Wed Funnies...meanwhile, back at Wrigley Field...

Timing has never been kind to the Cubs, and this "Party of the Century" is really, really unfortunate.

When I heard the first little blip about it being 1930's week and they mentioned "paint the sign green" and "Benjamin Moore" in the same sentence, well this one just wrote itself.
I'm totally a "Kool Aid drinker", as the beat guy for the Sun Times likes to call me (and you), and this will be the hardest season by far.
They're really not ready to bring people up.
To manage my own expectations, I've taken the possibility off the table in my own head.
Imagine if Javier Baez was in the Bigs right now...
Theo and Jed, before this season is over, are going to have to be thicker-skinned than anybody affilitated with the Cubs ever had to be.
Lee Elia?
A total sissy.
Next year, you have to think, they'll be able to show a tiny bit of The Plan coming to life.
In the Bigs.
Did you see Coghlan's at bat in the top of the 9th last night?
Yeah, Rosenthal's pretty good, but...
That at bat made me yell more unrepeatable words at the dogs than anything else that happened.

Besides Castro and Rizzo and assorted pitchers, about the only reason to watch right now is Mike Olt.
Not just for dingers, either - if Mike Olt can play third base and just be ummm... rookie-respectable - he seems like the one 2014 guy who Theo and Jed can point to and say, "See? Progress."
His role in the overall deal can be huge.
And his time is now so let him play every single day.

Comments

"And his time is now so let him play every single day."

Yeah -- good luck with that.

I don't have any dogs to yell at but that Coghlan at-bat had me scratching my head.

He did see three pitches, you have to give him that. Coghlan made it to the majors as an on-base guy (.383 OBP in the minors) with more walks than strikeouts.

It used to be, you could depend on a Cub hitter getting up there and hacking. That's changing, and for the better. But sometimes you'll get the opposite problem where he won't be able to pull the trigger.

He bailed out on three fast balls.

He acted like they were going to him on the ass.

Odorizzi had a no-hitter through 5.2 IP....sitting on my fantasy bench.

#firstworldproblems

CubbyBlue this one is epic and AMAZING! Laughed my ass off at the end too . .

Thanks Carlito. I think I babbled too much underneath though.

No game

• j.buchanan with a nice start...5ip 2h 1bb 3k, 0r/er

zobrist with 2HR and a double through 8

heyward 0-4 :(

crunch 1 hour 53 min ago view
  • Mark Gonzales @MDGonzales

Soler likely to return Sunday, Maddon says

• Right now, I'd like to see the Mets first, Giants 2nd.

I believe that since most of the team from last years' NLCS is on the squad this year, they will really amp their game up even more to kick their ass in payback for 2015.

The Giants just do not have the depth in years past, and I think all things equal - and at Wrigley - they could handle them.

I do not want to see the Cards, period. Or their fans, media, or Joe Buck.

• I don't want to play Braves in the first round. Any friggin team in the league can win 3 of 5..I hate the first round. Furthermore, I wanted to play the Marlins in 2003 and the Mets over Dodgers last year.

With that said in reverse order:
    3. Cardinals: It will be devastating to lose in the first round, but even worse to their main rival. It is increased incentive for the Cardinals, especially after last year. Cards would have nothing to lose, Cubs have everything to lose.

2. Giants: Rotation in the playoffs scare me a bit, but what a lousy team.

blockhead25 5 hours 34 min ago view
  • 1. Mets--because of the losses in the rotation
    2. Giants--because they're not the team they were BUT they maybe have bullshit even-year magic?
    3. Cardinals--because rivalry and not making the playoffs hurts them more than losing in the NLDS plus getting eliminated by them in the playoffs would make for horrible sports commentary next throughout next season.

• Who's asking?

jacos 7 hours 19 min ago view
  • #TeamEntropy

CLE/DET rained out last night already, possible rain-outs in New York (vs. Baltimore), Boston(vs. Toronto) and Philly(vs. Mets) this weekend too.

Not only games involving playoff spots that would need to be played, but any that involve home field advantage.

• I got the first one! Second one I'm not even sure what even/odd betting is.

• any opponent preference for NLDS?

Mets are down to 1 great pitcher instead of 4. Syndegaard may pitch Sunday which means if Mets win the WC game, he'd be set up for Game 1. There's a chance they clinch a spot by Sunday so he'd pitch the WC and then we'd probably get Colon for Game 1. They've certainly had the hottest bats over the last week and month out of the WC options.

• Rob Richardson 13 hours 40 min ago view
  • Can't teach height and thinness

jacos 15 hours 35 min ago view
  • Hopefully Pirates don't call up A. Lincoln.

jacos 1 day 1 hour ago view
  • j.buchanan going friday...should be...baseball...or something like it.

crunch 1 day 1 hour ago view
  • Wow. I didn't know they could do that.

Nice for Willson, not so much for Addy.

billybucks 1 day 1 hour ago view
  • Game is officially called...also officially a tie.

Stats count, no make-up date of course.

Rob G. 1 day 1 hour ago view
  • Yeah -- seeing the weather -- I hope KB and Rizz are inside, wrapped in blankets and drinking hot chocolate.

billybucks 1 day 2 hours ago view