Baez Owns Lester, Apparently
Jeffrey Baez belted a solo home run leading off the game and contributed two RBI doubles later in the contest (all three run-scoring hits coming off Jon Lester), but it wasn't enough as Carlos Penalver drilled a solo HR leading off the bottom of the 1st inning, Wladmir Galindo smacked a solo shot onto the freeway berm beyond the left field fence in the bottom of the 6th, and Jonathan Sierra belted a two-run home run in the bottom of the 7th, helping the Iowa Cubs (AAA affiliate of the Chicago Cubs) rally to tie the Tennessee Smokies (Cubs AA affiliate) 7-7 on Field #6, and Carlos Sepulveda singled, doubled, and tripled, scored two runs, and drove-in two more, Trent Giambrone belted a three-run HR, walked, stole a base, and scored two runs, Connor Myers doubled, walked, stole two bases, and scored a run, and RHSP Thomas Hatch (Cubs 2016 3rd round draft pick - Oklahoma State) hurled three innings of shutout ball with five strikeouts, leading the Myrtle Beach Pelicans (Cubs Hi-A affiliate) to a 9-1 victory over the South Bend Cubs (Lo-A affiliate of the Chicago Cubs) on Field #5, in Minor League Camp intrasquad doubleheader game action this morning at the Riverview Baseball Complex in Mesa, AZ.
Chicago Cubs ace LHSP Jon Lester came over to Minor League Camp to get his scheduled game work, but the Tennessee Smokies were ready for him, hammering him to the tune of six runs on nine hits (including three doubles, two triples, and a home run). Lester eventually recorded 12 outs (including three strikeouts) and did not issue any walks, but he left the game with his team trailing 6-3.
Willson Conteras was Lester's catcher, and he batted five times in six innings, going 1-4 with a single and a walk, and two strikeouts. He also was thrown out attempting to steal a base. Defensively he was 0-1 CS.
Sometimes called the "Other Baez" by those who follow the Cubs farm system, Jeffey Baez was signed by the Cubs previous regime as a 16-year old International Free-Agent out of Venezuela in July 2010. Now 23, the "other Baez" has moved somewhat slowly (fits & starts) through the Cubs system over the past six years, only occasionally showing the five-tool package the Cubs thought they had when they signed him. But he does have skills (plus-arm, plus-power, plus-speed), and he was MVP of Cubs Extended Spring Training in both 2013 and 2014 (he led the EXST Cubs in home runs both seasons), and he tied for the league lead in stolen bases in the Carolina League in 2016 (built like an NFL running back, Baez is an excellent base stealer). But 2017 is a make-or-break year for the Jeffrey Baez Cub connection, because he is eligible to be an MLB Rule 55 six-year minor league free-agent post-2017, and so the Cubs must decide by 5 PM (Eastern) five days after the final game of the World Series whether to add him to their MLB 40-man roster, or let him walk away as a minor league free-agent (or possibly trade him before he hits free-agency). He is projected to be the starting RF at AA Tennessee in 2017 (although he can play all three outfield positions), so we will just have to wait and see how Baez performs at the AA level, and what the Cubs will choose to do with him post-2017. I'm not sure the Cubs will want to let a talent like Jeffrey Baez just walk away after investing so much time and effort in his development.
It was a "bullpen day" for both the South Bend Cubs and Tennessee Smokies, with a number of pitchers battling for pen jobs getting an inning of work. The best performance of the day among the relievers who threw in the two games was turned-in by Iowa Cubs RHRP Daniel Corcino, who threw high-octane gas past three Smokies hitters while striking out the side1-2-3 in the 7th. Tennessee RHRP Scott Effross also struck out the side 1-2-3 in his one inning of work.
Here are the box scores from the two games:
SOUTH BEND LINEUP:
1. Jose Gutierrez, CF: 1-3 (P-6, 1B, 6-3, BB, SB)
2. Andruw Monasterio, SS-DH: 0-4 (F-9, K, E-3, F-8, CS)
3a. Jhonny Pereda, C: 0-3 (K, K, 4-3)
3b. Miguel Amaya, C: 1-1 (2B, RBI)
4a. Kwang-Min Kwon, RF: 2-3 (E-5, 1B, 1B)
4b. Zach Davis, RF: 0-1 (K)
5a. Jose Paniagua, 1B: 0-1 (HBP, P-4)
5b. Michael Cruz, 1B: 1-2 (1B, 5-3)
6a. Ruben Reyes, LF: 0-3 (6-4-3 DP, 4-6-3 DP, 6-3 DP)
6b. Luis Ayala, LF: 0-0 (BB)
7a. Adonis Paula, 3B: 0-3 (K, K, 5-3)
7b. Richard Nunez, PH: 0-1 (4-6 FC, SB)
8a. Edgar Rondon, 2B: 1-3 (K, 1B, 6-3, SB)
8b. Yeiler Peguero, 2B: 0-1 (K)
9. Zach Short, DH-SS: 1-2 (1B, K, HBP, R)
MYRTLE BEACH LINEUP:
1. Carlos Sepulveda, 2B: 3-4 (3B, 6-3, 2B, 1B, 2 R, 2 RBI, CS)
2. D. J. Wilson, CF: 1-5 (K, 4-3, P-5, 1B, K, RBI)
3a. Connor Myers, LF: 1-2 (2B, K, BB, R, RBI, 2 SB)
3b. Tolly Filotei, LF: 0-1 (1-3 SH, 4-3)
4. Matt Rose, 3B: 0-2 (5-3, 4-3, BB, F-8 SF, R, RBI)
5. Trent Giambrone, DH: 1-3 (K, BB, HR, 6-3, 2 R, 3 RBI, SB)
6. Robert Garcia, RF: 0-3 (K, 1-3 SH, F-7, 3-U)
7a. Tyler Alamo, 1B: 1-2 (E-5, 2B, R, RBI)
7b. Kevin Zamudio, 1B: 0-1 (F-8, BB)
8a. Sam Tidaback, C: 0-1 (HBP, P-3)
8b. Franklin Tineo, C: 0-1 (BB, 4-6 FC, SB, CS)
9a. Bryant Flete, SS: 0-1 (P-5, HBP)
9b. Delvin Zinn, PR-SS: 0-1 (BB, F-9, 2 R, SB)
SOUTH BEND PITCHERS:
1. Oscar de la Cruz: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1/0 GO/AO
2. Manuel Rodriguez: 1.0, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP, 1/1 GO/AO
3. Colton Freeman: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 2/0 GO/AO
4. Ho-Young Son: 0.2 IP, 1 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 1/1 GO/AO
5. Nathan Sweeney: 0.1 IP, 2 H, 4 R (4 ER), 1 BB, 1 HBP, 1 HR, 0/1 GO/AO
6. Andry Rondon: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K, 0/2 GO/AO
7. Pablo Ochoa: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 2 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 0 K, 2/1 GO/AO
8. Junior Marte: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K, 2/1 GO/AO
9. Javier Assad: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1/0 GO/AO
MYRTLE BEACH PITCHERS:
1. Thomas Hatch: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 5 K, 1 HBP, 1 GIDP, 1/2 GO/AO
2. Tyler Peyton: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1 GIDP, 1/1 GO/AO
3. Dillon Maples: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1/0 GO/AO
4. Jose Leidenz: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1/0 GO/AO
5. Michael Rucker: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1 GIDP, 2/0 GO/AO
6. Tanner Griggs: 0.2 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP, 0/1 GO/AO
7. Mark Malave: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 2/0 GO/AO
SOUTH BEND ERRORS: 2
1. 3B Adonis Paula: E-5 (dropped pop fly allowing batter to reach base safely)
2. P Nathan Sweeney: E-1 (errant pick-off attempt at 1st base allowed runner to advance to 2nd)
MYRTLE BEACH ERRORS: 2
1. 1B Tyler Alamo: E-3 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. 1B Kevin Zamudi: E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
SOUTH BEND CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Jhonny Pereda: 0-3 CS
2. Miguel Amaya: 2-4 CS
MYRTLE BEACH CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Sam Tidaback: 0-2 CS
2. Franklin Tineo: 1-2 CS
MYRTLE BEACH OUTFIELD ASSIST:
RF Robert Garcia threw-out batter (Kwang-Min Kwon) attempting to stretch single into double
1. Jeffrey Baez, RF: 3-4 (HR, 2B, 2B, K, R, 3 RBI)
2. Daniel Spingola, LF: 0-4 (4-3, K, 4-3, K)
3. Cael Brockmeyer, 1B: 1-4 (K, 3B, 6-3, K, R)
4. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 0-4 (L-5, 6-3, P-6, 4-3, RBI)
5a. Tyler Pearson, C-DH: 1-3 (3B, E-5, K, R)
5b. Marcus Mastrobuoni, PH: 1-1 (2B)
6. Andrew Ely, 2B-SS: 1-4 (6-3, 6-3 DP, 1B, K, RBI, SB)
7a. Aramis Ademan, SS: 2-2 (1B, 1B, 2 R, SB)
7b. Jhonny Bethencourt, 2B: 1-1 (1B, CS)
NOTE: SLOT WAS SKIPPED FOURTH TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
8a. Vimael Machin, DH #1: 2-3 (1B, 2B, 4-3, R)
8b. Ian Rice, C: 0-1 (K)
9a. Roberto Caro, CF: 0-1 (K, F-9 SF, RBI)
9b. Brandon Cummins, CF: 0-0 (BB, SB)
10. Jose Gonzalez, DH #2: 0-1 (K)
NOTE SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TWO TIMES THRU BATTING ORDER
X-1. Willson Contreras, C: 1-4 (K, 1B, BB, K, F-8, CS)
NOTE: Contreras batted second in the 1st inning, and led-off the 2nd, 3rd, 4th & 6th innings
X-2. Ali Solis, C: 1-3 (6-3, 2B, L-6, R)
NOTE: Solis batted fourth in the 6th inning, third in the 7th, and fifth in the 8th
1a. Carlos Penalver, SS: 1-1 (HR, BB, R, RBI)
1b. Rafael Narea, SS: 0-2 (K, K)
2. Stephen Bruno, 2B: 1-3 (K, 4-3, 2B, RBI)
NOTE: SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
3. Yasiel Balaguert, 1B-DH: 1-3 (1B, K, 5-3, R, SB)
NOTE: SLOT WAS SKIPPED FOURTH TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
4. Todd Glaesmann, RF-CF: 0-2 (BB, K, K, R)
NOTE: SLOT WAS SKIPPED FOURTH TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
5a. Trey Martin, CF: 1-2 (2B, K, 2 RBI)
5b. Jonathan Sierra, RF: 1-2 (F-9, HR, R, 2 RBI)
6. Wladimir Galindo, 3B: 1-4 (P-3, 3-U, HR, F-8, R, RBI)
7. Kevonte Mitchell, LF: 1-3 (F-8, K, 2B, R, SB)
8. Rafael Mejia, DH-1B: 0-3 (P-4, F-9, F-8)
1. Jonathan Martinez: 1.0 IP, 4 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 0/2 GO/AO
2. Josh Conway: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 1 K, 0/1 GO/AO
3. Scott Effross: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K
4. Pedro Araujo: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1/1 GO/AO
5. Cole Brocker: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1/1 GO/AO
6. Daniel Lewis: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HR
7. Daury Torrez: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 1/1 GO/AO
8. Mario Meza: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 0/2 GO/AO
1. Jon Lester: 4.0 IP, 9 H, 6 R (6 ER), 0 BB, 3 K, 1 HR, 1 GIDP, 5/2 GO/AO
2. Jordan Pries: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1/1 GO/AO
3. Randy McCurry: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1/1 GO/AO
4. Daniel Corcino: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K
5. Juan Carlos Paniagua: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1/0 GO/AO
TENNESSEE ERRORS: NONE
IOWA ERRORS: 1
3B Wladmir Galindo: E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
TENNESSEE CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Tyler Pearson: 1-2 CS
2. Ian Rice: 0-1 CS
IOWA CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Willson Contreras: 0-1 CS
2. Ali Solis: 1-3 CS
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 80's
crunch 29 min 25 sec ago (view)
j.means throws a no-hitter for the O's...first since jim palmer in 1969.
also, this is the 3rd no-hitter on the year that would have been a perfect game if not for a sole "mistake" (2x hbp (rondon/musgrove) + dropped 3rd strike (means)).
Charlie 1 hour 31 min ago (view)
That is a solid recap--thank you!
Eric S 3 hours 28 min ago (view)
Childersb3 9 hours 5 min ago (view)
Since Jake Arrieta won't be ready to pitch in four or five days, I hope they keep Keegan up there. I'd say he deserves to start one more game for them until Jake comes back.
Arizona Phil 18 hours 4 min ago (view)
RHP Kohl Stewart was recalled from AAA Iowa as the "27th man" for Game # 2 of the doubleheader but he did not pitch in the game.
The 27th man is only available for both games if the doubleheader was scheduled as the resuilt of a postponed game from a previous series, so since the doubleheader resulted from the first game of the current series being postponed, the 27th man was only available for the second game.
Arizona Phil 18 hours 39 min ago (view)
The Cubs have released RHRP Brandon Workman. He was Designated for Assignment last Thursday.
So the Cubs are now on the hook for Workman's $1M salary, but it would be offset by the pro-rated MLB minimum salary if he were to sign an MLB contract with another club, or sign a minor league contract with another club and then have his contract selected to an MLB 40-man roster.
Arizona Phil 18 hours 41 min ago (view)
The Cubs have signed second contract minor league FA LHP Alex Katz (ex-KC) and RHP Austin Krzeminski (ex-LAA) to minor league contracts.
Charlie 18 hours 53 min ago (view)
If you predicted the Cubs take both sides of the doubleheader vs Kershaw and Bauer, I hope you put some money on it.
crunch 20 hours 7 min ago (view)
i wish i didn't have to crash and get up early. hate missing the rest of this. wow.
crunch 20 hours 26 min ago (view)
...and a solo HR to follow it up. that's neat-o.
crunch 20 hours 27 min ago (view)
hey, look...runner scores on a wild pitch.
crunch 20 hours 30 min ago (view)
hol up...we really bringing maples into a game where a guy starts on 2nd with 0 out?
alright...we're living dangerously.
crunch 20 hours 45 min ago (view)
kimbrel blew the save, giving up a solo homer, but this isn't a case of "kimbrel sucking"...he looked good.
crunch 21 hours 33 min ago (view)
damn this is a good game.
bauer keeps coming close to screwing up badly and gets out of it. cubs have a 1 run lead and it seems like it should be a few more.
thompson looked great since an "average at best" 1st inning.
Jackstraw 22 hours 22 min ago (view)
"Go get 'em, kid. We've got three of the best guys on our roster out there behind you, and the other guy on the bump, well, his Cy Young should come with an asterisk."
Childersb3 23 hours 9 min ago (view)
It's the opening night for MiLB, I knew SB was now A+ ball, and of course I get confused the first time I look at the GameDay for SB just now.
That's going to take the full season to get used too.