Sad quotes. Sad score. Sad record. Sad Cubs.

Well, the good news is 2012 is almost over for the Chicago Cubs.

Probably I was one of about 47 people who watched last night's 2-8 Cub-drubbing by Arizona.
I mean, I watched but it was unwatchable.
I googled "Cubs tv ratings" and the newest article (the Sherman Report) is from August 31st.
It says White Sox games rule tv in Chicago (yada yada whatever dude), but worse is that the guy compared the 2008 numbers with this year's.
It's a drop of 62%.
In your basic world of tv, that "Cubs" show would get cancelled.
Now, I'm still totally for the Theo Plan, and the minors are seriously, truly, amazingly looking up (see Boise!).
But damn, if I'm Tom Ricketts I'm pretty worried about the family business.
Because it is bee ay dee.
The Jed Hoyer quotes about having money to spend on some free agents (pitching) for next year, that can't be a lie because the product at Wrigley Field has to improve.
A handful of 2-year Paul Maholm-types, a handful of Shawn Camps...
This 2012 season HAS to be the Cubs hitting rock bottom (isn't a hundred losses enough?), and next year the fans HAVE to see some kind of improvement.

Or who's gonna watch?

This is also sad: if everything aligns in my schedule, I'll be at Wrigley on Tues nite against the Astros.
That would be only game number three for me this year.
And I'm kind of a big fan.

• RIP Arnie. We could use a lot more like you -- a man who succeeded and failed on his own terms, a true original, and, finally, a remarkable example of graciousness towards others.

• Cubs finish 33 over at home. I was, personally, one game over at 3-2, which was one of my better years in a while.

I do hope that's the last time we see the Cardinals this year. A lot of power, which is dangerous, particularly in a short series, and they have really shut down KB all year.

Oh, and Jon Lester? Damn!

• Yes. Boating accident at 3AM. Very sad, but stupid. Young men do stupid things.

• lester puts 2 on and is taken out at 96 pitches. oh well.

edwards in.

• 2 out in the 7th, lester at 84 pitches, ross taken out for the standing O.

it's possible contreras will catch lester for another inning+.

• What a weird day.  Jose Fernandez and Arnold Palmer, but then Scully and, on a much more modest level, Ross....

Transmission 9 hours 46 min ago view
  • d.ross gets his 2nd standing O on the night (last home game of the season)...hits HR #10...curtain call. baseball.

• as a fan, he only "owes" us the game on the field and not getting in the way of others on his team being ready to play (imo).

it's exponentially worse to his family and friends, but this dude most likely had 15+ years of play left and even though he just turned 24 a couple months ago he had already established himself as a top guy in the game.

• Carrie Muskat [email protected]

Updated #Cubs probs vs Pirates: Mon, Hendricks vs Kuhl; Tue, Lackey vs Vogelsong; Wed, Arrieta vs Taillon; Thu, Zastryzny vs Nova

• I know what you're trying to say, Charlie, that none of us feels what his loved ones must be feeling.

On the other hand, what makes a death like this tragic is precisely the loss, based on Fernandez's youth and brilliance, to the baseball world.

So, for example, we can say that Princess Diana's death meant more, in aggregate, to millions of admirers who didn't know her personally than to her loved ones.

VirginiaPhil 13 hours 34 min ago view
  • boston pitching snags a couple of mlb team records...

"Over nine innings of play, Boston's staff struck out 11 straight Tampa Bay Rays hitters Sunday, breaking the major-league record for most consecutive strikeouts in a game.

The previous record was held by former New York Mets right-hander Tom Seaver, who struck out 10 straight hitters in 1970.

Not only that, but with a strikeout to end the ninth, sending the game into extras, Boston's staff also struck out an MLB-record 21 batters over nine innings."

• What a loss to baseball, which I'm sure pales in comparison to the personal loss to his loved ones.

• Somehow I am sensing alcohol was involved. The highest number of boating accidents by a wide margin...

• crunch 18 hours 8 min ago view
  • Reports this morning that Marlins' pitching ace Jose Fernandez died in a boating accident - just horrible news.

Eric S 22 hours 1 min ago view
  • Check out John Arguello at Cubs Den for great analysis & photos from Cubs AZ Instructs

link