Restrictions on Outrighting Players During the Off-Season
1. A player cannot be outrighted to the minors on the two days prior to the Rule 5 Draft.
2. A "Rule 5 Player" cannot be outrighted to the minors any earlier than 20 days prior to the start of the MLB regular season.
3. A "Draft-Excluded Player" can be outrighted to the minors only if Outright Waivers are requested no later than the 4th day following the conclusion of the World Series, and if a "Draft-Excluded Player" is not outrighted to the minors prior to the Rule 5 Draft, the player cannot be sent to the minors any earlier than 20 days prior to the start of the MLB regular season (same as a Rule 5 player).
4. An unsigned player who is eligible to be an Article XX-D minor league free-agent if outrighted can be outrighted to the minors anytime during the off-season, but an unsigned player who would have been eligible to be an MLB Rule 55 minor league free-agent if the player had been on a minor league reserve list cannot be outrighted to the minors after 5 PM (Eastern) on October 15th or after 5:00 PM on the 5th day following the conclusion of the World Series (whichever is later).
5. If a player accrues at least one day of MLB Service Time in a season and then is outrighted to the minors prior to being tendered a Major League contract for the following season, the player's minor league monthly salary for the following season must be at least 80% of his final monthly salary from the previous season.