Sunday Funnies: Javier Baez is making noise

Remember before Theo was here?
Hope all pinned on the 3 Cs - Colvin/Castro/Cashner?
The Cubs had Kosuke Fukudome and Carlos Pena, Doug Davis and Ramon Ortiz.
Mike Quade.
Koyie.
The giant empty promise of a heavily promoted, ridiculous Cubs/Red Sox series where we watched the Cubs give up 15 runs on National TV complete with Kevin Youkilis making a comet out of a Scott Maine pitch.
I tried to make a friendly bet with a bartender and after that homer he said, "Put your money where your liver is."
In August people saying the always hilarious "wait til next year," and my response was "What are you even talking about?"

IT'S SO FUN NOW!
What if Baez comes up next year and Castro's found his bat and glove so Baez goes to third oh wait there's Olt if he clears up his tear duct he could be fantastic but don't forget Bryant cause that's a special bat you might not be able to hold him back but maybe he's in left or right either way probably Baez goes to short so Castro can go to second unless Alcantara becomes something else and maybe Castro or someone gets traded by a Cubs team dealing from strength (what?) with the "nice problem(s) to have" and I forgot about Christian Villanueva at third and that's not even mentioning the outfield or saying anything derogatory about Barney.

There's a new kind of hope that's based on guys like Baez rather than ohhhh... say a line drive bouncing off Lee Smith's back.
Kinda nice.

Comments

m.olt 1-4, single

k.bryant 2-4, double
vogel 1-3, 2bb

smokies in the 2nd...baez 1-1, single, so far.

CB, two words: F ing brilliant.

just got back from 2.5 hour anniversary dinner...game still on...it's a night of winning at life.

Happy anniversary!

We told the cubs to stay on for ya

It's torture to watch this thing.

well, the torture is over now.

h.rondon still sucks. bleh.

Agreed. J Lake batting with bases loaded and 1 out is torture. I mean you KNOW he wants to bunt, I mean hit a home run, I mean bunt, I mean hit a home run I mean . . .

He's a brand new breed of all or nothing hitter.

When Theo starts deciding his roster cuts after the 5 FA filings, he can start with Rondon.......color me not impressed.

And one of those FA filings blew the game because he couldn't catch a 30 foot throw at home plate.

Agreed and agreed. I mean Gregg looked lost . . . where did he expect the throw to be?

take a deep breath and say, "it was worth it because the Cubs gained a game on the WSux in the 2014 draft standings"

if this upcoming draft had anyone worth a damn it might matter more.

the 2014 draft, highschool and college, is shaping up to be an extremely weak draft.

c.rondon will probably go 1st overall. if the 2013 draft class was added to the 2014 class rondon probably wouldn't go top 5. it gets weaker after that...

tyler beede (college SP), trea turner (college SS), justin bellinger (HS 1st, best HS bat)...

it's going to be a SS + SP heavy lower 1st round. there's not a lot of quality power and even the SP aren't all that awesome.

the summer wood bat invitationals/leagues this year have been boring. no standout pitching or "woah" batting breakouts...especially from the highschool crop.

hell, this is shaping up to be a draft class where a guy like vogelbomb would be a mid-round 1st round pick...power is extremely lacking...about as much as SP with great stuff who demonstrate good control.

Cubs 2013 tombstone

"Beaten by Ronny Cedeno"

• been like that everytime I've been there too including Jack Murphy/Qualcomm Stadium. Cubs travel well. It was pretty loud for Angels/Cubs this year and decent for Dodgers/Cubs but Dodger fans definitely turn out better than the Padre fans.

• When I went in the 2007-2008 range, it was at least 75% Cubs fans.

blockhead25 3 hours 38 min ago view
  • Jeff Sullivan on Kris Bryant's lack of clutch hitting in 2016. Very good stuff, unsatisfying conclusion (it's probably random).

John Beasley 3 hours 39 min ago view
  • I was at Tuesday's game in San Diego. It looked like half of Chicago was at Petco. We were much louder than Padres fans.

BobbyD 3 hours 40 min ago view
  • We may have a chance to catch one in October. Although hell, I couldn't deal with my co-workers if we lose to them.

blockhead25 3 hours 59 min ago view
  • think I have to miss this series too (also was at the Arrieta game last year). But in my case, just had a busy weekend with work and kids have a bunch of activities and we made it to Opening Day in Anaheim and a couple of games in Wrigley this year which we normally don't get too...so not feeling like I'm missing out this year.

• they're awful

• I hope the Cubs play three good teams.

Jackstraw 4 hours 16 min ago view
  • First year I'm not going to a Cubs/Dodgers game in a long time. 4 month old baby kinda changes plans around. But the no-hitter I was at last year can last in the memory banks for awhile.

I think Dodger Dogs are awful. I love hot dogs, but those are crap.

blockhead25 4 hours 51 min ago view
  • ayyyy...get a doyer dog, then.

• I'm going to be at this one! Am told a Dodger Dog is just a long hot dog. Disappointing.

• If my math is correct, if the Cubs play .500 baseball for the rest of the season, they will finish with 99 wins. I only just confirmed through Baseball Reference that 97 wins last year (and 2008) were the most Cubs wins in my lifetime. I think that last year while Arrieta was pitching better than Cy F. Young I didn't really get or appreciate what he was doing. I'm trying to try to grasp in the moment just how fucking remarkable this season is.

Jackstraw 6 hours 5 min ago view
  • This is awesome.

(CSN Chicago will air Vin Scully's call of the Sunday Cubs vs. Dodgers game...well for an inning at least)

• I figured this was going to be the most meaningless regular season in Cubs history...and it is pretty much on point, although I certainly didn't think we'd have close to a 14 game lead.

But, one bad hop in game 1 in October could change absolutely everything we will remember about this year.

blockhead25 7 hours 42 min ago view
  • oh he's great, there's like 10 great pitchers in the NL right now that can flat out dominate though. Picking #2 (behind Kershaw) doesn't matter much to me right now. Much like whom the Cubs will play in the playoffs won't matter much, they're gonna be good teams.

• The Cubs great pitching has a lot more to do with their great defense this year and plenty of good luck  (#1 in ERA, #4 in FIP behind Nats, Mets and Dodgers with a rather ridiculous .258 BABIP against Cubs' pitchers).

Cubs pitchers do strike out more hitters than Giants pitchers and do walk more hitters than Giants pitchers so that's a few more balls in play. Cubs' pitchers actually have a higher groundball rate though. Crawford is just really good and baseball happens.