all sitting around watching these couple summers of losing Cubs' baseball.
You've got the 2nd draft pick.
Right behind the Astros.
And then something ridiculous like 39 more picks for everyone from college seniors to children in Korea.
It is very important to me that you choose the correct guy(s) so the Cubs can keep their date with the World Series ummm...sometime really soon.
Do I know who that guy that first guy is?
Everybody says it's Mark Appel.
But you're Theo Epstein, the guy with the braintrust, the scouts, the software...
So figure it out, dude.
You have literally all my faith.

Go Cubs.

Comments

How often do college pitchers with the hype of Mark Appel and Jonathan Gray end up as the top two picks in the draft and how do they perform after that?

Somewhat similar to the question I had in a previous post, with lots of good follow up and answers. I'm still against signing a pitcher on a 1,2,3 type pick, but there was some good info there.

It's the injury thing for me. I see the potential for position players and pitchers to be about the same at that level - by that level I mean a top three pick. There's a pretty decent chance they'll make it. But the pitcher is more likely to have a career ending injury. I'd rather see the team build its staff by picking lots of pitchers further down and seeing which ones manage to stay healthy enough to emerge into a star.

The Ryan Braun cartoon was mint (I bet that's a word the kids don't use anymore, unlike, say, "dude"). I should have said, that was sick!

"Mint"! The only reason I do this stuff is for comments like that, Old and Blue. Thank you.

• QuietMan 7 hours 51 min ago view
  • FYI, formatting of the web page is weird.

JoePepitone 10 hours 26 min ago view
  • Now who can argue with that? I think we're all indebted to Gabby Johnson for clearly stating what needed to be said. I'm particularly glad that these lovely children were here today to hear that speech. Not only was it authentic frontier gibberish, it expressed a courage little seen in this day and age.

Jackstraw 10 hours 37 min ago view
  • White Sox new stadium name w apropos logo

jacos 11 hours 18 min ago view
  • it was between that and "more like the CRUNCH REALLY EARLY AM REPORTER because i'm gonna c.r.e.am all over this place."

i chose the classy route.

• Rob G. 11 hours 31 min ago view
  • that was the 2nd greatest piece of performance art since Donald Trump's campaign

• ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘€ good shit goเฑฆิ sHit๐Ÿ‘Œ thats โœ” some good๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘Œshit right๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘Œthere๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘Œ rightโœ”there โœ”โœ”if i do ฦฝaาฏ so my self ๐Ÿ’ฏ i say so ๐Ÿ’ฏ thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: สณแถฆแตสฐแต— แต—สฐแต‰สณแต‰) mMMMMแŽทะœ๐Ÿ’ฏ ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘Œ ๐Ÿ‘ŒะO0ะžเฌ OOOOOะžเฌ เฌ Ooooแต’แต’แต’แต’แต’แต’แต’แต’แต’๐Ÿ‘Œ ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘Œ ๐Ÿ‘Œ ๐Ÿ’ฏ ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐ŸŽฉ๐Ÿ‘“๐ŸŽฉ๐Ÿ‘๐ŸŽฉ๐Ÿ‘“๐ŸŽฉ๐Ÿ‘๐ŸŽฉ euphoric logic !euphoric loGic๐Ÿ‘Œ thats โœ” some euphoric๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ’ป logic right๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ’ปthere๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘Œ Carl ๐Ÿ”ญ Sagan๐ŸŒŒ๐Ÿ’ซif i do ฦฝaาฏ so gentlemen ๐Ÿ’ฏ i say so ๐Ÿ’ฏ thats euPhoric logic right there Richard ๐Ÿ“’ Dawkins๐ŸŽฉ (chorus: socrates died for this shit) mMMMMแŽทะœ๐Ÿ’ฏ ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘“๐Ÿ‘ŒะO0ะžเฌ OOOOOะžเฌ เฌ Ooooแต’แต’แต’แต’แต’แต’แต’แต’แต’๐Ÿ‘Œ ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐ŸŽฉ ๐Ÿ‘Œ ๐Ÿ’ฏ ๐Ÿ‘Œ ๐Ÿ‘“๐ŸŽฉ๐ŸŽฉ๐ŸŽฉ ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘Œeuphoric logic slam me the FUCK uP ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘€ john cena JOhN cEna

• You can start the CRUNCH EARLY AM REPORTER. Then you can blog to yourself, and argue with yourself about Jon Lester.

• my current job has me coming in at 7am (eastern)...i miss staying up til 2am to watch west coast games.

• Remember when west coast road trips were a good time to catch up on some reading?

• Taboola field is more appropriate.

• we can only hope...

The things you have to do to pay for James Shields contract.

• I wonder if they'll have to make use of the Guaranteed Rate logo, which is a giant red arrow pointing downward.

Brick 15 hours 55 min ago view
  • unsurprisingly, the White Sox continue a tradition of stupid stuff....

@DannyEcker BREAKING: Guaranteed Rate has purchased naming rights to U.S. Cellular Field. Will be known as Guaranteed Rate Field thru 2030.

• that was a very kind 3rd strike to hendricks to end the 3rd.

man on 3rd, 0 outs and got 2 pop-ups and a K...Maddux-lite indeed