MLB Disaster Plan (Restocking Draft)
In the event that an incident occurs where at least five players from the same MLB club are killed, dismembered, and/or permanently disabled, MLB has a "Rehabilitation Plan" in place under Rule 29 that includes financial support and a "Restocking Draft" for the stricken club (known as the "Disabled Club"). The plan has existed in basically the same form since 1965, so the method for allocating talent to the affected team essentially follows the mechanism used to distribute players to MLB expansion teams in 1960-61.
Under this plan, after a reasonable period of mourning, and presuming that the MLB Commissioner, the MLBPA, and the other 29 clubs jointly agree that the Disabled Club's season should continue, each of the other 29 clubs will be required to contribute five players from its MLB Active List (25-man roster) into the Restocking Draft pool, including one pitcher, one infielder, one outfielder, and one catcher (but only if the club has at least three catchers on its 25-man roster), plus one additional player regardless of position (or two additional players regardless of position if the club does not have three catchers on its 25-man roster).
If the incident occurs during the off-season or during Spring Training, each of the other 29 clubs will be required to contribute six players from its MLB Reserve List (40-man roster) into the Restocking Draft pool, including one pitcher, one infielder, one outfielder, and one catcher (but only if the club has at least three catchers on its 40-man roster), plus two additional players regardless of position (or three additional players regardless of position if the club does not have three catchers on its 40-man roster).
From the Restocking Draft pool, the Disabled Club will be permitted to select replacements for the players lost in the disaster.
1. The number of players selected by the Disabled Club must match the number of players lost in the disaster;
2. No club can lose more than one player;
3. Any player with a "no trade" right is exempt from inclusion in the pool unless the player waives his "no trade" right in advance;
4. The five (or six) players made available by each club must include as many players with a minimum of 60 days (0+060) of MLB service time as were lost in the disaster;
5. Players on the Disabled List cannot be included in the pool unless the player is eligible to be reinstated from the DL and the player's club certifies that the player is healthy enough to play if selected.
In addition to the Restocking Draft and financial support, various other considerations may be temporarily extended to the Disabled Club, including additional selections in the MLB Rule 4 and Rule 5 drafts, a higher waiver-claim priority, and/or a modification to restrictions on post-season roster eligibility.