Sunday Funnies: Javier Baez is making noise

Remember before Theo was here?
Hope all pinned on the 3 Cs - Colvin/Castro/Cashner?
The Cubs had Kosuke Fukudome and Carlos Pena, Doug Davis and Ramon Ortiz.
Mike Quade.
Koyie.
The giant empty promise of a heavily promoted, ridiculous Cubs/Red Sox series where we watched the Cubs give up 15 runs on National TV complete with Kevin Youkilis making a comet out of a Scott Maine pitch.
I tried to make a friendly bet with a bartender and after that homer he said, "Put your money where your liver is."
In August people saying the always hilarious "wait til next year," and my response was "What are you even talking about?"

IT'S SO FUN NOW!
What if Baez comes up next year and Castro's found his bat and glove so Baez goes to third oh wait there's Olt if he clears up his tear duct he could be fantastic but don't forget Bryant cause that's a special bat you might not be able to hold him back but maybe he's in left or right either way probably Baez goes to short so Castro can go to second unless Alcantara becomes something else and maybe Castro or someone gets traded by a Cubs team dealing from strength (what?) with the "nice problem(s) to have" and I forgot about Christian Villanueva at third and that's not even mentioning the outfield or saying anything derogatory about Barney.

There's a new kind of hope that's based on guys like Baez rather than ohhhh... say a line drive bouncing off Lee Smith's back.
Kinda nice.

Comments

PIT@SF ...neil walker warming up with a doughnut on his bat last night...cubs logo on it.

i wish i was a conspiracy theorist...he'd look good in cubbie blue.

cubs were last in SF july 28th...pit last played the cubs july 7th...

m.olt 1-4, single

k.bryant 2-4, double
vogel 1-3, 2bb

smokies in the 2nd...baez 1-1, single, so far.

CB, two words: F ing brilliant.

just got back from 2.5 hour anniversary dinner...game still on...it's a night of winning at life.

Happy anniversary!

We told the cubs to stay on for ya

It's torture to watch this thing.

well, the torture is over now.

h.rondon still sucks. bleh.

Agreed. J Lake batting with bases loaded and 1 out is torture. I mean you KNOW he wants to bunt, I mean hit a home run, I mean bunt, I mean hit a home run I mean . . .

He's a brand new breed of all or nothing hitter.

When Theo starts deciding his roster cuts after the 5 FA filings, he can start with Rondon.......color me not impressed.

And one of those FA filings blew the game because he couldn't catch a 30 foot throw at home plate.

Agreed and agreed. I mean Gregg looked lost . . . where did he expect the throw to be?

take a deep breath and say, "it was worth it because the Cubs gained a game on the WSux in the 2014 draft standings"

if this upcoming draft had anyone worth a damn it might matter more.

the 2014 draft, highschool and college, is shaping up to be an extremely weak draft.

c.rondon will probably go 1st overall. if the 2013 draft class was added to the 2014 class rondon probably wouldn't go top 5. it gets weaker after that...

tyler beede (college SP), trea turner (college SS), justin bellinger (HS 1st, best HS bat)...

it's going to be a SS + SP heavy lower 1st round. there's not a lot of quality power and even the SP aren't all that awesome.

the summer wood bat invitationals/leagues this year have been boring. no standout pitching or "woah" batting breakouts...especially from the highschool crop.

hell, this is shaping up to be a draft class where a guy like vogelbomb would be a mid-round 1st round pick...power is extremely lacking...about as much as SP with great stuff who demonstrate good control.

Cubs 2013 tombstone

"Beaten by Ronny Cedeno"

• Hmmm, my math might be fuzzy but if he retired 3 batters with 3 pitches, how did he get a 1/1 GO/AO ratio?

bradsbeard 1 hour 4 min ago view
  • Pls DFA Peralta when Richard comes back. Richard 1 IP, O R, O ER, 0 BB, 2 Ks in first rehab appearance. We really need to trade for a LHRP.

chitownmvp01 1 hour 21 min ago view
  • "The Boston Red Sox were banned from signing any international players for the next year and had five of their teenage prospects declared free agents on Friday after a Major League Baseball investigation showed they circumvented signing-bonus rules last year, a source familiar with the situation told Yahoo Sports."

Rob Richardson 5 hours 59 sec ago view
  • The thing with Heyward is its not just free agency. He is way under performing his career #s. He's making the same % of contact but his soft contact is much higher and hard contact much lower than all his previous years so there is something very specifically going on this year causing the issues. Chances are he will eventually get back to his previous #s and it's better to get the slump now and get that hot run later but I wish I knew what is different about this year. He's either just not seeing the ball as well or a swing change is causing it.

• Only 3 pitches for Leathersich. Not much of a rehab outing.

Thanks for the reporting Phil.

QuietMan 5 hours 28 min ago view
  • He's the nastiest pitcher I've seen in awhile. I'm gonna give them all a mulligan on this one.

Coghlan's strike out was more disappointing. He was fighting off a lot of pitches and not swinging at crap, and on the last pitch, he swung at stuff he was laying off, and struck out.

And Heyward, too. I don't blame Heyward - I blame free agency. I hate it. You almost never get a valid return on the investment.

I look forward to the day when ball players own the teams. The current economics are not sustainable.

• Oh, I'm sure you're right. He's not 27-27 in saves for nothing. But, man, I hope they learned last night that he didn't throw a single pitch in the zone to KB, Contreras or Baez, and they all just kept swinging.

• Sounds like a much better game than last night's fiasco in Flushing.

• I'm pretty sure it looks like a sweet pitch on the way in. How many sinkers like that are there at 98 mph? I agree that they should just do a Lackey and stand their with their bat on their shoulders until he throws a strike next time, but I can see how that's hard to do.

The bullpen, on the other hand, is a mess, and Heyward is starting to piss me off.

• I noticed that too. He's getting to everything, but when he gets right under it on a high flyball he looks uncomfortable

cubbies.4ever 17 hours 29 min ago view
  • Did you expect anything different?

• Wow, did they blow this game. Stupid plays by the kids in the 7th -- Almora throwing to 3rd instead of 2nd to keep the DP in order (when a DP probably wins the game) and Baez throwing to 3rd (to a backpedalling KB) instead of getting the easy 2nd out at first - cost them the game. Also, Contreras almost throws the ball into RF on a nonexistent pick-off play. And Maddon, for using Peralta in the first place. Did they do a bunch of shots in the dugout before the 7th? Unbelievably bad baseball. I thought Almora had a high baseball IQ?

• men on 2nd/3rd, 0 out...and nothing.

cubs lose :(

• UH OH! RALLY TIME!

• Getting tired of this Heywood weak sauce

jacos 19 hours 14 min ago view
  • Yep, can't say I disagree with that. His first batter and resulting walk was just brutal. Reminded me of a bit of Jacque Jones spiking his throws into the ground from RF.

Eric S 19 hours 23 min ago view