Spring Training Camp Opens

Schwarber is doing his part to help out the autoglass industry, the Cahills are expecting a baby any day now, and it looks like Arrieta will get the Opening Day nod.

Comments

from the end of the last thread: Ah, that famous last Martini. Probably dirty with blue cheese olives. Carlos Piment-o-el says hello. Can one of you readers please market the Schwarberball? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Broken-Window-Basebal...

@CubsDen has pictures of Soler on Twitter. He's in crazy good shape.

I don't know. I think Heyward is the guy who might win the "best shape of his life" award: https://twitter.com/CubsDen/status/7007255307... I would also say that Kris Bryant is the guy on the roster with the most room to add strength to his frame, and gosh should that be scary.

• bradsbeard 8 hours 25 min ago (view)

Angels also make sense as a destination for Kris Bryant.

• azbobbop 1 day 1 hour ago (view)

I wonder if Maddon will take any of the coaches with him.

• Arizona Phil 1 day 3 hours ago (view)

I doubt that Maddon would have taken the job if the Angels aren't fully prepared to sign one or maybe even two FA TOR SP (like Gerrit Cole and/or Stephen Strasburg if he opts out).

When you have the best player in MLB and now the highest-paid manager, not making the playoffs again in 2020 just can't be acceptable.

• crunch 1 day 11 hours ago (view)

HOU/NYY postponed.

• crunch 1 day 14 hours ago (view)

as expected, joe maddon to be the new manager of the angels.

btw, it is unlikely tonight's HOU @ NYY (10/16) will happen because of rain that's going to start 3-4 hours before game time and carry well into the night.

• crunch 2 days 2 hours ago (view)

world series will be played in DC for the first time since 1933.  neat.

• crunch 2 days 5 hours ago (view)

and it's only getting worse...i mean, better.

7 runs to pad out the 1st.

• Craig A. 2 days 5 hours ago (view)

Oof. Hudson leaves the game after giving up five runs on singles and doubles and only getting one out.

• Arizona Phil 2 days 9 hours ago (view)

The thing about Kris Bryant is that he would probably be traded only to a club that feels that it under-achieved in 2019 and where the owner is exerting pressure from the top and who therefore will over-pay for two years of Kris Bryant.

• Charlie 2 days 14 hours ago (view)

Yeah, it seems like I lean more toward overvaluing Bryant than most commenters here. Also, I completely stopped following prospect lists once the Cubs were good again, so I'm out of the loop on Pache especially. I had imagined that the Cubs would be looking more for immediate major league value rather than a projectable prospect, but I guess if you really like Pache you don't mind waiting a couple years.

• K Dub 2 days 21 hours ago (view)

PHIL: Excellent breakdown, Phil. Thanks.

I'm sure you heard. QO value was set at $17.8 million the day after you made your post.

• K Dub 2 days 21 hours ago (view)

Pache, Wright, Muller and Riley feels light to you, Charlie? I respect your opinion, but I would jump at it. I highly doubt the Braves would do it, though. Were talking 2 years of Bryant at what could be 18 million and 28-30 million in his last year of arbitration.

The Cubs would be hurting their chances next year and building for 2021 in a deal like that, but that's rebuilding/retooling in one fell swoop.

• Arizona Phil 5 days 1 hour ago (view)

CHARLIE: Austin Riley is actually a third-baseman but he had to play LF for the Braves in 2019 because he was blocked by Josh Donaldson, and Cristian Pache is considered to be the best defensive centerfielder in the minors and his bat has improved enough over the past year or two to where he is now rated in or just outside the top ten overall prospects in MLB.

So a package that includes Riley and Pache and one of the Braves young MLB or MLB-ready SP would probably be more than enough to get the Cubs to bite.

• Dolorous Jon Lester 5 days 4 hours ago (view)

Max Fried or Bryse Wilson

• crunch 5 days 4 hours ago (view)

t.skaggs story keeps getting deeper.

allegations the team knew about skagg's drug abuse (also his family).  teams are required to report this to MLB.

• Charlie 5 days 7 hours ago (view)

Except for the headline, the linked post reads more like a trade hypothetical than a trade rumor. I like the idea of looking at this package as a discussion point for expected return for Bryant. I would say it feels a little light to me. It's deep, with two decent outfield prospects with upside and two OK pitching prospects. But Riley doesn't help the team solve the CF problem right now, so he's either redundant to Bote or sort of a Schwarber replacement. Muller's inflated BB% at AA this year worries me a bit too.