- Crane Kenney says the Cubs will increase payroll next year regardless of an ownership change.
''And when it all works, this is what it looks like,'' he said,
referring to back-to-back postseasons and a 97-win season. ''It's like
the Braves. That's the model -- the Braves and the Red Sox and the
Yankees. Play like a big market, flex your muscle like a big market and
hopefully perform like one on the field.''
- Sullivan is hearing that the Cubs will pursue a left-handed outfield bat to compete with Fukudome and Fukudome doesn't really care.
"If it means that there will be competition in right field, all I have to do is win that competition," he replied.
- Carlos Marmol got banged up a bit in a car accident in the Dominican Republic.
"Out of precaution they did different studies on my body, and I don't have any kind of serious injury," Marmol wrote.
- The headline says it all - "Harden to visit Shoulder Specialist". Apparently the Cubs have until today to decide on his option. They have until after the World Series on Blanco's.
- The same link says all the Cubs coaches have been asked back.
- Cubs organizational meetings begin October 19th in Arizona. A few rumors and notes in that link including...
Lee has a no-trade clause but could be asked to lift it if he's dealt
to a team in California for pitching help. Lee lives in Sacramento, so
it's not out of the realm of possibility.
likely will be on the trade block again after yelling at trainer Mark
O'Neal during a nasty exchange before a game in Milwaukee on the final
weekend of the regular season.
Well that should add some fuel to the sign Teixeira/deal Lee flames. Trading Cedeno, moving Theriot to the utility role and signing Furcal would be kind of neat too.
- Paul Sullivan and I agree on something. I'm not comfortable with this...
The Cubs players spent much of the season downplaying talk of the
alleged curse, only to have Cubs brass bring out a Greek priest to
spread holy water in their dugout the day of the start of the playoffs.
What kind of a show of faith in the high-priced team was that? Piniella
and the players were blind-sided by the stunt.