Wed Funnies...meanwhile, back at Wrigley Field...

Timing has never been kind to the Cubs, and this "Party of the Century" is really, really unfortunate.

When I heard the first little blip about it being 1930's week and they mentioned "paint the sign green" and "Benjamin Moore" in the same sentence, well this one just wrote itself.
I'm totally a "Kool Aid drinker", as the beat guy for the Sun Times likes to call me (and you), and this will be the hardest season by far.
They're really not ready to bring people up.
To manage my own expectations, I've taken the possibility off the table in my own head.
Imagine if Javier Baez was in the Bigs right now...
Theo and Jed, before this season is over, are going to have to be thicker-skinned than anybody affilitated with the Cubs ever had to be.
Lee Elia?
A total sissy.
Next year, you have to think, they'll be able to show a tiny bit of The Plan coming to life.
In the Bigs.
Did you see Coghlan's at bat in the top of the 9th last night?
Yeah, Rosenthal's pretty good, but...
That at bat made me yell more unrepeatable words at the dogs than anything else that happened.

Besides Castro and Rizzo and assorted pitchers, about the only reason to watch right now is Mike Olt.
Not just for dingers, either - if Mike Olt can play third base and just be ummm... rookie-respectable - he seems like the one 2014 guy who Theo and Jed can point to and say, "See? Progress."
His role in the overall deal can be huge.
And his time is now so let him play every single day.

Comments

"And his time is now so let him play every single day."

Yeah -- good luck with that.

I don't have any dogs to yell at but that Coghlan at-bat had me scratching my head.

He did see three pitches, you have to give him that. Coghlan made it to the majors as an on-base guy (.383 OBP in the minors) with more walks than strikeouts.

It used to be, you could depend on a Cub hitter getting up there and hacking. That's changing, and for the better. But sometimes you'll get the opposite problem where he won't be able to pull the trigger.

He bailed out on three fast balls.

He acted like they were going to him on the ass.

Odorizzi had a no-hitter through 5.2 IP....sitting on my fantasy bench.

#firstworldproblems

CubbyBlue this one is epic and AMAZING! Laughed my ass off at the end too . .

Thanks Carlito. I think I babbled too much underneath though.

No game

• haha

crunch 3 min 59 sec ago view
  • Wow -- Chapman gives up a hit and everything completely caves in. I think the Cubs went into collective shock.

Stolen base with the pitcher holding the ball, WP that should have been caught or blocked, then Russell with a 2-out error on a routine play. Cubs handed them 2 runs. Throw in a Fowler bobble and it was a mess.

Hopefully, that is all out of their system now -- let's get a W tomorrow.

billybucks 1 hour 12 min ago view
  • First time I've ever seen a base running slump -- he's made some poor decisions recently, but I thought it was a great idea to try to score there -- it's not like Heyward was going to get a 2-out hit against a LHP. Sliding feet-first into home is probably the safe (ugh) way to go, but it's hard to get the foot on the plate.

billybucks 1 hour 13 min ago view
  • Yup. He got squeezed (twice) on the first walk, but, when you have one-run lead and the other team is trying to make an out -- take the out.

billybucks 1 hour 29 min ago view
  • Wasn't fun!

Brick 1 hour 34 min ago view
  • Clearly the Cubs need to clear out the farm and trade for another closer

Where's Ed Lynch when you need him?

Eric S 1 hour 35 min ago view
  • Those were more entertaining times.

Charlie 1 hour 42 min ago view
  • I wonder if there's an actual cause to this because they were going up hacking at everything. Wonder if scoring a bunch of runs makes you feel like you.can swing at anything and hit it.

johann 1 hour 49 min ago view
  • That second walk he gave Up was awful though with no pitches even close to being a strike. He was trying to pitch around bunt and that almost never works. That said Rondon should have been brought in after the first walk and should have been left in to finish the inning because he was looking like he had good stuff.

• Remember when Bryant used to be able to run the bases with impunity?

CTSteve 2 hours 6 min ago view
  • And Miggy costs them another run

Eric S 2 hours 12 min ago view
  • torres would easily be the system's #1 prospect. he's a middle IF'r that's showing he can stick there even as he's gaining bulk/muscle so far. that said, it's not like the distance between torres and jimenez is huge...it's torres's position value that would vault him in prospect status.

jimenez has the higher ceiling just isolating the bat aspect of his game.

it would suck to lose either, but torres is a very popular/valuable piece.

• Arrieta in line to lose the game too

Cruel game

Eric S 2 hours 13 min ago view
  • ...and chapman fails us. gives up the lead. boo.

• bringing in rondon to try to put out this fire is a nice luxury.

• Complete craziness bottom seven. Bottom line Cubs were fortunate to score a run

And of course Arrieta walks the first two batters in the eighth (to be fair he was totally squeezed on Zunino's walk to start the inning)

Eric S 2 hours 26 min ago view