Pitchers Labor and Castro Hurt in Cub Loss

Elian Herrera singled twice, doubled, scored two runs, and drove-in another, and Alfredo Amezaga singled three times and drove-in two runs, leading the Dodgers to an 11-7 victory over the Cubs in Cactus League action this afternoon at Dwight Patterson Field at HoHoKam Park in Mesa, AZ.

Nate Schierholtz and Darwin Barney had two hits a piece, and combined to drive-in three of the Cubs runs.

box score

LHP Brooks Raley got the start for the Cubs and worked a 30-pitch 1st inning where the Dodgers loaded the bases on two singles and a walk before Raley uncorked a wild pitch that allowed the Dodgers to take a 1-0 lead.

The Cubs responded with a four-run 1st off Dodgers starter Aaron Harang.

Luis Valbuena (batting lead-off) cranked a line-drive double into the RF corner, and Starlin Castro and Anthony Rizzo followed with singles as the Cubs tied the game. Nate Schierholtz put the Cubs ahead with a sharply hit ground RBI single into RF to score Castro, and after Welington Castillo worked a walk to load the bases, Darwin Barney lined a two-strike two-out two-run RBI single to center.

Raley returned to the mound in the top of the 2nd and faced two more batters without recording an out (both runners reached base on singles and both runners scored). Raley threw a total of 49 pitches (only 22 strikes) in the game, coming on the heels of a start in an intrasquad game last week where he logged 55 pitches in just two innings of work. For the day, Raley allowed three runs on four hits and a walk in 1.0 IP, with a WP thrown in for good measure.

One-time Cubs top pitching prospect RHP Trey McNutt relieved Raley and immediately surrendered a rapid festival of line drives (a single, a two run double, an RBI single, and a sacrifice fly... plus a willd pitch) before finally retiring the side, as the Dodgers took a 5-4 lead.

NRI RHRP Jaye Chapman entered the game to start the 3rd and walked the first two men he faced and Scott Hairston dropped a fly ball in deep CF for an E-8 to load the bases, before a Jerry Hairston Jr SF and an Alfredo Almezaga RBI single plated two more runs for the Dodgers as Los Angeles took a 7-4 lead. Needing 31 pitches (only 15 strikes) to record the one out, Chapman was then relieved by Alberto Cabrera, who himself has struggled to throw strikes. But Cabrera actually restored order by inducing an inning-ending 5-4-3 DP, then set the side down 1-2-3 in the 4th in impresive fashion (two strikouts and a ground out), and struck out the lead-off hitter in the 5th... before getting hammered for two runs on four consecutive line-drive hits (three singles and a double) after logging pitch #20.

Meanwhile the Cubs scored one in the 3rd and two in the 4th, narrowing the Dodger lead to 8-7 at one point.

Nate Schierholtz and Welington Castillo reached base on singles in the 3rd, and then Schierholtz scored when Darwin Barney reached base on an infield single plus a throwing error by Dodger 3rd baseman Omar Luna (who had a shaky day in the field).

Junior Lake walked to lead-off the 4th, stole second, and then scored when Starlin Castro reached base on a throwing error by shortstop Dee Gordon (who made an ill-advised throw after ranging far to his left to even get the ball in the first place). Castro limped into 1st base and left the game with what appeared to be a left leg injury at this point, and PR Johermyn Chavez eventually came around to score on a walk, a passed ball, and a Scott Hairston SF.

Cubs NRI LHP Hisanori Takahashi surrendered a solo HR to Alex Castellanos in the top of the 7th to complete the day's scoring.

Michael Bowden, Shawn Camp, and James Russell did work clean (1-2-3) innings in the 6th, 8th, and 9th (which at least allowed the game to end before 5:00 local time), but by that point the Dodgers had a commanding lead, and the Cubs offense was mostly silent over the final five innings.

Comments

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/02/28/us-... Yow. This could get interesting if the team is found liable for the fan's injury. It was at a Boise Hawks (cubs) game, btw. Some states already have laws shielding park owners/teams from being sued for stuff like this...not Idaho, though. (Reuters) - An Idaho man who lost an eye after being hit by a ball during a minor league baseball game can move forward with a lawsuit against stadium owners and the team, the Idaho Supreme Court said.

"The hammy is a little tight," Castro said after working with the team's medical staff. "I don't think it will be too bad. When I got to first base I felt it when I touched the base. After I came out I stretched and ran a little bit. Let's see (Thursday) how I feel and what the trainer tells me. I think it is going to be (alright)." http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/cubs/post/_/i...

"Chicago Cubs pitcher Matt Garza, who is recovering from a strained left lat, will throw from 90 feet on Thursday." http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/cubs/post/_/i...

Chicago Cubs starter Matt Garza will begin playing catch Thursday and appears resigned to missing the first two weeks of the regular season. - See more at: http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball...

Great

there goes the Series!!!

stay healthy to be traded, is all I ask

cubs win...also laaaaaaaaaaaame that MLB network is blacking out in my area the mets/nats game even during ST because i'm in a Nats/O's blackout area...even though the Nats play a few 100 miles away and there's -0- televised games here (even if you get the most expansive add-on "sports" package). /first world problems

very well done commercial...Dick's Sporting Goods, baseball themed of course.

"Ian Stewart (quad) isn't expected to resume hitting for another week."

And even when he gets back, he isn't expected to resume hitting.

• First.Pitch.120 4 hours 23 min ago (view)

Cotton McKnight: In 23 years of broadcasting I thought I'd seen it all, folks. But it looks like Peter La Fleur has actually blindfolded himself.

Pepper Brooks: He will not be able to see very well, Cotton.

• First.Pitch.120 4 hours 25 min ago (view)

Yes! Exactly... I'd love to be able to watch coverages in football or just key-in on a great WR to watch them work.

• First.Pitch.120 4 hours 27 min ago (view)

Wow... this is the most engagement I have ever received on any topic on social media platform. Please stay tuned for my opinions on the Oxford Comma, the APA Style Manual for Academic Writing, and the auto-correct on my iPhone.

I am an awesome guy at parties....

• bradsbeard 14 hours 51 min ago (view)

I watched some of the Puerto Rican Winter League games that Miguel Amaya played in this winter. At least one broadcast had a super wide shot for balls in play that let you see the OF and the baserunners at the same time. It was awesome.

• Wrigley Rat 17 hours 57 min ago (view)

3 dots on this evening's Cubs-Dodgers game - makes sense & they do color in the 3rd dot as they're going to commericals (Spectrum Sportsnet).

• crunch 20 hours 10 min ago (view)

3 dot crew represent.  i didn't have an opinion, but now i'm 100% on board.

• Charlie 20 hours 18 min ago (view)

I agree on most of this, but I especially support three fillable dots for the outs--and fill in the third before cutting to a commercial!

Not doing homework on the players in a Spring Training broadcast is pretty forgiveable, but ESPN is really bad about it pretty much all year. It would be nice if they made a habit of picking up a local color commentator and sort of interviewing them throughout games.

• George Altman 1 day 21 min ago (view)

The single thing I want in a sports broadcast is to become smarter about the sport,  to learn something from the broadcast crew.

Stone does that, Romo does that, Eddie O on hockey, and that's about it. I watch sporting events with the sound down very low or off. I forgot more about baseball than most broadcasters will ever know, and I'm always shocked when I see something in a football game that the crew doesn't,  and I know about NOTHING about football.

• First.Pitch.120 1 day 2 hours ago (view)

Also... what is with only having 2 dots as the outs counter? I know that you don't really need the 3rd dot, but I find it counter-intuitive. If the dots fill in, then only having 2 throws me off b/c it's natural to subitize "3" associated with outs. You quickly see 0/3, 1/3, 2/3.  If the graphic does not have fill-in dots, then just put the #.  eg - OUTS: 1  It's minimalism for the sake of minimalism, not graphic design for effective communication.

• crunch 1 day 3 hours ago (view)

tight shots + insane amount of screen real estate being taken up with graphics is a bit of a plague...especially the ones with a non-stop bottom news ticker.

• First.Pitch.120 1 day 3 hours ago (view)

General comment on baseball broadcasting... I think that the color comentator (CC) needs to talk about 30% more & the PBP about 30% less. I would love a more stream of consciousness from the CC outlining what they would be looking for in a given situation. To that end, why not have 2 CC for national broadcasts - one a pitcher & one a position player. Would love for them to banter back & forth on micro strategy from their perspectives. I think this would turn the game's pauses between action into more of an asset.

• crunch 1 day 4 hours ago (view)

brews sign j.bradley 2/24m...decent deal for a quality CF'r.  he can opt out of the 2nd year.

• crunch 1 day 5 hours ago (view)

the national broadcasts on ESPN suffer badly from a lack of "homework" on the teams they're covering.

yesterday i heard more riffing between the announcers about each other more than the players.  the only thing that saved them from more of that and dead air was in-progress action and player interviews (too many player interviews, but it's spring so whatever).

• Hagsag 1 day 8 hours ago (view)

Not impressed with ESPN's broadcast. I like Mendoza's work, but how many kids did we have to see rolling around the grass. Good day to see some young players ,but half the time you had no idea who was batting or pitching.

• crunch 1 day 17 hours ago (view)

cubs game totally not a delay broadcast for ESPN...thanks for that gem heyward.

dunno if they'll be printing up any "You better have your shit in line" t-shirts, but it's as least as good as "Try not to suck"

• Dolorous Jon Lester 1 day 19 hours ago (view)

Jason Adam is another who throws short arm. I don't think he was a position player, but maybe falls into the arm injury category?