Sat Funnies: A-Rod drops his lawsuits

I certainly hope I haven't soiled your thoughts of the upcoming Spring with this one.
I just laughed out loud when I saw ESPN's response to A-Rod dropping his lawsuits.
Kurkjian's perfectly straight face.
"It's the smartest thing Alex Rodriguez has done in some time."

Okay, back to baseball and I promise to never do another A-Rod post again.

Comments

We're going to hold you to it.

Deal.

Cubs and Shark avoid arbitration by agreeing to a one-year, $5.345 million deal.

Oh, dear god.

Trans!!

I knew you couldn't resist Hall of Fame homo-eroticism!

You still know me to a T, Jacos.

I've stopped promising that I will return to hang out and be a part of the crew, because I don't like breaking promises.   I'll just say that for the first time since, well, when I first started writing here, my life is stable and predictable.  Woo, boringness!

Tenure track?

Yep.  Published the book while I was unemployed and living in a shack, and going on tenure-track interview after tenure-track interview.  Kinda amusing.  Now all set up at a nice public U just outside of Philly.  Phillies fans are amusing.  ~snort~    Got a good review on my first semester, so they'll be keeping me around for at least the four years between now and tenure-decision, barring something horrific....

Congrats!

That's a long road, congrats. Hope you'll be recapping parachats from now on;)

Congrats to a Philly area prof from a Philly area grad student!

Is "shack" hyperbole, or were you really squatting in someone's shack? I'm trying to picture my life in 3 years or so.

great to hear
keep in touch

Thank you, The Joe and JB.  What do you study, Charlie?  While I need to still keep something of a low profile as long as I'm tenure-TRACK, I am not worried about the sort of "deep anonymity" that I used to be.  Would be fun to get beers with east-coast Cubs fans.

Shack is a bit hyperbolic, but not by much.  There were days when outside weather conditions or plumbling failures made it temporarily unlivable. Put it this way, I made sure never to be in it during a severe weather alert.

Still bleak, even if it's not a shack. I'm currently a fully grown adult sharing a place with another fully grown adult I barely know. Ah, grad school. I'm studying English Lit. Would be happy to grab a beer sometime. I'll probably end up at Citizens Bank sometime when the Cubs come into town, as well.

Cafardo Sunday, Updates on Nine...

8. Jeff Samardzija, RHP, Cubs — There’s still a good amount of interest, but the Cubs are holding out hoping they can sign him long term. If things get to the point by the trading deadline where Theo Epstein and Jed Hoyer don’t feel it’s possible, they could deal him then. Nothing prevents the Cubs from dealing him during spring training, but that seems unlikely.

• RIP Arnie. We could use a lot more like you -- a man who succeeded and failed on his own terms, a true original, and, finally, a remarkable example of graciousness towards others.

• Cubs finish 33 over at home. I was, personally, one game over at 3-2, which was one of my better years in a while.

I do hope that's the last time we see the Cardinals this year. A lot of power, which is dangerous, particularly in a short series, and they have really shut down KB all year.

Oh, and Jon Lester? Damn!

• Yes. Boating accident at 3AM. Very sad, but stupid. Young men do stupid things.

• lester puts 2 on and is taken out at 96 pitches. oh well.

edwards in.

• 2 out in the 7th, lester at 84 pitches, ross taken out for the standing O.

it's possible contreras will catch lester for another inning+.

• What a weird day.  Jose Fernandez and Arnold Palmer, but then Scully and, on a much more modest level, Ross....

Transmission 6 hours 55 min ago view
  • d.ross gets his 2nd standing O on the night (last home game of the season)...hits HR #10...curtain call. baseball.

• as a fan, he only "owes" us the game on the field and not getting in the way of others on his team being ready to play (imo).

it's exponentially worse to his family and friends, but this dude most likely had 15+ years of play left and even though he just turned 24 a couple months ago he had already established himself as a top guy in the game.

• Carrie Muskat [email protected]

Updated #Cubs probs vs Pirates: Mon, Hendricks vs Kuhl; Tue, Lackey vs Vogelsong; Wed, Arrieta vs Taillon; Thu, Zastryzny vs Nova

• I know what you're trying to say, Charlie, that none of us feels what his loved ones must be feeling.

On the other hand, what makes a death like this tragic is precisely the loss, based on Fernandez's youth and brilliance, to the baseball world.

So, for example, we can say that Princess Diana's death meant more, in aggregate, to millions of admirers who didn't know her personally than to her loved ones.

VirginiaPhil 10 hours 43 min ago view
  • boston pitching snags a couple of mlb team records...

"Over nine innings of play, Boston's staff struck out 11 straight Tampa Bay Rays hitters Sunday, breaking the major-league record for most consecutive strikeouts in a game.

The previous record was held by former New York Mets right-hander Tom Seaver, who struck out 10 straight hitters in 1970.

Not only that, but with a strikeout to end the ninth, sending the game into extras, Boston's staff also struck out an MLB-record 21 batters over nine innings."

• What a loss to baseball, which I'm sure pales in comparison to the personal loss to his loved ones.

• Somehow I am sensing alcohol was involved. The highest number of boating accidents by a wide margin...

• crunch 15 hours 17 min ago view
  • Reports this morning that Marlins' pitching ace Jose Fernandez died in a boating accident - just horrible news.

Eric S 19 hours 10 min ago view
  • Check out John Arguello at Cubs Den for great analysis & photos from Cubs AZ Instructs

link