Cubs fans, an opportunity presents itself that we cannot afford to ignore. The starting middle-infielders on our team are:
- Teammates since college
- Own last names that rhyme with each other
- Are generally just sort of adorable
And, someone surprisingly given Hendry's penchant for gathering unto the Ark two of every no-hit utility man, these guys are, most importantly
- pretty good baseball players!
It's time to give Ryan Theriot and Mike Fontenot their own nickname. Something that, after the Cubs win the World Series this year, will echo throughout the marbled halls of Cubs lore like "The Daily Double."
More important, it should be something we can slap on a T-shirt and hawk outside of Wrigley, allowing the yet-unknown Adam who names this new creature in the Cubs garden to take home a generous 3% cut of TCR's profits on the venture.1
Of course, there already is a nickname in circulation, "The Cajun Connection." That nickname however
- is the name of several businesses
- sounds like it could be a Sourthern escort service
- is a bit of a mouthful
- seems to have first been used by Paul Sullivan in a 2007 article
- hasn't yet caught on to the point where it's cemented as their nickname
Follow me below the fold, wordsmiths, to discuss nicknames for our mighty middle infielders.